Unbelievably, the vast majority of consumers have been with the same company for at least four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never taken the time to shop around. Many drivers in Oregon could pocket almost 60% a year by just comparing quotes, but they think it’s difficult to find cheap rates by getting comparison quotes.
The most effective way to find cheaper auto insurance rates in Portland is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from providers who can sell car insurance in Oregon.
- First, learn about how companies price auto insurance and the measures you can control to keep rates in check. Many things that result in higher rates like at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a lousy credit rating can be amended by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Second, quote rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Third, compare the new rates to your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a better price and decide to switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
The most important part of this process is to try to compare the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get prices from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this helps ensure a level playing field and many rates to choose from.
If you already have coverage or just want cheaper coverage, you can follow these tips to save money and still have adequate protection. Our goal is to introduce you to the best way to quote coverages and some tips to save money. Comparison shoppers just need to learn the most effective way to compare different rates instantly.
All the larger auto insurance companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm give prices for coverage directly from their websites. Doing online price comparisons for Kia Rio insurance in Portland is pretty easy because it’s just a matter of typing in your coverage information as requested by the quote form. After the form is submitted, their system automatically retrieves your driving record and credit report and gives you a price quote based on these and other factors.
The ability to get online quotes for Kia Rio insurance in Portland makes it simple to compare prices and it is important to do this if you are searching for affordable prices.
In order to get comparison pricing now, take a look at the companies shown below. If you have coverage now, it’s recommended you duplicate the limits and deductibles just like they are on your policy. This makes sure you will have a price comparison using the exact same coverages.
The auto insurance companies shown below offer price comparisons in Oregon. In order to find the cheapest auto insurance in Portland, OR, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Three main reasons to buy insurance
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Kia Rio in Portland, insuring your vehicle may be required for several reasons.
First, most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your car has a loan, most lenders will require you to buy insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If the policy lapses, the bank may buy a policy for your Kia at a much higher premium rate and force you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
Third, insurance preserves both your car and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your Kia gets damaged, your policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your Rio greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. On average, a vehicle owner in Portland is wasting up to $825 a year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
Detailed insurance information
The rate information below covers different policy rates for Kia Rio models. Having a good understanding how auto insurance policy rates are figured can be valuable when making informed coverage decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy. Prices do not factor in specific location which can alter insurance rates noticeably.
The chart below highlights how deductible choice and can influence Kia Rio insurance prices for each age group. The price estimates are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Rate comparison of male drivers versus female drivers
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Kia Rio insurance prices for male and female drivers. The premiums assume no accidents, no driving violations, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are factored in.
Full coverage versus liability-only
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Kia Rio premium costs with and without full coverage. The premiums assume a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are applied.
Deciding between full coverage and liability only
There isn’t a written rule to stop buying full coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of coverage is about 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Kia Rio replacement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $4,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are paying in excess of $400 annually for full coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some cases where removing full coverage is not financially feasible. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Determine discounts on Portland insurance
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there could be significant discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. A few discounts will be applied when you quote, but some discounts are required to be inquired about before you get the savings. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you are just wasting money.
- Theft Deterrent Discount – Cars and trucks equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen so companies will give you a small discount.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Factory options such as air bags or automatic seat belts could see savings up to 30%.
- Drive Less and Save – Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with lower insurance rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Save with a New Car – Buying insurance on a new vehicle is cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Early Signing – Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching policies prior to your current Rio insurance policy expiration. You can save around 10% with this discount.
You should keep in mind that some of the credits will not apply to the whole policy. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Just because you may think all the discounts add up to a free policy, you’re out of luck. Any qualifying discounts will reduce the amount you pay for coverage.
The chart below compares Kia Rio insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. Data assumes a female driver, no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, Oregon state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, marriage, and multi-car discounts applied.
Larger insurance companies and their possible discounts are:
- State Farm includes discounts for accident-free, defensive driving training, multiple policy, Steer Clear safe driver discount, anti-theft, and good driver.
- Farmers Insurance offers premium reductions for pay in full, early shopping, distant student, good student, homeowner, and teen driver.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including homeowner, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, continuous coverage, and online signing.
