It takes a few minutes, but the best way to find affordable quotes for auto insurance rates is to regularly compare quotes from different companies who sell insurance in Portland.
First, it will benefit you to learn about individual coverages and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates like traffic citations and a substandard credit score can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely.
Second, quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from many different companies. View insurance agents
Third, compare the price quotes to your existing rates and see if you can save money. If you find better rates and make a switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, notify your current company of your intent to cancel the current policy. Submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to your new carrier. Once received, store the certificate of insurance somewhere easily accessible.
A good tip to remember is that you use identical deductibles and limits on each quote and and to get prices from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this provides the most accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
Remarkably, a study showed that a large majority of drivers have been with the same company for well over three years, and just short of a majority have never compared auto insurance rates at all. Drivers in Portland could save roughly 60% each year just by shopping around, but they just assume it’s a time-consuming process to compare rates online.
If you have coverage now, you will definitely be able to reduce the price you pay using the tips covered below. Locating the best rates in Portland is actually quite easy if you know where to start. Although Oregon drivers need to learn how big insurance companies sell insurance online and apply this information to your search.
The best way to compare rate quotes for Acura NSX insurance in Portland is to know all the major auto insurance companies actually pay money for the chance to compare their rates. The one thing you need to do is take a few minutes to give details like your education level, deductibles desired, the make and model of your vehicles, and the ages of drivers. Your details is then sent to insurance carriers in your area and you will receive price estimates almost instantly.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here then complete the form.
The companies in the list below can provide free quotes in Portland, OR. If your goal is to find cheaper auto insurance in Oregon, we suggest you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
Score discounts on Portland insurance
Not too many consumers would say insurance is affordable, but you might be missing out on some discounts to cut the cost considerably. Some discounts apply automatically when you quote, but some may not be applied and must be requested specifically before they will apply. If you do not check that you are getting every discount available, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Telematics Data – Drivers who elect to allow driving data submission to spy on their driving habits by using a telematic data system such as Progressive’s Snapshot could possibly reduce rates if they have good driving habits.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed with a military unit could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Federal Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government could cut as much as 10% off but check with your company.
- Driver’s Ed – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully complete driver’s ed class in high school.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars and trucks with ABS braking systems or traction control can avoid accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- 55 and Retired – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens can get a discount up to 10%.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you have multiple policies and insure them both with the same insurance company you may earn as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Distant Student – Youth drivers who live away from home to go to college without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
It’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only apply to individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though you would think all the discounts add up to a free policy, that’s just not realistic.
A list of insurance companies and their offered discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm offers discounts including safe vehicle, good driver, defensive driving training, multiple autos, driver’s education, and student away at school.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-policy, online signing, good student, online quote discount, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
- Progressive discounts include online signing, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, good student, and continuous coverage.
- MetLife may offer discounts for good driver, multi-policy, claim-free, defensive driver, accident-free, and good student.
- Farm Bureau has savings for multi-policy, good student, driver training, youthful driver, multi-vehicle, and safe driver.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, daytime running lights, emergency military deployment, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include teen safe driver, drive less, anti-theft, safe driver, accident prevention training, and anti-lock brakes.
If you want inexpensive Portland auto insurance quotes, ask each company or agent which credits you are entitled to. All car insurance discounts might not be offered in Portland. If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Portland, click here.
Should I talk to a local insurance agent?
A lot of people prefer to go talk to an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. A good thing about comparing rate quotes online is that you can obtain lower premium rates and still choose a local agent. And buying from local insurance agencies is definitely important in Portland.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), the quote information is submitted to agents in your area who will give competitive quotes for your insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to leave your computer because prices are sent instantly to you. It’s the lowest rates without requiring a lot of work. If you want to quote rates from a specific company, you would need to jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Is an exclusive or independent car insurance agent right for you?
When finding an insurance agent, it’s important to understand the different types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Auto insurance agencies are classified as either independent or exclusive.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are not employed by one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with any number of different companies and get the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, your policy is moved internally which makes it simple for you.
When comparing rate quotes, you definitely need to get quotes from several independent agencies to get the most accurate price comparison.
Listed below is a small list of independent agencies in Portland that may be able to give price quotes.
Metro One Insurance Agency
3423 S Telegraph Rd, Dearborn, MI 48124 – Dearborn, OR 48124 – (313) 456-9455 – View Map
These type of agents are contracted to one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. Exclusive agents cannot provide prices from multiple companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive insurance agents are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Below is a short list of exclusive agents in Portland willing to provide comparison quotes.
Deciding on an insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a cheap quote. Here are some questions you should ask.
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Portland?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- How are claims handled?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
How much auto insurance do I need?
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For instance, these questions could help you determine whether you may require specific advice.
- What is PIP insurance?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Where can I find high-risk insurance?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
Ratings for Portland car insurance companies
Finding the highest-rated car insurance company can be challenging considering how many companies are available to choose from in Portland. The information below can help you select which car insurance providers you want to consider when comparing rates.
|Company||Value||Customer Service||Claims||Customer Satisfaction||A.M Best Rating||Overall Score|
|Compare Rates Now Go|
Data Source: Insure.com Best Car Insurance Companies
Specific coverage details
Knowing the specifics of your auto insurance policy aids in choosing which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Auto liability – This coverage can cover injuries or damage you cause to other people or property in an accident. Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. Your policy might show values of 25/50/20 that translate to $25,000 bodily injury coverage, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $20,000. Occasionally you may see a combined limit which limits claims to one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as repair costs for stationary objects, loss of income, medical expenses and pain and suffering. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a decision to put some thought into, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Oregon requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/20 but drivers should carry more liability than the minimum.
The next chart demonstrates why the minimum limit may not be adequate coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage – Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. This coverage pays for hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your Acura NSX.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (which is 25/50/20), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea. Normally these coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Comprehensive coverage – This coverage will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for things like rock chips in glass, damage from flooding, fire damage, vandalism and falling objects. The highest amount a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision – This pays for damage to your NSX resulting from colliding with another car or object. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against claims such as hitting a mailbox, crashing into a building, damaging your car on a curb and sideswiping another vehicle. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. Drivers also have the option to bump up the deductible on your NSX in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Medical payments coverage and PIP – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for bills such as EMT expenses, dental work, funeral costs and chiropractic care. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants as well as any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not universally available but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Cheap insurance rates are out there
Affordable Acura NSX insurance in Portland can be found both online in addition to many Portland insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and many times these regional carriers prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
When buying insurance coverage, it’s a bad idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are many occasions where an insured dropped physical damage coverage and found out when filing a claim that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal should be to find the BEST coverage at the lowest possible cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Insureds switch companies for any number of reasons including policy non-renewal, poor customer service, unfair underwriting practices and high prices. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch choosing a new company can be less work than you think.
To read more, take a look at these articles:
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a 20 Year Old Male in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota RAV4 in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Portland Auto Insurance Rates for Hybrid Vehicles? (FAQ)
- State Car Insurance Guides (GEICO)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)