Remarkably, a study showed that a large majority of consumers have bought car insurance from the same company for a minimum of four years, and just short of a majority have never quoted rates to find cheap coverage. Many drivers in Portland could save themselves nearly $970 a year just by shopping around, but they mistakenly think it’s difficult to find cheap rates by getting comparison quotes.
If you want to save money, the best way to save money on car insurance rates in Portland is to regularly compare price quotes from different companies in Oregon. You can compare prices by following these steps.
- Step 1: Spend a few minutes and learn about what coverages are included in your policy and the factors you can control to keep rates low. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates like traffic tickets, fender benders, and a poor credit score can be controlled by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article gives additional ideas to get cheaper rates and find more discounts that you may not know about.
- Step 2: Request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices from many different companies.
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to the price on your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you can save money and buy the policy, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
The critical component of shopping around is to try to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on every price quote and to quote with as many auto insurance providers as possible. This provides an apples-to-apples comparison and the best rate selection.
The companies shown below are ready to provide free quotes in Oregon. To get cheaper auto insurance in Portland, OR, we suggest you visit two to three different companies in order to find the cheapest rates.
Protect more than your Spark
Even though it can be expensive, insurance is required in Oregon but it also protects you in many ways.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability in order to drive the car. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Chevy Spark, it’s guaranteed your bank will require that you have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Chevy at a more expensive rate and require you to fork over the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards your Chevy and your assets. It will also reimburse you for medical bills incurred in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver overpays as much as $820 a year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison once a year at a minimum to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Cheaper Chevy Spark insurance in Portland
Buying insurance is not cheap, but there could be significant discounts to help bring down the price. Certain reductions will be credited at the time of purchase, but some must be asked about before you get the savings.
- Federal Government Employee – Employees or retirees of the government could qualify for a slight premium decrease but check with your company.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By making one initial payment rather than spreading payments over time you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Student in College – Kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Homeowners Savings – Just owning your own home can save a few bucks since home ownership shows financial diligence.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS and/or traction control are safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars, trucks, and SUVs optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and will qualify for a discount on a Portland auto insurance quote.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving less can qualify you for discounted insurance rates on garaged vehicles.
- Driver Education Discount – Require your teen driver to enroll and complete driver’s education if offered at their school.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to use their safety belts can save a little on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Paper-free Discount – Many insurance companies give back up to $50 for signing up on your computer.
Discounts lower rates, but many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So when the math indicates you could get a free insurance policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
Large insurance companies and a selection of discounts can be found below.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for multi-policy, military active duty, membership and employees, daytime running lights, defensive driver, and multi-vehicle.
- MetLife discounts include accident-free, multi-policy, defensive driver, claim-free, and good student.
- State Farm may include discounts for safe vehicle, good driver, multiple policy, driver’s education, defensive driving training, anti-theft, and student away at school.
- Progressive has savings for online quote discount, multi-policy, continuous coverage, online signing, and good student.
- Mercury Insurance may have discounts that include good driver, accident-free, multi-car, anti-theft, and professional/association.
- 21st Century has discounts for homeowners, early bird, defensive driver, automatic seat belts, teen driver, and good student.
- Allstate includes discounts for early signing, auto/life discount, multi-policy, good student, utility vehicle, farm vehicle, and teenSMART discount.
Double check with each company to apply every possible discount. Some credits may not be available in your state. To locate insurance companies with discount insurance rates in Portland, click this link.
Independent versus exclusive insurance agents
A lot of people would prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is just fine! Insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and will help you if you have claims. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get cheaper rates and still choose a local agent.
After filling out this quick form, the quote information is submitted to insurance agents in Portland that can provide free Portland auto insurance quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to find an agent due to the fact that quote results will go to your email. If you need to quote rates from a specific insurance provider, you would need to visit that company’s website to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing the best insurance company needs to be determined by more than just a low price. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- What companies can they write with?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Portland?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
If you would like to find a reliable insurance agent, there are a couple of different types of agents that you can select. Insurance policy providers can be described as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either one can sell affordable insurance policies, but it’s good to learn the difference in the companies they write for because it can influence the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can only provide one company’s prices and examples are AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. They are well trained on what they offer and that can be a competitive advantage.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Portland who can help you get comparison quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents are appointed with more than one company and that gives them the ability to insure through many different insurance companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. If prices rise, they can switch companies in-house and you can keep the same agent.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, it’s recommended you include rate quotes from several independent insurance agents in order to compare the most rates.
Shown below are Portland independent agencies who can help you get comparison quotes.
Once you have good responses to any questions you may have as well as an affordable premium quote, you may have just found an insurance agency that is professional and can service your policy.
Everyone needs different insurance coverages
When choosing your policy, there really isn’t a “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if you might need professional guidance.
- Is a blown tire covered by insurance?
- What does medical payments cover?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Oregon?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of insurance companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Best auto insurance in Portland
Finding the top insurer can be rather challenging considering how many choices there are in Portland. The information listed below can help you decide which insurers you want to consider comparing rate quotes with.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- Titan Insurance – 95%
- USAA – 94%
- AAA Insurance – 91%
- Nationwide – 90%
- State Farm – 90%
- The Hartford – 89%
- GEICO – 89%
- 21st Century – 88%
- Liberty Mutual – 88%
- Allstate – 88%
A little work can save a LOT of money
We just showed you a lot of techniques to find cheaper Chevy Spark insurance in Portland. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get prices for, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers could even find that the best premium rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Smaller companies may only write in your state and offer lower prices as compared to the big name companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
When buying insurance coverage, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced collision coverage and learned later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The aim is to find the BEST coverage for the lowest price.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be read at these sites:
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- How Much are Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for Postal Workers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Veterans in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Portland Auto Insurance Rates for a 20 Year Old Female? (FAQ)
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Side airbags reduce rollover fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)