How many times have you told yourself it’s time to shop around for low-cost Ford F-150 insurance in Portland? Finding cheaper insurance for a Ford F-150 in Oregon can turn out to be a painful process, but you can follow a few tricks to find lower rates.
There is a right way and a wrong way to shop for car insurance and we’ll show you the best way to quote coverages for a new or used Ford and get the lowest price.
It’s a great practice to quote other rates occasionally because car insurance prices change frequently. If you had the lowest price on Ford F-150 insurance in Portland a year ago you can probably find a better rate quote now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you’re about to learn the fastest way to get good coverage on Ford F-150 insurance in Portland at a lower rate.
If you are already insured or just want cheaper coverage, you can use these techniques to cut your premiums without having to cut coverage. Quoting the most affordable policy in Portland is actually quite simple. Consumers just need to know the proper way to compare company rates from many different companies online.
The providers in the list below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Portland, OR. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you get price quotes from several of them to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
Car insurance protects more than just your car
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Ford F-150 in Portland, maintaining insurance is required in Oregon but it also protects you in many ways.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to buy a specific level of liability in order to drive the car legally. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will force you to have full coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender will be forced to insure your Ford at an extremely high rate and force you to pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects not only your Ford but also your assets. It will also pay for medical bills for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your Ford gets damaged, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your car are definitely more than the cost, especially if you ever need it. As of last year, the average driver in Oregon overpays as much as $810 a year so smart consumers compare quotes at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Rates and detailed analysis
The data table displayed next highlights a range of policy rates for Ford F-150 models. Learning as much as possible about how car insurance premiums are calculated can help guide drivers when making informed decisions when comparing rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|F-150 XL Regular Cab 2WD||$184||$262||$362||$22||$108||$938||$78|
|F-150 STX Regular Cab 2WD||$184||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,012||$84|
|F-150 XL Super Cab 2WD||$184||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,012||$84|
|F-150 XLT Regular Cab 2WD||$184||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,012||$84|
|F-150 STX Super Cab 2WD||$184||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,012||$84|
|F-150 XL Crew Cab 2WD||$212||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,040||$87|
|F-150 XLT Super Cab 2WD||$212||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,040||$87|
|F-150 STX Regular Cab 4WD||$212||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,040||$87|
|F-150 XL Regular Cab 4WD||$212||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,040||$87|
|F-150 FX2 Super Cab 2WD||$212||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,040||$87|
|F-150 XLT Crew Cab 2WD||$212||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,040||$87|
|F-150 XL Super Cab 4WD||$212||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,040||$87|
|F-150 XLT Regular Cab 4WD||$212||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,040||$87|
|F-150 XL Crew Cab 4WD||$240||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,068||$89|
|F-150 STX Super Cab 4WD||$240||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,068||$89|
|F-150 XLT Super Cab 4WD||$240||$336||$362||$22||$108||$1,068||$89|
|F-150 FX2 2WD||$240||$408||$362||$22||$108||$1,140||$95|
|F-150 Lariat Super Cab 2WD||$240||$408||$362||$22||$108||$1,140||$95|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 2WD||$240||$408||$362||$22||$108||$1,140||$95|
|F-150 FX4 Super Cab 4WD||$240||$408||$362||$22||$108||$1,140||$95|
|F-150 XLT Crew Cab 4WD||$240||$408||$362||$22||$108||$1,140||$95|
|F-150 FX4 4WD||$240||$408||$362||$22||$108||$1,140||$95|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4WD||$240||$408||$362||$22||$108||$1,140||$95|
|F-150 SVT Raptor Super Cab 4WD||$240||$408||$362||$22||$108||$1,140||$95|
|F-150 Lariat Super Cab 4WD||$240||$408||$362||$22||$108||$1,140||$95|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 2WD||$240||$480||$362||$22||$108||$1,212||$101|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 2WD||$240||$480||$362||$22||$108||$1,212||$101|
|F-150 Lariat King Ranch 2WD||$240||$480||$362||$22||$108||$1,212||$101|
|F-150 Lariat King Ranch 4WD||$266||$480||$362||$22||$108||$1,238||$103|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Harley 4WD||$266||$480||$362||$22||$108||$1,238||$103|
|F-150 Lariat Crew Cab Platinum 4WD||$266||$480||$362||$22||$108||$1,238||$103|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Information does not factor in specific garaging location which can influence coverage rates considerably.
Does full coverage make sense?
