If you want to save the most money, the best way to find cheaper car insurance rates is to compare prices at least once a year from insurers in Portland.
Step 1: Try to learn a little about how auto insurance works and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that are responsible for high rates such as getting speeding tickets and an unfavorable credit rating can be remedied by paying attention to minor details.
Step 2: Compare prices from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide price quotes from many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the new quotes to your existing rates and see if you can save money. If you find a lower rate, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Step 4: Provide adequate notice to your current company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit the completed application along with a down payment to the new company. As soon as coverage is bound, put the new proof of insurance paperwork somewhere easily accessible.
The most important part of shopping around is to use the same coverage limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to get price quotes from as many different companies as possible. This provides a level playing field and a complete rate analysis.
It’s shocking but the majority of drivers have remained with the same insurance company for at least the last four years, and nearly half have never compared rates to find lower-cost insurance. Many consumers in Oregon could save about $967 each year by just shopping around, but they don’t want to take the time to compare other rate quotes.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide comparison quotes in Portland, OR. To buy the cheapest car insurance in OR, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
Portland insurance discounts for a Lincoln Aviator
Auto insurance companies do not advertise every discount they offer in an easy-to-find place, so the below list has a few of the more well known and also the lesser-known car insurance savings.
- Active Military Service – Being on active duty in the military could mean lower car insurance rates.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you can bundle your auto and home insurance and insure them both with the same insurance company you may earn over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Good Grades Discount – Excelling in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. The good student discount can last up to age 25.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a defensive driver course could cut 5% off your bill and make you a better driver.
- Sign Early and Save – Select companies give a discount for signing up before your current Aviator insurance policy expires. The savings is around 10%.
- One Accident Forgiven – This one is not really a discount per se, but a few companies such as Progressive, Allstate, and Liberty Mutual will turn a blind eye to one accident without raising rates so long as you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
Policy discounts save money, but some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Companies and their offered discounts are included below.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including TimeAway discount, Steer into Savings, defensive driver, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- State Farm offers discounts including good student, student away at school, Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, and passive restraint.
- 21st Century has discounts for air bags, driver training, early bird, automatic seat belts, 55 and older, and anti-lock brakes.
- Travelers has savings for continuous insurance, save driver, multi-policy, driver training, early quote, and IntelliDrive.
- GEICO includes discounts for anti-theft, driver training, defensive driver, air bags, daytime running lights, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
Check with each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. Some discounts listed above may not be available in every state. If you would like to view providers that offer many of these discounts in Portland, click here to view.
What Impacts Lincoln Aviator Insurance Prices?
The best way to find cheaper insurance is to take a look at the different types of things that help determine the level of your policy premiums. When consumers understand what determines base rates, this allows you to make good choices that can help you get big savings.
The factors shown below are some of the things used by insurance companies to determine your prices.
Better drivers pay less – Drivers with clean records tend to pay less for car insurance as compared to careless drivers. Even a single ticket can increase the cost of insurance by twenty percent. Drivers who have received dangerous tickets such as DUI or reckless driving may face state-mandated requirements to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state’s licensing department in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
Combining policies can get discounts – Most larger insurance companies apply lower prices to policyholders who carry more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to as much as ten percent or more If you currently are using one company, it’s always a smart idea to get quotes from other companies to help guarantee you have the best rates. It’s possible to still find better rates even if you have your coverage with different companies
A good credit score can save money – An insured’s credit history can be a huge factor in determining your rates. If your credit history could use some work, you could potentially save money when insuring your Lincoln Aviator by repairing your credit. Drivers with very high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than drivers who have lower ratings.
Lower rates for married couples – Having a wife or husband may save some money on your policy. Marriage translates into being more responsible and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Where you live plays a part – Choosing to live in a small town has definite advantages if you are looking for the lowest rates. Urban drivers have more traffic problems and more time behind the wheel. Less people means less chance of accidents.
Know your vehicle’s NHTSA crash test rating – Cars with high safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. These vehicles reduce occupant injuries and fewer serious injuries means your insurance company pays less and more competitive rates for policyholders.
Pay more out-of-pocket – Coverage for physical damage, aka comp and collision, is used to repair damage to your vehicle. Some coverage claims are a broken windshield, hail damage, and burglary. Physical damage deductibles are how much you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. The more damage repair cost you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
Can’t I compare rate quotes from local Portland insurance agents?
Many drivers just prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that can be a great decision Licensed agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help in the event of a claim. A good thing about comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find cheap car insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to. And buying from small agencies is especially important in Portland.
Upon completion of this quick form, your information is submitted to agents in your area who can give free rate quotes for your car insurance coverage. You won’t even need to find an agent since price quotes are sent to your email. If you want to get a price quote from a particular provider, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
Different types of auto insurance agents in Portland
If you want an insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the types of insurance agents to choose from. Insurance agencies in Portland can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either one can write policy coverage, but it’s worth mentioning the subtle differences since it can affect your agent selection.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that elect to be independent do not write with just one company and that allows them to write policies through many different car insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. If prices rise, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing rates, it’s recommended you get rate quotes from at least one independent agent so that you can do a thorough price comparison. They also have the ability to place coverage with less well-known companies which may have better rates.
Shown below is a partial list of independent insurance agencies in Portland that can possibly get you free car insurance rate quotes.
- Propel Insurance
888 SW 5th Ave #1170 – Portland, OR 97204 – (503) 467-7540 – View Map
- Pibal Insurance Brokers of Oregon
1314 NW Irving St – Portland, OR 97209 – (503) 287-8808 – View Map
- Focus 1 Insurance
1500 NW 18th Ave #107 – Portland, OR 97209 – (503) 206-6588 – View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
These agents can only provide one company’s prices such as Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive insurance agents are well schooled on their company’s products which helps them compete with independent agents. Consumers often purchase coverage from exclusives primarily because of the prominence of the brand rather than low rates.
The following are Portland exclusive agents who can help you get rate quotes.
- Dan Lucich – State Farm Insurance Agent
1516 NE 15th Ave – Portland, OR 97232 – (503) 287-3757 – View Map
- Steve Ching – State Farm Insurance Agent
1018 NW 13th Ave – Portland, OR 97209 – (503) 222-7771 – View Map
- John Freeman – State Farm Insurance Agent
8519 SE Woodstock Blvd – Portland, OR 97266 – (503) 228-1311 – View Map
Picking the best insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a low price. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- How long has their agency been open in Portland?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
A conclusion for your insurance search
Insureds who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including denial of a claim, delays in responding to claim requests, unfair underwriting practices or questionable increases in premium. No matter why you want to switch, finding a great new company is not as difficult as it may seem.
Cheaper Lincoln Aviator insurance in Portland can be found both online and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies don’t offer rates over the internet and usually these smaller providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
When shopping online for insurance, do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
To read more, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Homeowners in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Camry in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford F-150 in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Inexperienced Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Dangers of fake or stolen airbags (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)