Truthfully, the best way to find cheaper car insurance rates in Portland is to compare prices once a year from insurers who sell auto insurance in Oregon.
- Read about coverages and the steps you can take to keep rates down. Many policy risk factors that result in higher rates such as traffic violations and a not-so-good credit score can be amended by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Compare prices from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote rates from multiple sources. Select a company
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage and see if there is a cheaper rate in Portland. If you can save money and decide to switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
One piece of advice is to compare similar limits and deductibles on each quote and and to look at as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price quote selection.
Everyone knows that auto insurance companies don’t want policyholders to shop around. Consumers who compare other prices will presumably buy a different policy because the odds are good of finding lower prices. A survey found that people who made a habit of comparing rate quotes saved about $70 a month compared to policyholders who never compared rates.
If finding low prices for auto insurance in Portland is your ultimate goal, then learning about the best way to quote and compare insurance rates can make shopping around easier.
If you are already insured or want to find a cheaper company, you can learn to cut your premiums without sacrificing coverage. Buying the cheapest car insurance in Portland is actually not that difficult if you follow our advice. Smart shoppers only have to learn the quickest way to compare rates online from multiple companies.
Five factors that determine insurance prices
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that aid in calculating the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what influences your rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to big savings.
Cheaper premiums using theft deterrents – Buying a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can earn a premium discount. Systems that thwart thieves like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar can help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
Keep rates low by being claim-free – Companies in Oregon provide the lowest premiums to insureds that do not abuse their auto insurance. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to higher rates. Auto insurance is intended to be relied upon for the large, substantial claims.
Premiums drop with age – Inexperience drivers are proven to be less responsible with other occupants in the car so they pay higher auto insurance rates. More experienced drivers are viewed as being more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents, and get fewer tickets.
The chart below uses these variables: single driver, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Car and home together may be cheaper – Lots of auto insurance companies afford better rates to people who have multiple policies with them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount you may still want to check prices from other companies to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
Liability coverage risk factors – Your auto insurance policy’s liability coverage is the protection when you are responsible for physical damage or personal injury to other. Your liability coverage provides for a legal defense to defend your case. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
Mazda CX-9 claim probability – Insurers analyze the history of losses to help determine the price you pay. Vehicles that are shown to have higher claim amounts or frequency will have increased rates. The table below demonstrates the insurance loss data for Mazda CX-9 vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the loss probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is considered to be 100. Numbers shown that are under 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values that are above 100 indicate more frequent losses or an increased chance of a larger loss.
|Vehicle Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Mazda CX-9 4dr 2WD||87||108||74||87||95||89|
|Mazda CX-9 4dr 4WD||89||109||92||80||76||77|
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Premium rates and analysis
The rate table displayed next highlights different rate quotes for Mazda CX-9 models. Being more informed about how insurance rates are figured can be valuable when making smart policy decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|CX-9 Sport 2WD||$258||$336||$418||$24||$126||$1,162||$97|
|CX-9 Grand Touring 2WD||$258||$396||$418||$24||$126||$1,222||$102|
|CX-9 Sport AWD||$258||$396||$418||$24||$126||$1,222||$102|
|CX-9 Touring 2WD||$258||$396||$418||$24||$126||$1,222||$102|
|CX-9 Touring AWD||$258||$396||$418||$24||$126||$1,222||$102|
|CX-9 Grand Touring AWD||$288||$396||$418||$24||$126||$1,252||$104|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Price information does not factor in Portland location which can modify prices substantially.
The illustration below illustrates how your deductible choice and can affect Mazda CX-9 premium costs for different age categories. Data assumes a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no policy discounts are applied.
Tickets and at-fault accidents raise rates
The example below illustrates how speeding tickets and at-fault collisions can affect Mazda CX-9 insurance prices for each different age category. The information is based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Male drivers versus female drivers
The example below illustrates the comparison of Mazda CX-9 car insurance costs for male and female drivers. The rate quotes are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are factored in.
Should you buy full coverage?
The chart below illustrates the difference between Mazda CX-9 insurance premiums with and without physical damage coverage. The rates are based on no accidents, no driving violations, $1,000 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are factored in.
When to switch to liability coverage only
There is no set rule for eliminating comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let’s assume your Mazda CX-9 book value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, you would only receive $8,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If premium cost is more than $800 annually for full coverage, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some situations where only buying liability is not financially feasible. If you haven’t paid off your loan, you have to maintain full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not remove full coverage.
Discounts for lower-cost car insurance quotes
Some insurance providers don’t necessarily list the complete list of policy discounts very well, so here is a list some of the best known and the harder-to-find credits that may apply to you. If you are not receiving all the discounts available, you could be saving more on your car insurance.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars with anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Federal Government Employee – Simply working for the federal government can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
- Bundle and Save – When you have multiple policies and place coverage with the same company you could get a discount of 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Low Miles Discount – Fewer annual miles on your Mazda may allow you to get cheaper car insurance rates.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Taking a driver safety class could earn you a small percentage discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- No Accidents – Portland drivers who stay claim-free can earn big discounts as compared to policyholders that have many claims.
- Multi-line Discount – Select car insurance companies reward you with a small discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Buying a new car instead of a used CX-9 can get you a discount compared to insuring an older model.
Remember that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most cut specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, nobody gets a free ride. Any qualifying discounts should help reduce your policy premiums.
The diagram below illustrates the difference between Mazda CX-9 insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The rates are based on a male driver, no violations or accidents, Oregon state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, marriage, multi-car, homeowner, safe-driver, and claim-free discounts applied.
A few of the larger companies and some of the discounts include:
- Progressive may include discounts for online signing, online quote discount, homeowner, continuous coverage, and multi-vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for pay in full, teen driver, mature driver, switch companies, distant student, and youthful driver.
- Farm Bureau may have discounts that include driver training, safe driver, youthful driver, renewal discount, and 55 and retired.
- State Farm includes discounts for driver’s education, accident-free, student away at school, defensive driving training, multiple autos, and multiple policy.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for military active duty, daytime running lights, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, five-year accident-free, and emergency military deployment.
- SAFECO offers discounts including multi-car, drive less, bundle discounts, teen safe driver, anti-theft, teen safety rewards, and safe driver.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts for new vehicle discount, preferred payment discount, newly retired, new graduate, new move discount, safety features, and teen driver discount.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every company to give you their best rates. All car insurance discounts might not be available to policyholders in Portland. If you would like to see a list of insurers with discount car insurance rates in Portland, click this link.
Cheaper insurance rates are out there
When buying insurance coverage, you should never buy poor coverage just to save money. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to regret that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The proper strategy is to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford and still be able to protect your assets.
Affordable Mazda CX-9 insurance in Portland can be purchased both online in addition to many Portland insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies may not have online rate quotes and these small, regional companies sell through independent agencies.
We just presented a lot of ways to reduce Mazda CX-9 insurance prices online in Portland. The key thing to remember is the more price quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding affordable Portland auto insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the best price on insurance is with the least-expected company. They may only write in your state and offer lower rates than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
Additional insurance information is located below:
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Car Insurance Quotes for Low Credit Scores? (FAQ)
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)