Sadly, the vast majority of consumers have been with the same company for more than four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. Drivers in Portland could save themselves up to 60% a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they feel it’s too difficult to find cheap auto insurance rates.
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get budget Mitsubishi Outlander insurance is to compare prices annually from different companies that sell auto insurance in Portland.
- First, spend a few minutes and learn about what is in your policy and the factors you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that result in higher prices like careless driving and a not-so-good credit score can be improved by paying attention to minor details. Later in this article we will cover more information to help reduce prices and get additional discounts.
- Second, compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple insurance companies.
- Third, compare the quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if cheaper Outlander coverage is available. If you find better rates and switch companies, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
The most important part of shopping around is to try to use the same liability limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to get rates from all possible companies. This guarantees a fair price comparison and maximum price selection.
If you have a policy now or just want cheaper rates, you can learn to reduce the price you pay without reducing protection. Our objective is to familiarize you with how to get online quotes and some money-saving tips. Comparison shoppers only have to learn how to buy car insurance online.
Affordable Mitsubishi insurance price quotes in Portland
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer price quotes in Portland, OR. To find the cheapest car insurance in Oregon, it’s highly recommended you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Data for Mitsubishi Outlander insurance
The rate table below outlines different insurance rates for Mitsubishi Outlander models. Learning how prices are established can be of help when making decisions on which coverage to buy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Outlander ES 2WD||$194||$328||$278||$16||$82||$898||$75|
|Outlander SE 4WD||$194||$328||$278||$16||$82||$898||$75|
|Outlander SE 4WD||$194||$328||$278||$16||$82||$898||$75|
|Outlander SE 2WD||$194||$328||$278||$16||$82||$898||$75|
|Outlander SE 2WD||$194||$328||$278||$16||$82||$898||$75|
|Outlander ES 4WD||$194||$328||$278||$16||$82||$898||$75|
|Outlander XLS 2WD||$220||$388||$278||$16||$82||$984||$82|
|Outlander XLS 4WD||$220||$388||$278||$16||$82||$984||$82|
|Outlander GT-S AWC 4WD||$220||$388||$278||$16||$82||$984||$82|
|Outlander GT-S AWC 4WD||$220||$388||$278||$16||$82||$984||$82|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Rate quotes do not factor in specific zip code location which can impact premium rates considerably.
The diagram below highlights how deductible choice and can increase or decrease Mitsubishi Outlander insurance premiums for different age groups. The price estimates are based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Car insurance premiums based on gender
The illustration below compares Mitsubishi Outlander yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers. The price estimates are based on no violations or accidents, full coverage, $250 deductibles, single marital status, and no other discounts are factored in.
Full coverage or liability only
The example below visualizes the comparison of Mitsubishi Outlander annual premium costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The premiums are based on no violations or accidents, $500 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no exact formula to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of having full coverage is 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let’s pretend your Mitsubishi Outlander settlement value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would receive is $2,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are paying over $200 a year for physical damage coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some cases where removing full coverage is not a good idea. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you are required to maintain full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Six discounts for cheaper car insurance quotes
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there could be significant discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Some trigger automatically when you purchase, but some discounts are required to be specifically requested before being credited.
- No Accidents – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims get the best car insurance rates as opposed to frequent claim filers.
- Full Payment Discount – By making one initial payment rather than spreading payments over time you can avoid the installment charge.
- Military Rewards – Having an actively deployed family member could trigger a small discount.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Safe drivers may save up to 50% more compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Distant College Student Discount – College-age children who live away from home at college and don’t have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Policy Bundle Discount – When you have multiple policies with one company you will save at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
Don’t be surprised that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck.
The chart below shows the difference between Mitsubishi Outlander auto insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy rates. The data assumes a male driver, no violations or claims, Oregon state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, safe-driver, marriage, multi-policy, claim-free, and homeowner discounts applied.
A list of companies and some of their more popular discounts can be read below.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for military active duty, daytime running lights, driver training, multi-policy, anti-lock brakes, and membership and employees.
- USAA offers discounts including military installation, driver training, safe driver, vehicle storage, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including homeowner, multi-policy, continuous coverage, good student, and online quote discount.
- American Family may offer discounts for defensive driver, bundled insurance, good student, Steer into Savings, multi-vehicle, and accident-free.
- Esurance has savings for paid-in-full, safety device, Pac-12 alumni, anti-theft, and renters.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for multi-car, early shopping, electronic funds transfer, homeowner, and good student.
- State Farm discounts include student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, anti-theft, good driver, and safe vehicle.
Before purchasing a policy, check with every prospective company which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policyholders everywhere. For a list of insurance companies with the best discounts in Portland, click here to view.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Every situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight whether or not you may require specific advice.
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Should I rate my vehicle as business use?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- When should I drop full coverage on my Mitsubishi Outlander?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
- Which is better, split liability limits or combined limits?
- Should I bundle my homeowners policy with my auto?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
What if I want to buy from local Portland car insurance agents?
