The recommended way to get cheaper car insurance rates in Portland is to start comparing prices regularly from insurance carriers in Oregon. Rates can be compared by following these steps.
- First, try to learn about how auto insurance works and the measures you can take to drop your rates. Many risk factors that result in higher rates like traffic violations, accidents, and a poor credit score can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Second, quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes for many different companies.
- Third, compare the new quotes to your current policy to determine if you can save on H1 insurance. If you find a better price and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Fourth, tell your current company to cancel your current policy. Submit the signed application along with the required initial payment for the new policy. When you receive it, place the new certificate of insurance along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
An essential thing to point out is that you use similar limits and deductibles on each quote and and to get rates from every company you can. This ensures a level playing field and the best price selection.
Unbelievable but true according to a study 70% of consumers have bought auto insurance from the same company for at least the last four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never quoted auto insurance rates at all. Oregon drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don’t know how much money they would save if they bought a different policy.
Car insurance providers offering competitive rate quotes in Oregon
The companies in the list below offer price comparisons in Oregon. If you wish to find the best auto insurance in Portland, OR, we suggest you get rate quotes from several of them to get the best price comparison.
Cheap Portland insurance rates with discounts
Insurance is not inexpensive, but you may be missing some discounts that you may not know about. Some discounts will apply at the time of purchase, but some need to be inquired about before you will receive the discount.
- Paperwork-free – Many larger companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks shop Portland auto insurance digitally online.
- Theft Deterrent System – Cars and trucks that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Military Rewards – Having a deployed family member could be rewarded with lower insurance rates.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Multiple Cars – Insuring multiple cars with one company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because it seems like you can get free auto insurance, you aren’t that lucky. But all discounts will positively reduce your premiums.
A few popular companies and a selection of discounts are included below.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-policy, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, online signing, homeowner, and good student.
- The Hartford discounts include anti-theft, vehicle fuel type, good student, air bag, bundle, and defensive driver.
- Mercury Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including low natural disaster claims, good student, accident-free, anti-theft, and age of vehicle.
- GEICO has discounts for driver training, anti-theft, membership and employees, good student, defensive driver, five-year accident-free, and seat belt use.
- AAA may include discounts for pay-in-full, multi-car, education and occupation, good driver, and multi-policy.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for multiple policy, accident-free, Drive Safe & Save, defensive driving training, driver’s education, and anti-theft.
Check with every prospective company what discounts are available to you. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be offered in Portland. If you would like to see a list of insurance companies with the best Hummer H1 insurance discounts in Oregon, click this link.
Exclusive and independent insurance agents
Many people still prefer to buy from a local agent and we recommend doing that Most agents are trained risk managers and help file insurance claims. One of the benefits of comparing car insurance online is that you can obtain cheap car insurance rates and still choose a local agent. Putting coverage with local insurance agencies is important especially in Portland.
After completing this short form, your information is sent to local insurance agents who will give you quotes for your coverage. You never need to search for any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. In the event you want to compare prices from one company in particular, you can always go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
When looking for a reliable agent, there are a couple of types of agencies and how they can write your policy. Insurance agencies in Portland can be described as either exclusive or independent. Either can handle car insurance, but it’s worth mentioning the difference in how they write coverage since it can impact your agent selection.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent are not employed by any specific company so they can insure your vehicles through lots of different companies and get you the best rates possible. If your premiums go up, your policy is moved internally and you can keep the same agent.
If you are comparing car insurance prices, you definitely need to get insurance quotes from independent agents for maximum quote selection.
Below is a partial list of independent agents in Portland who may provide price quote information.
Exclusive insurance agents can only provide one company’s prices like Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents cannot compare other company’s rates so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents are usually quite knowledgeable on sales techniques which helps them sell on service rather than price.
The following are Portland exclusive insurance agents that are able to give price quote information.
Choosing an insurance agency requires you to look at more than just the price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- How long have they been in business?
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
Car insurance company ratings
Choosing the right auto insurance company is hard considering how many companies are available to choose from in Portland. The ranking data in the next section may help you decide which auto insurance companies to look at when shopping around.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- American Family
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- Travelers – A++
- GEICO – A++
- State Farm – A++
- The Hartford – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Mercury Insurance – A+
- Titan Insurance – A+
Car insurance 101
Knowing the specifics of a auto insurance policy helps when choosing the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Below you’ll find the normal coverages found on most auto insurance policies.
Medical expense coverage – Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for expenses for surgery, pain medications, hospital visits, rehabilitation expenses and X-ray expenses. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover you and your occupants in addition to getting struck while a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state and may carry a deductible
Comprehensive protection – Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as theft, hitting a deer, falling objects, fire damage and rock chips in glass. The maximum payout your auto insurance company will pay is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage – This protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Hummer H1.
Since many Oregon drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (25/50/20), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Normally these coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Collision coverage – Collision coverage pays for damage to your H1 resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage pays for claims like rolling your car, hitting a mailbox and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your H1 in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Liability insurance – This can cover injuries or damage you cause to other’s property or people. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You commonly see values of 25/50/20 which means $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and property damage coverage for $20,000. Some companies may use a combined limit that pays claims from the same limit rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage pays for things such as attorney fees, court costs, medical services and funeral expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but consider buying as much as you can afford. Oregon requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/20 but it’s recommended drivers buy more coverage.
The chart below shows why minimum state limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Don’t give up on cheap rates
Affordable Hummer H1 insurance in Portland can be bought from both online companies and from local insurance agents, so get free Portland auto insurance quotes from both of them so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance companies do not offer price quotes online and these smaller companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
We just showed you some good ideas how to lower your Hummer H1 insurance prices in Portland. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding inexpensive Portland auto insurance quotes. You may even find the lowest priced car insurance comes from a small mutual company. Regional companies may have significantly lower rates on certain market segments compared to the large companies like Progressive and GEICO.
As you restructure your insurance plan, don’t be tempted to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are a lot of situations where someone dropped full coverage only to regret at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your goal is to get the best coverage possible at the best cost.
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for a Company Car in Portland? (FAQ)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)