The diagram below shows the comparison of Ford F-150 car insurance rates with and without full coverage. Data assumes no tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, marital status is single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
When to stop paying for full coverage
There is no definitive formula to stop paying for comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general convention. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Ford F-150 replacement value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, you would only receive $2,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $200 a year for physical damage coverage, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are a few situations where removing full coverage is not a good plan. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to keep full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Auto insurance discounts help lower rates for Ford F-150 insurance in Portland
Some insurance providers don’t list all possible discounts very well, so we took the time to find some of the more common and also the more inconspicuous credits that you can use to lower your rates. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you deserve, you may be paying too high a price.
- No Accidents – Portland drivers who stay claim-free have much lower rates compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Home Ownership Discount – Just being a homeowner may trigger a policy discount on auto insurance because owning a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Accident Forgiveness – Not a discount per se, but certain companies allow you one accident without the usual rate increase so long as you are claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Safe Driver Discount – Insureds without accidents may receive a discount up to 45% as compared to drivers with claims.
- Paperwork-free – A handful of larger companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy over the internet.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Fewer annual miles on your Ford could be rewarded with better auto insurance rates on cars that stay parked.
Just know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Most cut specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, that’s just not realistic. But all discounts will lower your overall premium however.
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Ford F-150 annual premium costs with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The data is based on a female driver, no claims or driving violations, Oregon state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, multi-car, marriage, and homeowner discounts applied.
A list of auto insurance companies and their offered discounts are shown below.
- GEICO offers discounts including defensive driver, air bags, good student, seat belt use, five-year accident-free, membership and employees, and anti-theft.
- MetLife may include discounts for claim-free, good student, multi-policy, accident-free, and defensive driver.
- Progressive may have discounts that include multi-policy, online signing, homeowner, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, and continuous coverage.
- Travelers may offer discounts for student away at school, home ownership, driver training, new car, and early quote.
- SAFECO offers discounts for bundle discounts, safe driver, homeowner, anti-theft, and drive less.
- AAA has discounts for multi-car, good student, multi-policy, pay-in-full, anti-theft, and education and occupation.
If you want cheaper Portland auto insurance quotes, ask each insurance company how many discounts you can get. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be available to policyholders in your state.
Neighborhood agents and car insurance
Many people still like to visit with an insurance agent and that is not a bad decision Most agents can help you build your policy and help file insurance claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is that you can find lower auto insurance rates and also buy local. Supporting local insurance agencies is important especially in Portland.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is instantly submitted to local insurance agents that provide free Portland auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to visit any agencies since rate quotes are delivered directly to your email. If you need to get a rate quote from a specific company, feel free to navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
Shown below is a list of car insurance companies in Portland that are able to give rate quotes for Ford F-150 insurance in Portland.
- Propel Insurance
888 SW 5th Ave #1170 – Portland, OR 97204 – (503) 467-7540 – View Map
- Ross and Associates Insurance Services, Inc.
9201 SE 91st Ave – Portland, OR 97086 – (503) 698-3833 – View Map
- Reggie Guyton – State Farm Insurance Agent
8180 N Lombard St – Portland, OR 97203 – (503) 289-3601 – View Map
- Mark Nguyen – State Farm Insurance Agent
14146 SE Stark St – Portland, OR 97233 – (503) 253-2110 – View Map
Picking the best provider needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
After you get reasonable responses to your questions in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you’ve probably found an insurer that meets your needs to service your policy. But remember, you are able to cancel your coverage at any point so don’t think that you are permanently stuck with any specific company for a certain time period.
Don’t give up on cheap rates
When trying to cut insurance costs, never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. Too many times, drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and learned later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost, not the least amount of coverage.
More affordable auto insurance in Portland is attainable on the web as well as from insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some auto insurance companies may not provide price quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies only sell through independent agents.
We just showed you many ways to get a better price on Ford F-150 insurance in Portland. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. Consumers could even find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a small mutual company.
Steps to buying low-cost Ford F-150 insurance in Portland
The best way we recommend to find low-cost Ford F-150 insurance is to start comparing prices regularly from insurance carriers in Portland. Price quotes can be compared by completing these steps.
- First, learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the things you can control to prevent high rates. Many risk factors that result in higher prices like accidents, traffic violations, and a low credit score can be remedied by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Second, quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Third, compare the quotes to your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you can save money and make a switch, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Fourth, tell your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your current coverage. Submit a down payment along with a signed application to your new carrier. As soon as you have the new policy, put the certificate verifying proof of insurance in an easily accessible location.
An essential thing to point out is that you’ll want to make sure you compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to compare all possible companies. This provides a fair price comparison and many rates to choose from.
Additional detailed information can be read by following these links:
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Car Insurance Rates for College Students? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Government Employees in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford Edge? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Ford Escape in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 70? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Business Use in Portland? (FAQ)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- Parking Tips to Reduce Door Dings (State Farm)