Unthinkable but true, the vast majority of drivers have remained with the same auto insurance company for at least the last four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. Portland drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing quotes, but they just feel it’s too hard to shop around.
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to find the cheapest price for auto insurance rates is to compare quotes once a year from providers in Portland. You can compare rates by following these steps.
Step 1: Read and learn about what is in your policy and the modifications you can make to prevent high rates. Many risk factors that result in higher prices such as speeding and an imperfect credit score can be rectified by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Later in this article we will cover ideas to help keep prices low and get additional discounts.
Step 2: Quote rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices from multiple companies.
Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper rate is available in Portland. If you can save some money, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
Step 4: Provide notification to your current company to cancel the current policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment to the newly selected company. Once the application is submitted, place your new certificate verifying proof of insurance with your vehicle’s registration.
A good piece of advice is to compare identical deductibles and limits on every price quote and and to look at as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this enables a level playing field and a complete price analysis.
Lowering your insurance rates is an easy way to save money. You just need to spend a few minutes on the computer to compare rate quotes from online providers.
It’s so easy to compare rate quotes online that it takes the place of having to actually drive to insurance agents’ offices. Comparing online rate quotes makes this process obsolete unless you’re the type of person who wants the personal advice of an agent trained in personal lines coverage. It is possible with some companies price shop online but still have the advice of a local agent.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Oregon. If multiple companies are listed, it’s a good idea that you click on several of them to get the best price comparison.
Discount Portland car insurance quotes
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can drop the cost substantially. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you quote, but a few must be specially asked for prior to getting the savings. If you do not check that you are getting every discount available, it’s possible you qualify for a lower rate.
- Onboard Data Collection – Insureds that choose to allow companies to monitor vehicle usage by using a telematics device in their vehicle like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot might get better premium rates if they are good drivers.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Taking a defensive driver course could save 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle up can save a little off PIP or medical payments premium.
- Paperless Signup – A few car insurance companies give back up to $50 for signing up over the internet.
- Early Renewal Discounts – A few larger companies offer discounts for switching policies before your current Amanti insurance policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving fewer miles could earn cheaper car insurance rates.
- Full Payment Discount – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than paying in monthly installments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Distant Student Discount – Youth drivers who are enrolled in higher education away from home and don’t have a car can receive lower rates.
Policy discounts save money, but many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like you can get free auto insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
Companies and the discounts they provide are detailed below.
- Travelers has discounts for multi-car, hybrid/electric vehicle, save driver, IntelliDrive, driver training, early quote, and multi-policy.
- 21st Century may offer discounts for automatic seat belts, air bags, teen driver, student driver, and anti-lock brakes.
- State Farm discounts include anti-theft, accident-free, driver’s education, student away at school, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and Drive Safe & Save.
- GEICO offers discounts for seat belt use, five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, emergency military deployment, and anti-lock brakes.
- SAFECO includes discounts for anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, drive less, accident prevention training, bundle discounts, multi-car, and safe driver.
- AAA may include discounts for education and occupation, good student, pay-in-full, AAA membership discount, and multi-policy.
When getting free Portland auto insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to each company or agent which discounts you qualify for. A few discounts may not be offered in Portland. To choose insurance companies offering car insurance discounts in Oregon, click here to view.
Local neighborhood insurance agents
Certain consumers would rather buy from a local agent and that is not a bad decision Agents can help determine the best coverages and help you file claims. The best thing about getting online price quotes is the fact that drivers can get the best rates and still have a local agent.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), the quote information is sent to local insurance agents in Portland who want to provide quotes for your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to search for any insurance agencies because prices are sent to you instantly. If you have a need to get a rate quote from a specific company, just go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Choosing the best provider should depend on more than just a low price. Any agent in Portland should be forthright in answering these questions:
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Oregon?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
When finding a local Portland insurance agent, it helps to know the two types of agencies and how they operate. Agencies in Portland are either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn how they differ since it may influence the selection process.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can only write with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance and State Farm. They generally cannot place coverage with different providers so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive insurance agents are well trained on their company’s products which can be an advantage.
Below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Portland that are able to give rate quotes.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are normally appointed by many insurers so as a result can place your coverage with multiple insurance companies and find you the best rates. If premiums increase, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part.
When searching for an agent, you will definitely want to include rate quotes from independent agents in order to have the best price comparison.
Shown below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Portland who can help you get price quotes.
Eight factors that impact insurance rates
When buying auto insurance it’s important to understand some of the factors that come into play when calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that may result in lower auto insurance prices.
The items below are some of the things used by insurance companies to determine prices.
- How many miles do you drive? – Driving more miles in a year’s time the more you’ll pay to insure it. Most insurance companies rate vehicles based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Autos left parked in the garage qualify for better rates than those that get driven frequently. An incorrectly rated Amanti is throwing money out the window. Verify your auto insurance policy is showing the correct usage.
- Big cities mean more claims – Being located in small towns and rural areas can save you money when it comes to auto insurance. Lower population means reduced accidents and lower theft and vandalism rates. Drivers in populated Oregon areas have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Higher commute times means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
- Married people drive safer – Having a significant other helps lower the price on your auto insurance policy. Having a significant other demonstrates that you tend to be more mature than a single person and statistics prove married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Add-on coverages push up rates – Insurance policies have a lot of extra coverages that you can buy but may not be useful. Add-on coverages like rental car coverage, accidental death, and Farm Bureau memberships may not be needed and are just wasting money. These may sound like a good investment when discussing your needs, but if you’ve never needed them in the past get rid of them and save.
- Know your credit score – Having a bad credit score will be a significant factor in determining what you pay. If your credit could use some work, you could be paying less to insure your Kia Amanti by taking the time to improve your credit score. People that have high credit ratings tend to be better risks to insure as compared to drivers with poor credit scores.
- Job reflects on premiums – Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Jobs like military personnel, airline pilots, and accountants tend to have higher average rates in part from high stress levels and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, jobs such as scientists, engineers and the unemployed generally pay rates lower than average.
- More policies can equal more savings – Most auto insurance companies will give lower prices to customers that purchase more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to 10 percent or more. Even with this discount, you may still want to get quotes from other companies to help ensure you have the lowest rates.
- Don’t cut corners with liability insurance – The liability section of your policy is the coverage that protects you when you are determined to be liable for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Your policy’s liability insurance provides legal defense coverage up to the limits shown on your policy. This coverage is relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
Why you need quality insurance for your vehicle
Despite the high insurance cost for a Kia Amanti in Portland, buying insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Amanti, it’s most likely the lender will stipulate that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank will be required to insure your Kia at an extremely high rate and require you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance safeguards not only your vehicle but also your financial assets. It will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if you cause an accident and are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your insurance policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. An average driver in America is overpaying over $825 a year so it’s recommended you shop around at every policy renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Shop smart and save
More affordable auto insurance in Portland can be sourced on the web and with local Portland insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance companies do not provide rates over the internet and these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent insurance agents.
As you restructure your insurance plan, never buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits only to regret that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford, not the least amount of coverage.
We just presented quite a bit of information on how to save on Kia Amanti insurance in Portland. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding inexpensive Portland auto insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the lowest rates come from the smaller companies. They may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Chevrolet Silverado in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Auto Insurance Rates for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)