- GEICO discounts include daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes, federal employee, military active duty, five-year accident-free, and membership and employees.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may include discounts for paid in full, group or association, anti-lock brakes, paperless, anti-theft, and company car.
- The Hartford has savings for good student, air bag, anti-theft, defensive driver, and driver training.
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include safe driver, youthful driver, driver training, multi-vehicle, and renewal discount.
- USAA offers discounts including loyalty savings, defensive driver, new vehicle, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
If you want low cost Portland car insurance quotes, ask each insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts listed above might not apply in every state.
Should I contact an insurance agent?
A lot of people just want to sit down with an agent and that can be a great decision Insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and will help you if you have claims. One of the benefits of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates but still work with a licensed agent.
By using this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is transmitted to local insurance agents in Portland who will give competitive quotes for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. If you want to get a price quote for a specific company, you would need to jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding a good provider shouldn’t rely on just the bottom line cost. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
Do you need an independent or exclusive auto insurance agent?
If you prefer to buy car insurance from a reputable insurance agent or broker, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Car insurance agencies can either be independent agents or exclusive agents. Both types of agents can write car insurance policies, but it is important to understand the subtle differences since it may influence the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive agents have only one company to place business with such as State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. They generally cannot compare rates from other companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agencies are highly trained on sales techniques which helps them sell on service rather than price. Consumers often choose to use a exclusive agent mainly due to the brand name and strong financial ratings.
Listed below are Portland exclusive insurance agents that can give you rate quotes.
- Reggie Guyton – State Farm Insurance Agent
8180 N Lombard St – Portland, OR 97203 – (503) 289-3601 – View Map
- Doug Menely – State Farm Insurance Agent
8606 SE 17th Ave – Portland, OR 97202 – (503) 238-1903 – View Map
- Dan Lucich – State Farm Insurance Agent
1516 NE 15th Ave – Portland, OR 97232 – (503) 287-3757 – View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Independent agencies often have affiliation with several companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies with a variety of different insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can just switch to a different company and that require little work on your part. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, it’s a good idea to get quotes from independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison. Most independent agents also contract with lesser-known insurance companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Below are independent agencies in Portland who can help you get rate quotes.
- Chamberlain Insurance
7831 SE Stark St #102 – Portland, OR 97215 – (503) 256-1448 – View Map
- Fox Insurance Agency
1819 SW 5th Ave – Portland, OR 97201 – (503) 277-2300 – View Map
- Vern Fonk
9955 SE Washington St #103 – Portland, OR 97216 – (971) 213-1015 – View Map
How much car insurance do I need?
When quoting and comparing coverage, there is no cookie cutter policy. You are unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if your situation could use an agent’s help.
- How much coverage applies to personal belongings?
- Which is better, split liability limits or combined limits?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Oregon minimum liability coverage?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Oregon?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, complete this form. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
Portland auto insurance companies
Choosing a highly-rated car insurance company can be challenging considering how many companies there are to choose from in Oregon. The company ratings displayed below could help you decide which auto insurers you want to consider purchasing coverage from.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- Titan Insurance – 95%
- USAA – 94%
- AAA Insurance – 91%
- Nationwide – 90%
- State Farm – 90%
- The Hartford – 89%
- GEICO – 89%
- 21st Century – 88%
- Liberty Mutual – 88%
- Allstate – 88%
In the end, you can save money
Cheaper Kia Rio insurance in Portland is attainable both online and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best rate selection. Some companies may not provide online rate quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.
Drivers leave their current company for many reasons like lack of trust in their agent, high rates after DUI convictions, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and even not issuing a premium refund. No matter why you want to switch, switching insurance companies can be less work than you think.
As you shop your coverage around, make sure you don’t sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are too many instances where someone dropped collision coverage to discover at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for 17 Year Olds in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Car Insurance for 4×4 Vehicles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Handicapped Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Camry in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a GMC Sierra in Portland? (FAQ)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Keeping Children Safe in Crashes Video (iihs.org)