If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to find cheaper prices for auto insurance rates is to compare quotes once a year from different companies who sell insurance in Portland.
- Try to learn about the different coverages in a policy and the things you can control to prevent high rates. Many risk factors that increase rates like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be eliminated by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the new quotes to your existing coverage and see if you can save money. If you can save some money and change companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
The most important part of shopping around is that you’ll want to compare the same deductibles and limits on each price quote and and to look at as many auto insurance providers as possible. This guarantees a fair rate comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
A recent insurance study discovered that over 70% of Oregon drivers have remained with the same insurance company for more than four years, and nearly half have never compared quotes from other companies. Many consumers in America can cut their rates by approximately 46.5% a year, but they underestimate how much they could save if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Companies offering Saturn L300 insurance in Portland
The companies shown below provide free quotes in Portland, OR. If multiple companies are listed, it’s highly recommended you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Saturn L300 Insurance Rates Can Be Reduced
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that come into play when calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you know what influences your rates, this enables informed choices that may reward you with lower rates. Lots of factors are part of the calculation when quoting car insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving record, although some other factors are less apparent such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
The itemized list below are some of the most rate-impacting factors used by companies to determine your prices.
- Alarm systems save money – Driving a car with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft features such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all hinder your car from being stolen.
- How many miles do you drive? – The more you drive annually the more you will pay for insurance. Most insurance companies charge rates based upon how you use the vehicle. Vehicles used primarily for pleasure use get more affordable rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Ask your agent if your policy is showing the proper vehicle usage, because improper ratings can cost you money. An improperly rated L300 may be costing you.
- Prices impacted by your city – Choosing to live in a small town may provide you with better prices if you are looking for the lowest rates. Less people means a lower chance of having an accident. People in densely populated areas have traffic congestion and more time behind the wheel. The longer drive time means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Safety ratings are a factor – Cars with five star safety ratings can get you lower premiums. Safer cars reduce injuries and fewer serious injuries translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and more competitive rates for policyholders. If the Saturn L300 is rated at a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you may qualify for a discount.
- Higher prices for coverage lapses – Not having insurance can get you a ticket and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage lapse. And not only will your rates increase, not being able to provide proof of insurance could earn you fines and jail time. You could then be forced to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Oregon motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Do you qualify for discounts?
Buying auto insurance is not cheap, but you may qualify for discounts to help bring down the price. Some discounts apply automatically when you purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be inquired about before they will apply. If you check and find you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you may be paying too high a price.
- Discount for New Cars – Adding a new car to your policy can cost up to 25% less compared to insuring an older model.
- Paperless Signup – A few larger online companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy digitally online.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than spreading payments over time you can actually save on your bill.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll in driver’s education if it’s offered in school.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Student in College – Kids living away from Portland attending college and do not have a car can receive lower rates.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Insuring multiple cars with the same company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
It’s important to understand that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it doesn’t quite work that way. Any amount of discount will lower your auto insurance premiums.
If you would like to see a list of providers that offer multiple discounts in Portland, click here to view.
When to contact an insurance agency
Many people just prefer to get advice from a local agent and that can be a great decision Most agents can make sure you are properly covered and will help you if you have claims. An additional benefit of getting free rate quotes online is you can get the best rates and still have a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, the coverage information gets sent to companies in Portland who will gladly provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. If you wish to quote rates from one company in particular, you can always visit that company’s website and give them your coverage information.
Finding the right company shouldn’t rely on just a cheap quote. Some important questions to ask are:
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Is the agent properly licensed in Oregon?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
Two different types of car insurance agents
If you need to find a reputable agency, you need to know there are two different types of agencies that you can select. Agents in Portland are either independent or exclusive. Either one can sell and service insurance coverage, but it’s good to learn how they are different since it can impact the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents write business for a single company such as Farmers Insurance and State Farm. They generally cannot give you multiple price quotes so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive insurance agents are usually quite knowledgeable on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below is a short list of exclusive agents in Portland who can help you get price quote information.
Independent insurance agents often have many company appointments so they can insure your vehicles with lots of companies and get you the best rates possible. If prices rise, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you can keep the same agent.
When comparing rate quotes, you should always compare quotes from independent agents for maximum quote selection.
Below are Portland independent agents that are able to give comparison quotes.
Metro One Insurance Agency
3423 S Telegraph Rd, Dearborn, MI 48124 – Dearborn, OR 48124 – (313) 456-9455 – View Map
The lowest rates come from being thorough
You just learned a lot of techniques to lower your Saturn L300 insurance car insurance rates in Portland. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get premium rates for, the better likelihood of getting low cost Portland auto insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best price on insurance is with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. These smaller insurers may have significantly lower premium rates on certain market segments than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest cost, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Affordable Saturn L300 insurance in Portland is possible from both online companies and with local Portland insurance agents, so get free Portland auto insurance quotes from both of them in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who may not provide online quoting and usually these smaller providers only sell through independent agents.
Additional learning opportunities
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Retired Military in Portland? (FAQ)
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to shop for a safer car (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)