It’s safe to conclude that insurance companies don’t want you shop around. People who shop around once a year are likely to move their business because of the high probability of finding coverage at a more affordable price. A recent survey revealed that drivers who faithfully checked for cheaper rates saved $865 a year compared to other drivers who never shopped around for cheaper prices.
If finding budget-friendly rates on Pontiac Montana insurance in Portland is your objective, then having an understanding of how to compare cheaper coverage can help you succeed in finding affordable rates.
The most effective way to find discount Pontiac Montana insurance is to compare prices at least once a year from insurers in Portland. Drivers can shop around by completing these steps.
First, read and learn about auto insurance and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that result in higher rates like accidents, traffic tickets, and an unfavorable credit rating can be amended by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Later in this article we will cover more ideas to find cheap rates and find more discounts that you may not know about.
Second, compare prices from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes for many different companies.
Third, compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if cheaper Montana coverage is available. If you can save money, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
Fourth, provide notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application to your new carrier. Once the paperwork is finalized, keep your new proof of insurance certificate in your glove compartment.
An important note is to make sure you’re comparing identical limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to analyze as many auto insurance providers as possible. This provides a fair price comparison and the best price selection.
If you are paying for car insurance now, you should be able to cut your premiums using this information. Comparison shopping for affordable insurance in Portland is easy to do. Nevertheless, Oregon car owners can benefit from knowing how insurance companies calculate your policy premium because rates fluctuate considerably.
The quickest method to get policy rate comparisons for Pontiac Montana insurance in Portland is to take advantage of the fact car insurance companies will pay a fee to give free rates quotes. The only thing you need to do is provide the companies a bit of rating information such as how old drivers are, what your job is, whether your vehicle is owned or leased, and if it has an alarm system. The data is sent automatically to insurance carriers in your area and you will receive price estimates quickly.
To compare lower-cost Pontiac Montana insurance rates now, click here then complete the form.
The companies in the list below provide free rate quotes in Portland, OR. To find cheap car insurance in Portland, OR, we suggest you visit as many as you can to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
Three reasons to not skimp on car insurance
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Pontiac Montana in Portland, car insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require a specific level of liability insurance coverage in order to be legal. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Montana, it’s most likely the lender will force you to buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender will be forced to insure your Pontiac at a significantly higher premium and require you to pay for it.
- Insurance safeguards not only your Pontiac Montana but also your assets. It will also reimburse you for most medical and hospital costs that are the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of having insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. But the average driver in Oregon is overpaying more than $820 a year so compare rate quotes at least once a year to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Auto insurance companies don’t always advertise all possible discounts very well, so below is a list some of the more common as well as some of the hidden discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Portland car insurance online.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Keeping the miles down on your Pontiac may allow you to get cheaper prices.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Putting insurance coverage on a new Montana can save you some money compared to insuring an older model.
- Distant Student Discount – College-age children who live away from home at college and leave their car at home can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Theft Deterrent – Vehicles that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accidents.
- Driver Training Discounts – Taking a course that instructs on driving safety could cut 5% off your bill and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- No Claim Discounts – Claim-free drivers pay less as compared to drivers with a long claim history.
- Good Student Discount – Getting good grades could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. This discount can apply up to age 25.
- Renewal Discounts – Select larger companies give a discount for switching to them early. You may see this discount when you get Portland car insurance quotes online.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So even though they make it sound like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you aren’t that lucky.
Auto insurance companies that have these discounts include:
Before you buy a policy, ask every prospective company which credits you are entitled to. Discounts may not be available everywhere. If you would like to see a list of insurance companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Portland, click here.
When to contact a local insurance agent
Some people just want to buy from a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is that you can find cheap car insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to. Supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is especially important in Portland.
Once you complete this short form, your information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Portland who will give competitive quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no reason to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. You can find the lowest rates without requiring a lot of work. If you have a need to get a price quote from a specific car insurance provider, you can always go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
Two types of Portland car insurance agents
If you need to find a local insurance agency, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents to choose from. Car insurance agencies are categorized either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents can quote rates with many companies so they can quote policies with an assortment of companies and find you the best rates. If premiums increase, they simply move the coverage in-house and the insured can keep the same agent. If you need lower rates, we highly recommend that you get insurance quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most can insure with different regional companies which can be an advantage.
The following are Portland independent insurance agencies who can help you get free price quotes.
- Wix Insurance Agency
8037 SE Stark St – Portland, OR 97215 – (503) 760-6826 – View Map
- Matthew K Barnett Agency
3332 N Lombard St – Portland, OR 97217 – (503) 285-2546 – View Map
- Pibal Insurance Brokers of Oregon
1314 NW Irving St – Portland, OR 97209 – (503) 287-8808 – View Map
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agencies can only write with one company like Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. These agents are not able to provide other company’s prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. These agents are well trained on their products and sales techniques which aids in selling service over price. Drivers often buy from exclusive agents mostly because of the prominence of the brand instead of buying on price only.
Shown below are Portland exclusive agencies willing to provide price quote information.
- Kilong Ung – State Farm Insurance Agent
4000 SE 82nd Ave #1400 – Portland, OR 97266 – (503) 777-6762 – View Map
- Ricky Hayter – State Farm Insurance Agent
7112 NE Sandy Blvd – Portland, OR 97213 – (503) 253-9315 – View Map
- Larry Rodman – State Farm Insurance Agent
7850 SW Barbur Blvd – Portland, OR 97219 – (503) 246-7753 – View Map
Finding the right auto insurance agent is decision based upon more than just a cheap price quote. Below are some questions you should ask.
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
- What discounts might you be missing?
Quote. Compare. Save.
You just read a lot of information how to shop for Pontiac Montana insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from an unexpected company.
More affordable insurance in Portland is attainable from both online companies and from local insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection. Some companies don’t offer online quoting and many times these regional carriers prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don’t be tempted to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. There have been many situations where drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
More tips and info about insurance can be read at these sites:
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Nurses in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Subaru Outback in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)