High-priced Pontiac GTO insurance in Portland can diminish your bank account and make it impossible to make ends meet. Comparison shopping is a smart way to cut your insurance bill.
It’s hard to fathom, but the vast majority of consumers have bought auto insurance from the same company for more than four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never even shopped around for affordable coverage. American consumers could cut their rates by approximately $850 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but most tend to underestimate the amount of savings they would get if they switched.
How to find cheaper Pontiac GTO insurance in Portland
Really, the only way to get affordable Pontiac GTO insurance in Portland is to annually compare prices from insurers that sell auto insurance in Oregon.
- Step 1: Spend a few minutes and learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the changes you can make to keep rates down. Many rating factors that increase rates like your driving record and a poor credit score can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Continue reading for additional ideas to find cheap prices and find more discounts that you may not know about.
- Step 2: Compare price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from multiple companies. View prices
- Step 3: Compare the quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you can save some money and decide to switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Step 4: Give notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit a down payment and signed policy application to your new carrier. Once the application is submitted, safely store the proof of insurance certificate along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
A key point to remember is to compare the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get rates from as many carriers as you can. Doing this ensures a fair rate comparison and maximum price selection.
With so many companies to choose from that have affordable insurance for a Pontiac GTO in Portland, it is hard for the average consumer to locate the most affordable company.
You should make it a habit to compare prices at least once a year because prices trend upward over time. Even if you got the best rates on Pontiac GTO insurance in Portland six months ago there is a good chance you can find better rate quotes now. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because I’m going to teach you how to quote online to remove unneeded coverages and save money.
Finding affordable auto insurance coverage in Portland is actually quite easy if you know where to start. If you already have coverage, you will most likely be able to get lower rates using the ideas covered in this article. Drivers just have to use the most efficient way to buy auto insurance instantly.
Most of the larger companies give price estimates on their websites. Getting online quotes for Pontiac GTO insurance in Portland is possible for anyone as you simply type in the coverages you want into a form. Once you submit the form, their system orders reports for credit and driving violations and gives you a price quote based on many factors. Quoting online for Pontiac GTO insurance in Portland streamlines rate comparisons, and it’s also necessary to get many rate quotes in order to find a better rate.
If you want to find out how much you can save on insurance, check out the insurance providers below. If you have coverage now, it’s recommended you copy the limits and deductibles as shown on your current policy. This way, you will have a fair comparison using the same coverage and limits.
The following companies provide comparison quotes in Oregon. To find the best cheap auto insurance in Portland, it’s a good idea that you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Do you qualify for discounts on Pontiac GTO insurance in Portland?
Some providers do not list every possible discount in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list some of the best known and also the more inconspicuous credits available to you.
- 55 and Retired – Drivers over the age of 55 may receive reduced rates.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Purchasing coverage when you have multiple cars or trucks with one company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Payment Discounts – By making one initial payment rather than spreading payments over time you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Distant Student – Older children who attend college more than 100 miles from Portland and don’t have a car could qualify for this discount.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military may lower your rates slightly.
- Data Collection Discounts – Insureds who allow their auto insurance company to track when and where they use their vehicle through the use of a telematics system such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could see a rate decrease if they are good drivers.
- Membership in Organizations – Belonging to qualifying employment or professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates on auto insurance.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Larger companies have a break if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
Discounts save money, but please remember that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like you could get a free auto insurance policy, you aren’t that lucky.
A few of the larger companies and their offered discounts are:
- GEICO offers premium reductions for good student, defensive driver, seat belt use, federal employee, and air bags.
- Travelers has savings for home ownership, save driver, payment discounts, student away at school, multi-car, and continuous insurance.
- Nationwide may include discounts for Farm Bureau membership, family plan, easy pay, good student, and anti-theft.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including switch companies, electronic funds transfer, early shopping, teen driver, multi-car, and bundle discounts.
- Esurance offers discounts for good driver, DriveSense, homeowner, claim free, good student, online shopper, and emergency road assistance.
- State Farm may offer discounts for good driver, safe vehicle, accident-free, good student, defensive driving training, anti-theft, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-policy, online quote discount, good student, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts including annual mileage, accident-free, multi-car, low natural disaster claims, professional/association, and multi-policy.
Before you buy a policy, ask every company which discounts you qualify for. Depending on the company, some discounts might not apply in Portland. To locate auto insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in Oregon, click this link.
Why you need to buy car insurance
Despite the high cost, insurance is required for several reasons.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, almost every bank will have a requirement that you buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank will be required to insure your Pontiac at a more expensive rate and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your vehicle. It will also pay for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses in the event you are sued. If your Pontiac gets damaged, your policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of buying enough insurance definitely exceed the price paid, particularly when you have a large claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is overpaying over $850 per year so it’s recommended you shop around every year to make sure the price is not too high.
Local Portland insurance agencies and auto insurance
A small number of people would rather get advice from a local agent and that is not a bad decision Experienced insurance agents will help you protect your assets and help file insurance claims. The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is you may find better rates and still buy from a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, the coverage information is submitted to participating agents in Portland who will give competitive quotes for your coverage. You won’t need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to your email. If you want to get a price quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you just need to navigate to their website and complete a quote there.
Selecting an company requires more thought than just the price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Is the agency active in community causes in Portland?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Is there a local claims center in Portland?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
Pick the best car insurance agent in Portland for you
When searching for an insurance agent, it’s helpful to know the types of insurance agents and how they can service your needs differently. Auto insurance agencies can be classified as either exclusive or independent. Either type can sell and service auto insurance coverage, but it’s important to point out the differences because it can factor into buying decisions.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Exclusive agencies can usually just insure with one company such as Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so they have no alternatives for high prices. These agents are trained well on what they offer and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
The following are exclusive agencies in Portland who can help you get price quote information.
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents do not sell for just one brand so they can insure your vehicles amongst many companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If prices rise, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to find a new agent. When comparing auto insurance prices, it’s a good idea to get insurance quotes from at a minimum one independent agency in order to have the best price comparison.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Portland who can help you get price quote information.
Upon receiving good answers to all your questions as well as offering an affordable quote, you may have just found an auto insurance agent that is professional and can provide auto insurance coverage.