Sadly, the majority of drivers have remained with the same car insurance company for a minimum of four years, and nearly half have never even shopped around for cheaper coverage. Consumers in Oregon could save about $970 a year just by comparing rates, but they don’t believe how much money they would save if they replace their high priced policy.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to find more affordable Volvo V60 insurance is to compare prices at least once a year from different companies that sell auto insurance in Portland. You can shop around by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Try to learn a little about what coverages are included in your policy and the modifications you can make to drop your rates. Many policy risk factors that cause rate increases like your driving record and your credit history can be amended by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article provides tips to get cheaper coverage and find available discounts that you may qualify for.
- Step 2: Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can quote prices from multiple sources.
- Step 3: Compare the quotes to your existing rates and see if you can save money. If you can save some money, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
One thing to point out is to use similar coverage information on each quote request and and to get rates from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this enables an accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Finding more affordable insurance quotes is an easy way to save money. You just have to spend a few minutes comparing rate quotes from online providers.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it replaces the need to drive around to all the different Portland insurance agencies. Comparing online rate quotes makes this unnecessary unless you require the personal advice that only an agent can give. It is possible with some companies price shop online but have a local agent actually write the policy.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in Oregon. If you want to find cheap auto insurance in OR, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
Why you need insurance for your vehicle
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Volvo in Portland, paying for car insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Volvo V60, it’s guaranteed your bank will require that you have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Volvo for a lot more money and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. Insurance will also pay for hospital and medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability coverage also pays for attorney fees and expenses in the event you are sued. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially with large liability claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays more than $700 annually so compare rate quotes at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Learn How to Lower Your Insurance Premiums
When buying insurance it’s important to understand the different types of things that help calculate the price you pay for insurance. If you have a feel for what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that could help you find lower insurance prices. Lots of factors are considered when quoting car insurance. A few of the factors are predictable like an MVR report, but other criteria are less apparent like your vehicle usage or your commute time.
Shown below are some of the items insurance companies consider when setting rates.
- Safeguard your assets with liability – Liability coverage is the protection if ever you are responsible for damages caused by your negligence. Your policy’s liability insurance provides for a legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to comp and collision, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Women tend to cost less – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that females take fewer risks when driving. However, don’t assume that women are better drivers. They both cause at-fault accidents in similar percentages, but the men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. In addition to higher claims, males also get more serious tickets such as reckless driving. Male teenagers are the most expensive to insure and therefore pay the highest rates.
- Prices impacted by vehicle usage – The higher the mileage driven each year the more you’ll pay to insure it. A lot of companies charge rates determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos used primarily for pleasure use can get a lower rate than those used for commuting. Verify your insurance policy is rated on annual mileage. Improper usage on your V60 can cost quite a bit.
- Married drivers get cheaper premiums – Being married helps lower the price on your insurance policy. Having a spouse demonstrates that you tend to be more mature and it’s proven that married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
- Pay more out-of-pocket – Protection for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your Volvo from damage. Some examples of covered claims could be colliding with a building, hitting a deer, and rolling your vehicle. The deductibles you choose represent how much money the insured will be required to pay if the claim is covered. The more of the claim you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Improve your credit rating – An insured’s credit rating will be a significant factor in determining what you pay for insurance. If your credit can be improved, you may save money insuring your Volvo V60 by improving your credit score. Insureds with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims than drivers with lower credit ratings.
- Youthful drivers cost more – Teenage drivers in Oregon tend to be less responsible when driving with friends so they pay higher insurance rates. Mature drivers are more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and get fewer tickets.
Insurance loss statistics a Volvo V60 – Insurers include the past claim trends for vehicles to help determine the price you pay. Models that the data shows to have high amounts or severity of claims will be charged more to insure.
The information below illustrates the actual insurance loss data for Volvo V60 vehicles. For each coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles averaged together equals 100. Numbers that are below 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while values over 100 indicate frequent claims or larger claims.
Volvo V60 Insurance Loss Statistics Specific Volvo Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Volvo V60 2WD 68 53 Volvo V60 4WD 136 75BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Some insurance providers don’t always publicize all available discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so here is a list both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious savings tricks you should be using when you buy Portland auto insurance online.
- Memberships – Being in a professional or civic organization may earn a discount when getting a Portland auto insurance quote.
- Safe Driver Discount – Insureds who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accident claims.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS braking systems or traction control can reduce accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or retired federal employment could qualify for a slight premium decrease depending on your company.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying in monthly installments you may reduce your total bill.
- Onboard Data Collection – Insureds who allow their insurance company to track when and where they use their vehicle through the use of a telematics system like Allstate’s Drivewise might get better premium rates if their driving habits are good.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Insuring primary and secondary vehicles on one policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- One Accident Forgiven – This one isn’t a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will let one accident slide before raising your premiums if you are claim-free before the accident.
Don’t be surprised that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like all those discounts means the company will pay you, insurance companies aren’t that generous.
Car insurance companies that possibly offer these benefits include:
When getting free Portland auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to every company which credits you are entitled to. Discounts might not be offered in your area.
Auto insurance agents are trained to help
Some consumers just prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that can be a great decision Good agents can help determine the best coverages and help submit paperwork. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance online is you may find the best rates but also keep your business local.
Once you complete this quick form, the quote information is sent to local insurance agents that give free quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to contact any agents because quoted prices will be sent instantly to you. If you want to get a price quote from a specific company, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking the best insurance company shouldn’t rely on just a cheap price. These questions are important to ask:
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
Compare rates from both independent and exclusive car insurance agents
When narrowing the list to find a good insurance agency, you must know there are a couple types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Agents in Portland can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Both write policy coverage, but it is a good idea to know the difference in the companies they write for since it can affect your selection of an agent.
These type of agents can only provide pricing for a single company and examples are American Family, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. They are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which can be an advantage.
Shown below is a list of exclusive agencies in Portland who may provide you with price quotes.
These agents are not restricted to one company and that gives them the ability to insure through many companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. If premiums increase, your agent can just switch to a different company which is easy for the insured. If you are comparing rate quotes, you absolutely need to include at least one independent agent to get the most accurate price comparison.
Shown below are Portland independent insurance agents that can give you comparison quotes.
WelPland Insurance, SE Portland and Clackamas County
5845 SE 82nd Ave – Portland, OR 97266 – (503) 777-5406 – View Map
Upon receiving satisfactory answers to your questions as well as a affordable price, you may have just found an auto insurance agent that will adequately provide insurance.
Auto insurance company ratings
Insuring your vehicle with a high-quality auto insurance provider can be a challenge considering how many choices drivers have in Portland. The company rank data below may help you select which coverage providers to look at comparing price quotes from.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
Affordable auto insurance rates are possible
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, never skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits and discovered at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The ultimate goal is to buy enough coverage at the best possible price while still protecting your assets.
Cheap Volvo V60 insurance in Portland can be purchased from both online companies and with local Portland insurance agents, so you need to shop Portland auto insurance with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers do not provide internet price quotes and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through local independent agents.
- Alcohol Impaired Driving FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much are Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for Postal Workers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Car Insurance Quotes for Used Cars? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Government Employees in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Drivers Requiring a SR22 in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 25? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Unemployed Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Hyundai Elantra in Portland? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)