If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get cheaper auto insurance rates in Portland is to compare prices regularly from insurers who provide auto insurance in Oregon.
- Step 1: Take a little time to learn about what coverages are included in your policy and the steps you can take to keep rates down. Many rating factors that increase rates like accidents, traffic violations, and poor credit history can be controlled by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices for a wide range of companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find better rates and buy the policy, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Give notification to your agent or company of your intention to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a down payment along with a signed application for the new policy. As soon as you can, put the new certificate verifying coverage in your vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
A good tip to remember is to try to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote and and to compare as many companies as you can. Doing this helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Everyone knows that auto insurance companies don’t want their customers to go rate shopping. Drivers who get price comparisons will, in all likelihood, buy a new policy because they have good chances of finding better rates. Remarkably, a study showed that consumers who made a habit of comparing rates saved about $865 a year compared to policyholders who don’t regularly compare prices.
If finding the best price on car insurance is the reason for your visit, then learning about the best ways to find and compare insurance coverage can save money and time.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will surely be able to buy cheaper insurance using the ideas covered in this article. These techniques will teach you the best ways to compare prices and some tricks to saving. But Oregon drivers must understand the way companies calculate your insurance rates and use it to your advantage.
Affordable companies for Lincoln Mark LT insurance in Oregon
The following companies offer comparison quotes in Portland, OR. In order to find cheap car insurance in OR, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get the lowest price.
Insurance policy discounts for Lincoln Mark LT insurance in Portland
Some insurers don’t necessarily list all discounts very clearly, so here is a list a few of the more well known as well as some of the hidden insurance savings. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – Not a discount per se, but some companies like Allstate, State Farm and GEICO allow you one accident before they charge you more for coverage as long as you don’t have any claims prior to being involved in the accident.
- Early Renewal Discounts – Some insurance companies give discounts for renewing your policy before your current Mark LT insurance policy expires. You could save around 10% when you buy Portland car insurance online.
- Anti-theft Discount – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles prevent vehicle theft and will qualify for a discount on a Portland car insurance quote.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you combine your homeowners and auto policies and place coverage with the same company you may earn over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Driving Data Discount – Portland drivers who agree to allow their insurance company to monitor driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle like Allstate’s Drivewise might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
- Distant Student – Older children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and won’t have access to an insured vehicle may be insured at a cheaper rate.
Policy discounts save money, but most discounts do not apply to the whole policy. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. Despite the appearance that all those discounts means the company will pay you, it’s just not the way it works.
A list of companies and a partial list of their discounts are shown below.
- State Farm offers discounts for multiple policy, good student, good driver, passive restraint, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Farmers Insurance may include discounts for youthful driver, electronic funds transfer, mature driver, good student, bundle discounts, distant student, and alternative fuel.
- GEICO has savings for daytime running lights, membership and employees, military active duty, federal employee, driver training, and anti-theft.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including air bags, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, TimeAway discount, good student, and early bird.
- Nationwide may have discounts that include anti-theft, good student, multi-policy, defensive driving, and easy pay.
- Progressive has discounts for good student, homeowner, online quote discount, online signing, and continuous coverage.
It’s a good idea to ask each insurance company how many discounts you can get. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policyholders in your state. To find companies that offer discounts in Portland, follow this link.
You may need specialized auto insurance coverage
When quoting and comparing a policy, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Every insured’s situation is different and your auto insurance should be unique as well.
For instance, these questions may help you determine whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- How much coverage applies to personal belongings?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount?
- Why do I have to buy liability insurance?
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Compare rate quotes but still have a local neighborhood Portland car insurance agent
Certain consumers prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and doing so can bring peace of mind The biggest benefit of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates and still buy from a local agent. And supporting local agencies is especially important in Portland.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your information is immediately sent to companies in Portland who can give free rate quotes for your coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to your email. You can find lower rates without requiring a lot of work. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a specific auto insurance provider, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and give them your coverage information.
