Astonishing but true according to a recent study, the vast majority of drivers have purchased from the same company for more than four years, and 38% of customers have never compared rate quotes at all. Most drivers in America can cut their rates by $860 a year, but most undervalue how much savings they would realize if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get the cheapest Kia Spectra insurance in Portland is to compare quotes annually from different companies that sell auto insurance in Oregon.
- Read about auto insurance and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that cause rate increases like high-risk driving behaviors and an unacceptable credit rating can be amended by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. This article gives additional ideas to get low prices and get bigger discounts that may have been overlooked.
- Get rate quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from multiple companies. Begin your rate comparison
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide proper notification to your current company to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit the completed application along with a down payment to your new carrier. Once the application is submitted, keep the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in your vehicle.
The most important part of shopping around is to make sure you’re comparing the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to get price quotes from as many companies as possible. Doing this helps ensure a level playing field and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
The auto insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide price comparisons in Oregon. To find cheap car insurance in Portland, OR, we recommend you compare several of them to get the most affordable price.
Insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the high cost, buying insurance is required for several reasons.
First, just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a loan on your car, most banks will require that you have comprehensive coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Kia for a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
Third, insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for medical bills for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If your Kia gets damaged, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially when you need to use it. On average, a vehicle owner in Portland is overpaying over $865 each year so compare rate quotes every year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Discount Portland insurance rates
Insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you may be missing some discounts to help offset the cost. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time of quoting, but some discounts are required to be asked about prior to getting the savings.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a house in Portland may trigger a policy discount on insurance because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Telematics Data Discounts – People who choose to allow companies to analyze vehicle usage remotely such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate could save a few bucks if they are good drivers.
- Paperless Signup – Some of the larger companies will give you a small discount shop Portland car insurance digitally online.
- Active Service Discounts – Being deployed with a military unit could mean lower insurance rates.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Buying insurance for multiple vehicles with one company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Government Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government could cut as much as 10% off depending on your insurance provider.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
Don’t be surprised that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, nobody gets a free ride. But any discount will lower the premium cost.
Companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are detailed below.
- Progressive has savings for homeowner, online signing, continuous coverage, good student, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include mature driver, switch companies, homeowner, good student, and multi-car.
- Farm Bureau offers premium reductions for youthful driver, safe driver, 55 and retired, good student, driver training, and multi-vehicle.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including accident-free, anti-theft, multiple autos, multiple policy, good driver, defensive driving training, and good student.
- GEICO has discounts for anti-lock brakes, seat belt use, membership and employees, multi-policy, driver training, five-year accident-free, and military active duty.
- SAFECO includes discounts for drive less, accident prevention training, teen safe driver, safe driver, bundle discounts, anti-theft, and homeowner.
- Liberty Mutual may offer discounts for newly married, newly retired, new move discount, new vehicle discount, new graduate, exclusive group savings, and multi-car.
When quoting, ask every insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policyholders in every state.
Compare rates but buy from a local Portland insurance agent
A small number of people still like to talk to a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision Licensed agents will help you protect your assets and help submit paperwork. An additional benefit of price shopping on the web is that you can find cheaper prices and still buy from a local agent.
By using this short form, the quote information gets sent to companies in Portland that provide free Portland car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to contact any agents since price quotes are sent to you instantly. In the event you want to quote rates from a particular provider, feel free to find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Choosing the best company requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
What types of auto insurance agents are in Portland?
If you want to buy car insurance from a reputable agency, it’s helpful to know the types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Portland agents can be categorized as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either one can do a good job, but it is a good idea to know the differences since it can impact your selection of an agent.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents are contracted to one company and some examples include State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. They are trained well on sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Drivers often buy insurance from these agents mostly because of the brand name and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Portland willing to provide price quotes.
- American Family Insurance – Lee Cannon
8085 SE 16th Ave – Portland, OR 97202 – (503) 235-1545 – View Map
- John Lokting – State Farm Insurance Agent
307 SE 102nd Ave – Portland, OR 97216 – (503) 252-5581 – View Map
- State Farm: Jared Dean
101 SW Main St #915 – Portland, OR 97204 – (503) 222-6601 – View Map
Agents in the independent channel are not restricted to one company so they can write business with many different companies and find you cheaper rates. If your premiums go up, the business is moved internally which requires no work on your part. If you are comparing rate quotes, you will want to get quotes from independent agents for maximum quote selection. A lot of them also have access to additional companies that you may not be familiar with that may provide cheaper car insurance rates.
The following are Portland independent insurance agencies who can help you get price quotes.
- Matthew K Barnett Agency
3332 N Lombard St – Portland, OR 97217 – (503) 285-2546 – View Map
- Fournier Group
510 SW 5th Ave #701 – Portland, OR 97204 – (503) 251-2255 – View Map
- WelPland Insurance, SE Portland and Clackamas County
5845 SE 82nd Ave – Portland, OR 97266 – (503) 777-5406 – View Map
Auto insurance is unique, just like you
Always keep in mind that when comparing a policy for your personal vehicles, there really is not a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Every situation is different.
For instance, these questions may help you determine if your insurance needs would benefit from professional advice.
- Is my state a no-fault state?
- What are good deductibles for a Kia Spectra?
- Am I covered if I hit my neighbor’s mailbox?
- Will damage be repaired with OEM parts?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Do they offer discounts for home and auto coverage?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- How can I get my company to pay me more for my totaled car?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form. It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Best car insurance company in Portland
Choosing a high-quality insurer can be a challenge considering how many companies provide coverage in Portland. The company rank data below can help you analyze which auto insurance companies you want to consider comparing rate quotes with.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- Travelers – A++
- GEICO – A++
- State Farm – A++
- The Hartford – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Mercury Insurance – A+
- Titan Insurance – A+
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- American Family
Frequent quotes can save
Drivers leave their current company for a number of reasons such as high prices, not issuing a premium refund, delays in responding to claim requests and even an unsatisfactory settlement offer. No matter why you want to switch, finding the right auto insurance provider is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
As you shop your coverage around, you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many instances, drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that they should have had better coverage. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate.
You just read many ideas to compare Kia Spectra insurance car insurance rates in Portland. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable Kia Spectra insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the biggest savings come from a small local company.
For more information, take a look at these articles:
- Should I Buy a New or Used Car? (Allstate)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Ride Shares in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for Safe Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much are Portland Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Under 21? (FAQ)
- Young Drivers: The High Risk Years Video (iihs.org)
- Uninsured Motorists: Threats on the Road (Insurance Information Institute)