It’s safe to conclude that insurance companies don’t want you to look for a cheaper policy. Insureds who shop around for cheaper price quotes are likely to switch to a new company because they have good chances of finding a policy with better rates. A recent survey found that people who compared rates annually saved approximately $850 each year compared to policyholders who never shopped around.
If finding budget-friendly car insurance is your target objective, then learning a little about how to shop and compare coverages can make it easier for you to save money.
The best way to find more affordable Acura ILX insurance in Portland is to start comparing prices yearly from insurance carriers who provide auto insurance in Oregon.
- First, spend some time learning about the different coverages in a policy and the changes you can make to keep rates in check. Many things that increase rates like inattentive driving and a less-than-favorable credit score can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely. This article provides additional tips to help keep prices low and get discounts that may be overlooked.
- Second, request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can give you price quotes from multiple sources.
- Third, compare the price quotes to your current policy to see if cheaper ILX coverage is available. If you find better rates and decide to switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, tell your current company of your intent to cancel the current policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application to your new company or agent. Make sure you place your new certificate of insurance in your vehicle.
A valuable tip to remember is to use identical coverages on each quote and and to get price quotes from as many different companies as possible. This helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Components of Your Acura ILX Insurance Costs
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that play a part in calculating auto insurance rates. If you have some idea of what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make good choices that will entitle you to big savings. Many different elements are taken into consideration when premium rates are determined. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving record, but others are less apparent like your continuous coverage or your commute time.
Uninterrupted coverage lowers premiums – Having a lapse in insurance coverage will be a fast way to bump up your auto insurance costs. And not only will insurance be more expensive, getting caught without coverage may earn you a license revocation or jail time.
Insurance rates and vehicle performance – The make and model of the vehicle you need insurance for makes a significant difference in determining your rates. The best insurance prices are usually found on lower cost passenger cars, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
Driving citations hurt – Your driving citation history has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Drivers who don’t get tickets get better rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Getting just one citation may increase your cost twenty percent or more. Drivers who have received careless citations such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may find they need to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state’s licensing department in order to legally drive a vehicle.
Improve your credit rating and save – A driver’s credit score factor in calculating your premium rate. People with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims as compared to drivers with poor credit scores. If your credit history is lower than you’d like, you could pay less to insure your Acura ILX by taking the time to improve your credit score.
Insurance loss data for Acura ILX vehicles – Insurers factor in insurance loss information when determining insurance costs. Models that statistically have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will be charged more to insure. The table below outlines the insurance loss data used by companies for Acura ILX vehicles.
For each type of coverage, the statistical loss for all vehicles combined as an average is considered to be 100. Percentage values below 100 indicate better than average losses, while values over 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or an increased probability of a larger loss.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
The easiest way to get rate comparisons for Acura ILX insurance in Portland is to know the fact most of the larger companies have advanced systems to provide you with a free rate quote. All consumers are required to do is provide details like how much education you have, level of coverage desired, the type of vehicles you drive, and any included safety features. Those rating factors is then submitted to many different companies and they return quotes with very little delay.
To compare cheap Acura ILX insurance rates now, click here and enter your coverage details.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price comparisons in Portland, OR. In order to find cheap auto insurance in Oregon, we suggest you get prices from several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
Auto insurance is not optional
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Acura ILX in Portland, auto insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to be legal. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your vehicle, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you buy insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Acura at a significantly higher premium and make you pay much more than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance preserves your Acura and your assets. Insurance will pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability coverage also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your ILX outweigh the cost, especially for larger claims. The average driver in America is overpaying over $865 each year so compare quotes from several companies once a year at a minimum to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Get cheaper Acura ILX insurance in Portland with discounts
Auto insurance companies don’t always advertise their entire list of discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so we researched both the well known and also the lesser-known discounts that you may qualify for.
- Sign Online – A few companies will provide an incentive just for signing your application on the web.
- Organization Discounts – Participating in a civic or occupational organization in Portland is a good way to get lower rates on your next auto insurance statement.
- Safe Drivers – Accident-free drivers may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accident claims.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars with ABS and/or traction control are much safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Federal government employees could provide a small rate reduction with certain companies.
- Payment Method – If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than paying monthly you could save 5% or more.
