A recent auto insurance study revealed that the vast majority of auto insurance customers have been with the same company for a minimum of four years, and about 40% of consumers have never quoted rates to find cheap coverage. Consumers in Portland could save an average of nearly $970 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they mistakenly think it’s difficult to find cheap auto insurance rates.
The best way we recommend to get low-cost Dodge Viper insurance is to regularly compare price quotes from insurers who provide car insurance in Portland. Rate comparisons can be done by following these steps.
- Read about how companies set rates and the modifications you can make to keep rates in check. Many rating factors that cause rate increases like speeding tickets, careless driving and a low credit rating can be improved by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Compare rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices for many different companies.
- Compare the new quotes to the price on your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money and buy the policy, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
One thing to remember is to compare identical limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to analyze every company you can. Doing this provides an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
The companies shown below provide quotes in Portland, OR. If your goal is to find cheap car insurance in Oregon, we recommend you visit two to three different companies in order to find the most affordable rates.
Insurance coverage details
The premium table below showcases estimates of insurance rates for Dodge Viper models. Understanding how auto insurance prices are figured can assist in making informed purchases.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Viper SRT/10 2-Dr Coupe||$324||$694||$330||$20||$98||$1,466||$122|
|Viper SRT/10 2-Dr Roadster||$324||$694||$330||$20||$98||$1,466||$122|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Premium costs do not factor in specific location which can lower or raise auto insurance rates considerably.
Full coverage or liability only
The example below illustrates the comparison of Dodge Viper insurance prices when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The data assumes no violations or claims, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to switch to liability coverage only
There is no definitive rule to eliminate comp and collision coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Dodge Viper replacement cost is $5,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, you would only receive $4,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying more than $400 a year for physical damage coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some cases where removing full coverage is not advised. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to carry full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should maintain full coverage.
Get cheaper Dodge Viper insurance in Portland with discounts
Companies don’t always list all possible discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so below is a list a few of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Portland car insurance online. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, it’s possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Drivers Education – Have your child enroll and complete driver’s education in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Professional Organizations – Participating in a civic or occupational organization in Portland could qualify you for a break when shopping for auto insurance.
- Mature Driver Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for better auto insurance rates.
- Federal Government Employee – Active or retired federal employment could provide a small rate reduction depending on your company.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than less cautious drivers.
- Driving Data Discount – Insureds that choose to allow driving data submission to monitor driving patterns by using a telematics device in their vehicle like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm could save a few bucks if their driving habits are good.
Don’t be shocked that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Despite the fact that it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you won’t be that lucky. Any amount of discount should help lower your policy premium.
The example below shows the comparison of Dodge Viper annual premium costs with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The information is based on a female driver, no claims or driving citations, Oregon state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, claim-free, marriage, homeowner, multi-policy, and safe-driver discounts applied.
Larger auto insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are detailed below.
- American Family may offer discounts for early bird, TimeAway discount, accident-free, Steer into Savings, and air bags.
- Nationwide offers premium reductions for easy pay, multi-policy, accident-free, business or organization, and defensive driving.
- MetLife offers discounts including good driver, multi-policy, defensive driver, claim-free, accident-free, and good student.
- 21st Century may have discounts that include theft prevention, driver training, good student, homeowners, and defensive driver.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including pay in full, mature driver, alternative fuel, early shopping, teen driver, homeowner, and electronic funds transfer.
- Allstate discounts include passive restraint, early signing, good student, 55 and retired, multi-policy, and teenSMART discount.
It’s a good idea to ask all companies you are considering which discounts you may be entitled to. Some discounts may not apply to policies in every state. To locate insurers that have a full spectrum of discounts in Portland, click here to view.
Insurance protects more than just your car
Even though it can be expensive, paying for insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability protection in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your Dodge, almost every bank will have a requirement that you buy insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If the policy lapses, the bank may insure your Dodge at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
- Insurance preserves both your assets and your vehicle. It also can pay for many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your Viper greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. As of last year, the average driver in Oregon is wasting up to $810 a year so it’s important to compare rates at every renewal to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Can’t I compare rate quotes from local Portland car insurance agents?
A small number of people still prefer to sit down with an agent and that is a smart decision Experienced insurance agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. One of the great benefits of comparing rate quotes online is you may find cheap insurance quotes and still buy from a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), your information is sent to participating agents in Portland that can provide free Portland car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no reason to do any legwork because prices are sent directly to your email. If you wish to quote rates from a specific insurance provider, you would need to navigate to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Deciding on an insurer is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. The following questions are important to ask.
- Does their agency support local causes in Portland?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
When looking for a reliable insurance agent, it helps to know the two different types of agents that you can choose from. Insurance agencies are considered either independent or exclusive. Either one can write policy coverage, but it is important to understand the difference in how they write coverage since it could factor into your selection of an agent.
Exclusive insurance agents can only quote rates from one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate and AAA. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive agents are highly trained on their company’s products which can be an advantage. Some people will only purchase coverage from exclusives primarily because of high brand loyalty rather than having low rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive agents in Portland that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Ricky Hayter – State Farm Insurance Agent
7112 NE Sandy Blvd – Portland, OR 97213 – (503) 253-9315 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Damian Gobel
1511 SE 122nd Ave – Portland, OR 97233 – (503) 255-3490 – View Map
- Mariko Locke – State Farm Insurance Agent
5048 SE Hawthorne Blvd a – Portland, OR 97215 – (503) 232-2444 – View Map
Agents that choose to be independent often have affiliation with several companies and that gives them the ability to insure with lots of companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply move your policy to a different company and the insured can keep the same agent. If you are comparing insurance prices, it’s recommended you check rates from independent agents to get the best comparison. A lot of them also have access to small mutual carriers which can save you money.
Shown below is a short list of independent agents in Portland that are able to give rate quotes.
- Focus 1 Insurance
1500 NW 18th Ave #107 – Portland, OR 97209 – (503) 206-6588 – View Map
- Wix Insurance Agency
8037 SE Stark St – Portland, OR 97215 – (503) 760-6826 – View Map
- Matthew K Barnett Agency
3332 N Lombard St – Portland, OR 97217 – (503) 285-2546 – View Map