The easiest way to get the cheapest car insurance prices is to start comparing rates regularly from insurance carriers who can sell car insurance in Portland.
Step 1: Spend a few minutes and learn about car insurance and the factors you can control to keep rates down. Many things that cause high rates such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and a less-than-favorable credit score can be eliminated by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Continue reading for more details to find cheap prices and find overlooked discounts.
Step 2: Compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from multiple sources.
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate quote and buy the policy, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
Step 4: Notify your company or agent of your intention to cancel your current policy and submit a down payment along with a signed application to your new agent or company. When you receive it, keep your new certificate verifying coverage somewhere easily accessible.
The key aspect of shopping around is that you use identical limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get price quotes from every insurance company. Doing this provides a fair rate comparison and a good representation of prices.
It's easy to assume that car insurance companies want to keep you from comparing rates. Insureds who perform rate comparisons are very likely to switch companies because there is a good chance of finding a lower-priced policy. Remarkably, a study showed that people who shopped around every year saved about $3,500 over four years compared to other drivers who never shopped around for lower prices.
If saving money on insurance is the reason you're reading this, then having a grasp of the best way to compare coverage rates can help you succeed in saving money.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$808||$404||$67|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$888||$444||$74|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4WD||$1,006||$503||$84|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$716||$358||$60|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD||$844||$422||$70|
|Ford F-150 STX Regular Cab 4WD||$784||$392||$65|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$852||$426||$71|
|GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$888||$444||$74|
|Honda Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$698||$349||$58|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$698||$349||$58|
|Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$964||$482||$80|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$884||$442||$74|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$946||$473||$79|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$870||$435||$73|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$870||$435||$73|
|Get Rate Quotes for Your Vehicle Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Information does not factor in Portland location which can modify insurance rates noticeably.
The quickest method to get policy rate comparisons is to know the fact most of the larger companies pay for the opportunity to compare rate quotes. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is give them some information including an estimate of your credit level, if it has an anti-theft system, distance driven, and if you are currently licensed. Your information is instantly sent to multiple different insurance companies and they respond with quotes quickly.
To compare rates for your car now, click here and complete the quick form.
The companies shown below offer price comparisons in Portland, OR. If your goal is to find the cheapest auto insurance in Portland, OR, we suggest you get rates from several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Get cheaper car insurance with these tips
Many factors are part of the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving history, but other factors are not as apparent such as your marital status and annual miles driven.
The list below includes just a few of the factors that factor into your premiums.
- Long commutes cost more - Driving more miles in a year's time the more you'll pay to insure your vehicle. Most companies calculate rates based on their usage. Vehicles left parked in the garage can get a lower rate than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Verify your policy is showing the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- The higher your credit rating the lower your costs - Having a bad credit rating factor in determining your rates. Therefore, if your credit history can be improved, you could save money insuring your vehicle by spending a little time repairing your credit. Insureds that have very good credit scores tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower ratings.
- Filing claims can cost you - If you file claims often, you can look forward to increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Companies in Oregon provide lower rates to policyholders that do not abuse their auto insurance. Auto insurance is intended to be relied upon for more catastrophic claims.
- Rates are affected by your address - Choosing to live in less populated areas has it's advantages when insuring your vehicles. People in densely populated areas have to deal with more auto accidents and more severe claims. Fewer drivers on the road means reduced accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft.
Three main reasons to buy auto insurance
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a vehicle in Portland, auto insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, almost every bank will stipulate that you carry insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender may insure your vehicle for a much higher rate and require you to fork over for it.
- Auto insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. Insurance will also pay for all forms of medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you cause an accident and are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your auto insurance policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially with large liability claims. Today the average American driver is wasting up to $850 per year so compare quotes from several companies each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.