Unfortunately, a large majority of drivers kept their coverage with the same insurance company for over three years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never shopped around. Many drivers in Portland could save an average of as much as $1,000 each year, but they just don’t understand how much they could save if they switched to a cheaper policy.
To save the most money, the best way to get low-cost auto insurance rates in Portland is to start comparing rates regularly from insurance carriers who sell insurance in Oregon.
- First, try to learn about the different coverages in a policy and the things you can control to prevent high rates. Many things that result in higher prices like speeding tickets, careless driving and a negative credit history can be rectified by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Second, compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Third, compare the quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if cheaper Soul EV coverage is available. If you find a lower rate quote and switch companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, tell your current company of your intent to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit a completed policy application and payment to your new carrier. As soon as you can, place your new certificate verifying proof of insurance above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
A key point to remember is to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote and and to get quotes from as many different companies as possible. This guarantees an accurate price comparison and maximum price selection.
Getting quotes for more affordable protection in Portland is not as difficult as people think. Essentially every vehicle owner who needs lower cost insurance will find a lower-cost company. Nevertheless, Oregon drivers do need to understand how big insurance companies calculate their prices and use it to your advantage.
Auto insurance providers offering cheap prices in Oregon
The companies in the list below can provide price comparisons in Oregon. To get the best cheap auto insurance in Portland, it’s a good idea that you visit several of them to find the most competitive auto insurance rates.
Discounts for cheaper auto insurance rates
Companies don’t list all possible discounts very clearly, so the list below contains both well-publicized and also the more inconspicuous discounts that you may qualify for.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Factory air bags or motorized seat belts may qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- Telematics Data – Insureds who allow their company to spy on driving manner by using a telematic data system such as State Farm’s In-Drive could save a few bucks if they are good drivers.
- Sign Online – Some larger companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy on your computer.
- Renewal Discounts – Some larger companies give discounts for buying a policy early. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking part in a safe driver class could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Life Insurance – Auto insurance companies who offer life insurance give a lower rate if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Bundle and Save – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you may save up to 20% off your total Soul EV insurance premium.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Driving fewer miles could earn lower auto insurance rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or former government employment could provide a small rate reduction but check with your company.
Don’t be surprised that most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. Most only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, that’s just not realistic.
A few companies that have most of these discounts include:
When quoting, ask all the companies which discounts you may be entitled to. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply in your area.
There’s no such thing as the perfect car insurance policy
When it comes to buying insurance from an agent or online for your vehicles, there really isn’t a cookie cutter policy. Every insured’s situation is different and your policy should reflect that. Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Can good grades get a discount?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Shop online but buy locally
Certain consumers still prefer to go talk to an agent and we recommend doing that The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get cheap car insurance rates and still have a local agent. Putting coverage with small agencies is still important in Portland.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance data gets sent to companies in Portland who want to provide quotes for your business. You never need to leave your house because prices are sent directly to your email. You can find lower rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If for some reason you want to quote rates for a specific company, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Types of auto insurance agents
If you would like to find a reputable agency, it’s helpful to know the different types of agents that you can select. Agents in Portland may be either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent often have affiliation with several companies so they have the ability to put coverage with an assortment of companies and get the cheapest rates. If your agent finds better pricing, your policy is moved internally which requires no work on your part.
If you need cheaper car insurance rates, it’s recommended you get insurance quotes from multiple independent agents to maximize your price options. They often place coverage with smaller companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Featured below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Portland that may be able to give you competitive price quotes.
- Ross and Associates Insurance Services, Inc.
9201 SE 91st Ave – Portland, OR 97086 – (503) 698-3833 – View Map
- WelPland Insurance, SE Portland and Clackamas County
5845 SE 82nd Ave – Portland, OR 97266 – (503) 777-5406 – View Map
- Stamm Stuart Bybee Insurance
16455 SE Division St – Portland, OR 97236 – (971) 254-1148 – View Map
These agents write business for a single company and examples are Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. Exclusive agents are unable to shop your coverage around so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are well schooled on what they offer and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Consumers often buy from the same agent for years mostly because of the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
The following are exclusive insurance agencies in Portland who can help you get rate quotes.
- Reggie Guyton – State Farm Insurance Agent
8180 N Lombard St – Portland, OR 97203 – (503) 289-3601 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Damian Gobel
1511 SE 122nd Ave – Portland, OR 97233 – (503) 255-3490 – View Map
- John Lokting – State Farm Insurance Agent
307 SE 102nd Ave – Portland, OR 97216 – (503) 252-5581 – View Map
Selecting a auto insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- How many years have they been established?
Do the work, save more money
You just learned many ideas to get a better price on Kia Soul EV insurance in Portland. The key concept to understand is the more you quote Portland auto insurance, the higher your chance of finding affordable Portland auto insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from the smaller companies. Smaller companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates compared to the large companies like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
When getting Portland auto insurance quotes online, make sure you don’t buy poor coverage just to save money. There are a lot of situations where consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage only to find out they didn’t have enough coverage. Your focus should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
For more information, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Insurance is Cheapest with Multiple Speeding Tickets in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Veterans in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Portland Auto Insurance Rates for a 20 Year Old Female? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Auto Insurance Rates After a Speeding Ticket? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for a Company Car in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Hyundai Elantra in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Real Estate Agents in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Teenage Females in Portland? (FAQ)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Learn About Car Insurance (GEICO)
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)