Price shopping your Kia Sorento insurance in Portland can seem to be kind of frustrating for drivers who are new to comparing prices online. With such a large choice of companies, it can easily become a difficult situation to compare coverage rates on Kia Sorento insurance.
How to buy cheaper Kia Sorento insurance in Portland
Truthfully, the best way to find cheaper prices for Kia Sorento insurance is to compare prices regularly from insurers that insure vehicles in Portland. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Read and learn about what is in your policy and the changes you can make to prevent high rates. Many risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as traffic violations, accidents, and a not-so-good credit history can be eliminated by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Continue reading for ideas to prevent expensive rate increases and get discounts that may be available to you.
- Step 2: Get rate quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices for a wide range of companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate and switch companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Step 4: Give notification to your current company of your intention to cancel the current policy and submit the signed application along with the required initial payment for the new policy. As soon as coverage is bound, place the new certificate verifying proof of insurance somewhere easily accessible.
The key aspect of shopping around is that you’ll want to compare identical coverages on each quote and and to get price quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
Sadly, over 70% of drivers have been with the same company for at least the last four years, and practically 40% of auto insurance customers have never quoted rates to find cheaper coverage. Oregon drivers could save themselves up to $1,000 a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they underestimate the benefits if they switch to a new company.
It’s important to get comparison quotes periodically because insurance prices are constantly changing. Just because you found the best rate on Kia Sorento insurance in Portland a couple years back the chances are good that you can find a lower premium rate today. Ignore everything you know about auto insurance because you’re going to learn the fastest and easiest way to reduce your cost while increasing coverage.
Locating the best rates in Portland is not that difficult. If you currently have insurance, you should be able to reduce premiums using these techniques. Nevertheless, Oregon car owners should learn how big insurance companies compete online and apply this information to your search.
Don’t overlook these ten Kia Sorento insurance discounts
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but companies offer discounts that can help lower your rates. Some discounts will apply at the time of quoting, but a few must be asked about before you will receive the discount.
- Passive Restraints – Factory air bags or motorized seat belts could see savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying insurance for multiple vehicles on one policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars and trucks that have anti-lock braking systems can avoid accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Distant Student – College-age children who live away from home at college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Defensive Driver – Taking part in a course teaching defensive driver skills could cut 5% off your bill if your company offers it.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you can combine your home and auto policy with one insurance company you could save at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Data Collection Discounts – Drivers who elect to allow their insurance company to monitor vehicle usage remotely like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive’s Snapshot might get better premium rates if they are good drivers.
- Good Student Discount – Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. Many companies even apply the discount to college students well after school through age 25.
- Drive Less and Save – Maintaining low annual mileage can earn discounted premium rates on garaged vehicles.
- Professional Organizations – Being a member of qualifying employment or professional organizations can get you a small discount on car insurance.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though the math looks like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
Popular car insurance companies and some of the discounts are detailed below.
- State Farm offers discounts including driver’s education, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, defensive driving training, safe vehicle, multiple autos, and anti-theft.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for alternative fuel, bundle discounts, switch companies, good student, business and professional, teen driver, and homeowner.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and online signing.
- GEICO may include discounts for anti-lock brakes, driver training, anti-theft, membership and employees, defensive driver, and federal employee.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts for paid in full, paperless, group or association, multiple vehicles, anti-theft, and company car.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for driver training, air bag, anti-theft, vehicle fuel type, bundle, and defensive driver.
- Farm Bureau includes discounts for 55 and retired, driver training, multi-policy, safe driver, good student, and renewal discount.
- USAA offers premium reductions for loyalty savings, good student, multi-vehicle, family discount, annual mileage, and defensive driver.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company or agent the best way to save money. Some credits might not be offered in your state.
Insurance coverages explained
Knowing the specifics of your policy aids in choosing the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
This protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Kia Sorento.
Since many Oregon drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (25/50/20 in Oregon), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
This will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like hitting a deer, fire damage, theft, damage from flooding and falling objects. The most you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Liability auto insurance
This coverage provides protection from damage that occurs to other’s property or people in an accident. It protects YOU from legal claims by others, and does not provide coverage for damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 25/50/20 which stand for $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a limit of $20,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability can pay for things like structural damage, medical expenses, emergency aid, legal defense fees and bail bonds. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but buy higher limits if possible. Oregon requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/20 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
The chart below shows why buying the state minimum limits may not be adequate.
Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your Sorento from colliding with an object or car. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for claims such as driving through your garage door, hitting a mailbox, sustaining damage from a pot hole and rolling your car. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to increase the deductible on your Sorento to bring the cost down.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for short-term medical expenses for things like X-ray expenses, dental work, doctor visits, chiropractic care and funeral costs. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
What is the best car insurance company in Portland?
Finding the right auto insurance company can be a challenge considering how many companies provide coverage in Portland. The ranking information listed below could help you decide which auto insurance companies you want to consider comparing rate quotes with.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- Titan Insurance – 95%
- USAA – 94%
- AAA Insurance – 91%
- Nationwide – 90%
- State Farm – 90%
- The Hartford – 89%
- GEICO – 89%
- 21st Century – 88%
- Liberty Mutual – 88%
- Allstate – 88%
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- American Family
- The Hartford
- Titan Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- Mercury Insurance
Compare but don’t skimp
We just showed you a lot of tips how to lower your Kia Sorento insurance prices in Portland. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting inexpensive Portland car insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are a lot of situations where consumers will sacrifice physical damage coverage only to find out they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
Consumers leave their current company for any number of reasons including not issuing a premium refund, lack of trust in their agent, denial of a claim or even being labeled a high risk driver. No matter why you want to switch, finding the right car insurance provider is easier than you think.
Steps to finding affordable quotes for Kia Sorento insurance in Portland
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get cheaper car insurance rates is to start doing a yearly price comparison from companies in Portland. You can shop around by completing these steps.
- First, spend some time learning about how insurance works and the measures you can take to drop your rates. Many factors that are responsible for high rates such as speeding tickets, careless driving and a poor credit rating can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Second, get rate quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can provide rates from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Third, compare the quotes to the price on your current policy to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you find better rates and switch companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
An important note is that you use the same deductibles and limits on each quote request and and to analyze as many different companies as possible. Doing this guarantees a fair rate comparison and the best price selection.
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
- How Much are Portland Car Insurance Rates for a Learners Permit? (FAQ)
- How Much are Portland Car Insurance Rates for Good Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for Lyft Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford Edge? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota 4Runner? (FAQ)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Understanding Limits and Deductibles (Allstate)
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)