Some consumers would rather talk to a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Good insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help submit paperwork. A nice benefit of comparing car insurance online is that you can find lower rates and also buy local. And buying from local insurance agencies is important particularly in Portland.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your coverage information is immediately sent to agents in your area that can give you free Portland car insurance quotes for your car insurance coverage. There is no reason to contact an agency because prices are sent to you instantly. In the event you want to compare prices from a particular provider, you just need to jump over to their website and fill out their quote form.
When narrowing the list to find a local Portland insurance agency, you should know the different types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents in Portland are categorized either independent agents or exclusive agents. Both insure your vehicles, but it is important to understand why they differ because it may have an impact on your agent selection.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents do not write with just one company so as a result can place your coverage through many different car insurance companies and find the cheapest car insurance rates. If your agent finds better pricing, the agent simply finds a different carrier and the insured can keep the same agent.
When comparing rate quotes, you should always contact a couple of independent agencies for maximum quote selection. Many write coverage with smaller mutual companies that may provide cheaper car insurance rates.
The following is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in Portland that can possibly get you price quotes.
- Chet Hill Insurance
10402 NE Sandy Blvd – Portland, OR 97220 – (503) 256-2020 – View Map
- Darrell Grenz Insurance Agency
5651 N Lombard St – Portland, OR 97203 – (503) 206-6736 – View Map
- Chamberlain Insurance
7831 SE Stark St #102 – Portland, OR 97215 – (503) 256-1448 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive write business for a single company and examples are State Farm or Allstate. These agents are not able to provide prices from multiple companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are highly trained on sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. A lot of people choose to use an exclusive agent mainly due to the prominence of the brand and solid financial strength.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Portland that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Michael Holton – State Farm Insurance Agent
7113 SW Macadam Ave – Portland, OR 97219 – (503) 517-9090 – View Map
- John Lokting – State Farm Insurance Agent
307 SE 102nd Ave – Portland, OR 97216 – (503) 252-5581 – View Map
- H.Q. La – State Farm Insurance Agent
1827 NE 44th Ave #110 – Portland, OR 97213 – (503) 236-3776 – View Map
Choosing a insurance agent should depend on more than just a cheap price quote. Any good agent in Portland should know the answers to these questions.
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
Once you have received positive feedback as well as a price you’re happy with, you may have found an insurance agent that can be trusted to service your policy.
Car insurance coverages for a Mitsubishi Outlander
Knowing the specifics of your policy can help you determine the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Auto collision coverage
This covers damage to your Outlander resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for claims like hitting a parking meter, backing into a parked car and sideswiping another vehicle. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your Outlander to bring the cost down.
Medical expense coverage
Med pay and PIP coverage pay for expenses like dental work, funeral costs, surgery and X-ray expenses. They are used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and will also cover getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal injury protection coverage is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
This will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like damage from getting keyed, falling objects, hail damage and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The maximum amount your auto insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage
This coverage gives you protection when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Due to the fact that many Oregon drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (which is 25/50/20), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Frequently your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
This protects you from damage or injury you incur to other people or property by causing an accident. This insurance protects YOU from claims by other people. Liability doesn’t cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have limits of 25/50/20 which stand for a limit of $25,000 per injured person, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a limit of $20,000 paid for damaged property. Alternatively, you may have a combined single limit or CSL that pays claims from the same limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability can pay for claims such as structural damage, repair costs for stationary objects, legal defense fees and medical expenses. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is up to you, but you should buy as high a limit as you can afford. Oregon state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/20 but drivers should carry more liability than the minimum.
The next chart demonstrates why buying the state minimum limits may not be adequate coverage.
Ratings for Portland auto insurance companies
Choosing the highest-rated auto insurance company is hard considering how many companies provide coverage in Portland. The ranking data shown below could help you select which auto insurance companies to look at comparing rate quotes with.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- Titan Insurance – 95%
- USAA – 94%
- AAA Insurance – 91%
- Nationwide – 90%
- State Farm – 90%
- The Hartford – 89%
- GEICO – 89%
- 21st Century – 88%
- Liberty Mutual – 88%
- Allstate – 88%
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- American Family
- The Hartford
- Titan Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- Mercury Insurance
Cheap car insurance premiums are out there
In this article, we covered some good ideas how you can compare Mitsubishi Outlander insurance premium rates in Portland. It’s most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the better chance you’ll have of finding cheaper Portland car insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest premium rates come from some of the lesser-known companies.
Drivers leave their current company for a number of reasons such as lack of trust in their agent, delays in responding to claim requests, poor customer service and not issuing a premium refund. Whatever your reason, finding a new car insurance company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
Low-cost Mitsubishi Outlander insurance in Portland is available both online and with local Portland insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies do not offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agents.
For more information, feel free to browse these articles:
- Hybrid vehicles cost insurers more (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Seniors in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for First-time Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for Good Students? (FAQ)
- Your Car has been Stolen: Now What? (Allstate)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)