Smart shoppers know that insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. Consumers who compare rates once a year will probably switch companies because of the good chance of finding a cheaper policy. A recent survey found that people who faithfully checked for cheaper rates saved approximately $70 a month compared to other drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the cheapest rates on Volkswagen e-Golf insurance in Portland is the reason for your visit, then having some insight into the best way to shop and compare insurance coverage can make it simple to find affordable coverage.
The preferred way to get more affordable car insurance rates is to compare prices annually from insurers who provide auto insurance in Portland. Drivers can shop around by completing these steps.
First, it will benefit you to learn about individual coverages and the things you can change to drop your rates. Many risk factors that drive up the price like your driving record and a lousy credit rating can be improved by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
Second, compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide price quotes for many different companies. View prices
Third, compare the price quotes to your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available in Portland. If you find a lower rate quote and decide to switch, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
Fourth, give notification to your current company of your intent to cancel the current policy. Submit a down payment along with a signed application to your new carrier. Once the paperwork is finalized, put the proof of insurance paperwork along with your vehicle registration.
The key aspect of shopping around is to make sure you’re comparing identical coverage information on every price quote and and to look at all possible companies. Doing this provides the most accurate price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Comparison shopping for the lowest-priced auto insurance policy in Portland is quite easy. If you’re already insured or are shopping for new coverage, follow these tips to get lower rates and still have adequate protection. Smart buyers just need to know the most efficient way to shop for auto insurance from many companies at once.
Most larger insurance companies allow consumers to get pricing from their websites. Doing online quotes for Volkswagen e-Golf insurance in Portland is very simple because you just enter your coverage preferences as detailed in the form. When complete, their quoting system makes automated requests for your driving record and credit report and generates pricing information based on these and other factors.
Being able to quote online for Volkswagen e-Golf insurance in Portland simplifies rate comparisons, and it’s necessary to perform this step in order to get cheap prices.
If you want to compare rates now, compare quotes from the companies shown below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you duplicate coverages and limits identical to your current policy. This makes sure you will receive a price comparison using the exact same coverages.
The companies shown below are ready to provide price comparisons in Oregon. To locate cheaper auto insurance in Portland, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the most affordable price.
Auto insurance is not optional in Oregon
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Volkswagen in Portland, auto insurance is required in Oregon but it also protects you in many ways.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, most banks will require you to have comprehensive coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your Volkswagen for a lot more money and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects your Volkswagen and your assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay to defend you if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you have damage to your Volkswagen as the result of the weather or an accident, your policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your car more than offset the price you pay, especially when you need to use it. But the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $850 per year so compare rates at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Portland insurance discounts
Car insurance companies don’t list all their discounts very well, so the below list has some of the more common as well as some of the hidden credits available to bring down your rates.
- Early Signing – A few larger companies offer discounts for signing up prior to your current e-Golf insurance policy expiration. It can save you around 10%.
- Auto/Life Discount – Some companies give better prices if you take out a life policy as well.
- Drivers Education – Require your teen driver to complete a driver education course as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Sign Online – Some of the larger companies will give a small break simply for signing on their website.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you can combine your auto and home policy and place coverage with the same company you could save as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars and trucks equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more on e-Golf insurance in Portland.
- Telematics Data – Drivers that enable driving data collection to scrutinize where and when they drive remotely such as State Farm’s In-Drive might get better premium rates if they have good driving habits.
Policy discounts save money, but most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Popular insurance companies and some of the discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm has savings for defensive driving training, multiple policy, driver’s education, Steer Clear safe driver discount, Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, and accident-free.
- Farmers Insurance offers premium reductions for alternative fuel, mature driver, bundle discounts, multi-car, homeowner, distant student, and electronic funds transfer.
- GEICO offers discounts including emergency military deployment, defensive driver, air bags, multi-vehicle, anti-lock brakes, and anti-theft.
- American Family may offer discounts for mySafetyValet, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, bundled insurance, Steer into Savings, and accident-free.
- Nationwide policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, defensive driving, easy pay, Farm Bureau membership, accident-free, and business or organization.
- Progressive has discounts for homeowner, online quote discount, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, and good student.
Before buying, ask all the companies which discounts you may be entitled to. All car insurance discounts may not be available everywhere. To see a list of providers who offer discounts in Portland, click this link.
What if I want to buy from local Portland auto insurance agents?
A lot of people just want to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is a smart decision Good insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and will help you if you have claims. An additional benefit of price shopping on the web is that you can obtain the best rates and also buy local. Putting coverage with local insurance agencies is definitely important in Portland.
Upon completion of this quick form, your coverage information is submitted to companies in Portland who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to find an agent on your own since rate quotes are delivered immediately to you. If you need to get a rate quote from one company in particular, you can always jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Two types of auto insurance agents
If you are searching for a local Portland insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents and how they are distinctly different. Insurance agents can either be independent agents or exclusive agents. Both do a good job, but it’s good to learn the difference between them because it can influence your agent selection.
Independent Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent do not write with just one company and that gives them the ability to insure with an assortment of companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies and you don’t have to find a new agent. When comparing insurance prices, you should always contact at least one independent agent to have the most options to choose from. Most also write with small regional insurance companies that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
The following is a list of independent insurance agencies in Portland that may be able to provide comparison quotes.
- Elliott, Powell, Baden and Baker Inc
1521 SW Salmon St – Portland, OR 97205 – (503) 227-1771 – View Map
- Hecht and Hecht Insurance Agency Inc.
425 NE Hancock St – Portland, OR 97212 – (503) 542-1130 – View Map
- Fournier Group
510 SW 5th Ave #701 – Portland, OR 97204 – (503) 251-2255 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These agents work for only one company like State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on what they offer and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers often use the same exclusive agent mostly because of the brand legacy rather than having low rates.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Portland that are able to give price quote information.
- Lidia Mazun – State Farm Insurance Agent
11916 SE Division St – Portland, OR 97266 – (503) 761-1444 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Dick Hannah Insurance Agency
12345 E Burnside St – Portland, OR 97233 – (360) 816-8439 – View Map
- Michael Holton – State Farm Insurance Agent
7113 SW Macadam Ave – Portland, OR 97219 – (503) 517-9090 – View Map
Deciding on an insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a low price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- How long has their agency been in business in Portland?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Portland?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
What is YOUR best insurance company?
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s a bad idea to reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many instances, someone sacrificed liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at the best cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
Consumers change insurance companies for many reasons like delays in paying claims, high prices, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and unfair underwriting practices. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a great new company can be easier than you think.
Some companies do not offer the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these smaller providers only sell coverage through independent agents. Lower-priced Volkswagen e-Golf insurance in Portland can be bought on the web and with local Portland insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture.
Additional information is located below:
- What to do at the Scene of an Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Toyota Tacoma in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Camry in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Subaru Outback in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Real Estate Agents in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much is Portland Car Insurance for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)