Types of auto insurance agents
If you want to use a local Portland insurance agent, there are two different types of agencies and how they can quote your rates. Insurance agencies in Portland can be described as either exclusive or independent.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents often have affiliation with several companies and that enables them to quote your coverage with a variety of different insurance companies and find you the best rates. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply switch companies in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies. If you are comparing rate quotes, we recommend you get quotes from several independent agencies in order to compare the most rates. Most also write with companies that do not advertise much which may provide better rates.
Featured below is a small list of independent agents in Portland that may be able to give free auto insurance quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: Eric L Weber Agency
4415 NE Sandy Blvd Ste 200 – Portland, OR 97213 – (503) 249-7667 – View Map
- Stamm Stuart Bybee Insurance
16455 SE Division St – Portland, OR 97236 – (971) 254-1148 – View Map
- Pibal Insurance Brokers of Oregon
1314 NW Irving St – Portland, OR 97209 – (503) 287-8808 – View Map
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents can only quote rates from one company and examples are State Farm or Allstate. Exclusive agents are unable to compare rates from other companies so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive agencies are highly trained on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers frequently use the same agent mostly because of the brand and strong financial ratings.
Listed below are Portland exclusive insurance agencies willing to provide price quotes.
- Michael Holton – State Farm Insurance Agent
7113 SW Macadam Ave – Portland, OR 97219 – (503) 517-9090 – View Map
- Gunnar Olson – State Farm Insurance Agent
107 SE Washington St Ste 143 – Portland, OR 97214 – (503) 230-0216 – View Map
- H.Q. La – State Farm Insurance Agent
1827 NE 44th Ave #110 – Portland, OR 97213 – (503) 236-3776 – View Map
Choosing an car insurance agent is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. Agents should be asked these questions:
- How long has their agency been open in Portland?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
After talking to the agent and getting good responses to any questions you have as well as inexpensive Lincoln Mark LT insurance in Portland quotes, it’s a good possibility that you have found an insurance agency that can be relied on to provide auto insurance coverage.
Car insurance policy specifics
Understanding the coverages of car insurance can help you determine the best coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Car insurance terms can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Below you’ll find typical coverage types found on most car insurance policies.
Comprehensive insurance – Comprehensive insurance pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as a broken windshield, rock chips in glass, hitting a deer and damage from flooding. The highest amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your Lincoln Mark LT.
Since many Oregon drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (25/50/20), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Normally these coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Collision – Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your Mark LT resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against things like hitting a parking meter, colliding with a tree, driving through your garage door and damaging your car on a curb. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider dropping it from lower value vehicles. You can also increase the deductible on your Mark LT to bring the cost down.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for bills like ambulance fees, EMT expenses, rehabilitation expenses, chiropractic care and doctor visits. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Liability car insurance – Liability coverage can cover damages or injuries you inflict on other people or property that is your fault. This insurance protects YOU from legal claims by others. It does not cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 25/50/20 that translate to $25,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a total limit of $20,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Occasionally you may see one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which combines the three limits into one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage pays for things like pain and suffering, attorney fees and bail bonds. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but buy as high a limit as you can afford. Oregon state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/20 but you should consider buying higher limits.
The next chart shows why the minimum limit may not be high enough to cover claims.
Oregon car insurance companies ranked
Buying coverage from the top car insurance company can be a challenge considering how many companies there are to choose from in Oregon. The company ratings in the lists below can help you decide which car insurance providers to look at comparing rates from.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- State Farm
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Titan Insurance
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- The General
- Titan Insurance
- Mercury Insurance
Cheap coverage is out there
As you prepare to switch companies, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your objective should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price, but do not skimp to save money.
Lower-priced car insurance in Portland can be sourced both online and from local agencies, and you should compare rates from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies may not have online quoting and many times these regional carriers only sell coverage through independent agents.
More tips and info about car insurance is available in these articles:
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Car Insurance Quotes for Used Cars? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for High School Students in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Subaru Outback in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 70? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Honda Civic in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with Accidents in Portland? (FAQ)
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Get the Right Protection (InsureUonline.org)