- Onboard Data Collection – People who choose to allow driving data collection to track vehicle usage by installing a telematics device such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system might see lower rates as long as they are good drivers.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Drivers who insure all your vehicles with the same auto insurance company qualifies for this discount.
- Waiver for an Accident – Not a discount per se, but certain companies will turn a blind eye to one accident without the usual rate increase if you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Taking a class that teaches defensive driving techniques may get you a small discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
As a footnote on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like you could get a free auto insurance policy, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
To see auto insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Portland, click this link.
You may need help from an agent
A lot of people still prefer to have an agent’s advice and that is a personal choice. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get better rates and still choose a local agent. Buying insurance from small agencies is important particularly in Portland.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is immediately sent to agents in your area who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to find an agent due to the fact that quote results will go instantly to you. You can find lower rates and a licensed agent to work with. In the event you want to get a price quote from a specific company, you would need to go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Types of car insurance agents in Portland
If you want a reliable insurance agent, you need to know there are two different types of agents and how they can write your policy. Agents can be classified as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type often have many company appointments so they can quote policies through many companies and find the cheapest car insurance rates. If premiums increase, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part.
When shopping rates, it’s recommended you get quotes from several independent agencies to get the most accurate price comparison. Most also have access to small mutual carriers that many times have cheaper rates.
Featured below are Portland independent insurance agents who can help you get competitive price quotes.
- Oregon Insurance Advisor – Mark Strauss
5201 SW Westgate Dr #300 – Portland, OR 97221 – (503) 922-4847 – View Map
- Propel Insurance
888 SW 5th Ave #1170 – Portland, OR 97204 – (503) 467-7540 – View Map
- Peninsula Insurance
12700 NW Cornell Rd – Portland, OR 97229 – (503) 644-5333 – View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agents can only provide pricing for a single company and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and AAA. They usually cannot compare other company’s rates so always compare other rates. They are very knowledgeable in insurance sales which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers frequently use the same exclusive agent mainly due to the brand name and strong financial ratings.
Below are Portland exclusive insurance agencies that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Lidia Mazun – State Farm Insurance Agent
11916 SE Division St – Portland, OR 97266 – (503) 761-1444 – View Map
- Michael G Ferguson – State Farm Insurance Agent
736 NW 12th Ave #100 – Portland, OR 97209 – (503) 227-1393 – View Map
- Mark Nguyen – State Farm Insurance Agent
14146 SE Stark St – Portland, OR 97233 – (503) 253-2110 – View Map
Finding a good insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just a cheap quote. Some important questions to ask are:
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- How long has their agency been open in Portland?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
Upon receiving positive responses to any questions you have and an affordable coverage quote, most likely you have located an insurance agency that is reliable enough to adequately provide car insurance. But remember, you are able to cancel a policy when you choose so never assume that you are permanently stuck with a specific agent for the full term.
What is the best auto insurance company in Portland?
Picking the right auto insurance provider can be difficult considering how many companies sell coverage in Portland. The information displayed below may help you choose which auto insurance companies to look at comparing rate quotes with.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- American Family
- The Hartford
- Titan Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- Mercury Insurance
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- Travelers – A++
- GEICO – A++
- State Farm – A++
- The Hartford – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Mercury Insurance – A+
- Titan Insurance – A+
Will just any policy work for me?
When it comes to your policy, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s needs are different.
These are some specific questions may help highlight whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- Am I covered if I hit a deer?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- Do I need more liability coverage?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form.
A little work can save a LOT of money
You just learned some good ideas how to get a better price on Acura ILX insurance in Portland. The key concept to understand is the more you quote Portland auto insurance, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable Acura ILX insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the best price on car insurance is with the smaller companies.
Lower-priced Acura ILX insurance in Portland can be sourced from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. Some car insurance companies don’t offer online price quotes and these regional carriers work with independent agencies.
Consumers who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including an unsatisfactory settlement offer, delays in paying claims, being labeled a high risk driver and policy cancellation. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new car insurance company is not as hard as you think.
To learn more, feel free to visit these articles:
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for Felons in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Auto Insurance for a Toyota Corolla? (FAQ)
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- Avoiding Deer Collisions (Insurance Information Institute)