If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get discount auto insurance rates in Portland is to start doing a yearly price comparison from companies in Oregon.
- First, gain an understanding of how insurance companies determine prices and the modifications you can make to prevent high rates. Many things that result in higher rates like distracted driving and a poor credit rating can be controlled by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Second, compare prices from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can quote rates for a wide range of companies. Start a quote
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy and see if you can save money. If you can save money, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Fourth, provide proper notification to your current company to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment to your new company or agent. As soon as you have the new policy, store the proof of insurance paperwork with your vehicle’s registration.
The key aspect of shopping around is that you’ll want to compare the same amount of coverage on every quote and and to get quotes from as many carriers as you can. This ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
Anyone knows that insurance companies don’t want you to look for cheaper rates. Insureds who shop around for cheaper prices are inclined to switch to a new company because they have a good chance of finding discount prices. A study showed that consumers who routinely compared rates saved as much as $3,500 over four years as compared to drivers who don’t regularly compare prices.
If saving money on Ford GT insurance is your goal, knowing the best way to quote and compare car insurance can make the process more efficient.
When shopping for low cost Portland car insurance quotes, there are a couple of ways to compare rate quotes from lots of Oregon insurance companies. The fastest way to compare Ford GT insurance prices is to jump online and get quotes.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it makes it obsolete to drive to insurance agencies in your area. Quoting Ford GT insurance online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless you require the advice and guidance that can only be provided by a licensed insurance agent. It is possible to compare the best prices online and still use a local agent.
When comparing insurance rates, know that having more price comparisons helps you find lower pricing.
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Portland, OR. To locate cheap car insurance in Oregon, we suggest you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Why you need to buy auto insurance
Even though Portland GT insurance rates can get expensive, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
First, most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific level of liability protection in order to license the vehicle. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your GT with a loan, it’s most likely the lender will require you to have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If the policy lapses, the lender will be forced to insure your Ford at a more expensive rate and require you to fork over the higher price.
Third, insurance safeguards both your Ford GT and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage also pays expenses related to your legal defense if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your Ford gets damaged, your auto insurance policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your GT definitely exceed the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. But the average driver in Oregon overpays more than $700 annually so shop around once a year at a minimum to save money.
Discounts for cheap car insurance rates
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always list every discount available in an easy-to-find place, so we researched both well-publicized as well as some of the hidden discounts that you may qualify for.
- Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use a seat belt can save up to 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Federal government employees could provide a small rate reduction depending on your company.
- Data Collection Discounts – Drivers who elect to allow their car insurance company to analyze driving patterns by using a telematics device such as State Farm’s In-Drive could save a few bucks if they have good driving habits.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Having multiple cars on the same car insurance policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-lock braking systems have fewer accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you combine your auto and home policies with one insurance company you could get a discount of up to 20% off your total GT insurance premium.
- Drive Less and Save – Driving fewer miles could earn substantially lower car insurance rates.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts of up to 25% or more.
Please keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like you can get free auto insurance, it just doesn’t work that way.
To find companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Oregon, click this link.
Buying auto insurance from Portland car insurance agents
Many people prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is OK! One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is you may find cheap auto insurance quotes and still have a local agent.
Once you complete this simple form, the coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Portland that can give you free Portland car insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to contact any agents since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. You can most likely find cheaper rates and work with a local agent. If you need to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, you just need to search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
Choosing an provider requires more thought than just a cheap price quote. These are valid questions to ask:
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Does the agent help file claims?
Exclusive and independent Portland car insurance agents
If you are searching for a local insurance agency, there are two different types of agents and how they can service your needs differently. Agencies in Portland may be either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive generally can only insure with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, or Allstate. Exclusive agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive insurance agents are very knowledgeable in insurance sales and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Shown below are Portland exclusive agents willing to provide price quotes.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that elect to be independent often have affiliation with several companies and that gives them the ability to insure through many companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don’t have to do anything. If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, you definitely need to get quotes from several independent insurance agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Shown below are Portland independent insurance agents willing to provide rate quotes.
After getting reasonable responses to any questions you may have and an acceptable price quote, it’s possible that you found a car insurance agent that meets your needs to service your policy. Just remember you can terminate your policy when you choose so don’t feel that you are obligated to your new company for the full term.
Quote more to save more
Cheap Ford GT insurance in Portland can be found both online as well as from insurance agents, so you need to shop Portland car insurance with both to have the best selection. Some companies do not offer rate quotes online and most of the time these regional carriers sell through independent agents.
In this article, we covered quite a bit of information on how to find cheap Ford GT insurance in Portland. The most important thing to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding inexpensive Portland car insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best premium rates are with a lesser-known regional company. Smaller companies may only write in your state and offer lower prices than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm or Progressive.
More tips and info about insurance can be found by following these links:
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Government Employees in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Portland Auto Insurance Rates for a 20 Year Old Female? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for a Jeep Wrangler in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Car Insurance for 4×4 Vehicles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Auto Insurance Rates After a Speeding Ticket? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Portland, Oregon? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Car Insurance Quotes for Low Credit Scores? (FAQ)
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- Keeping Children Safe in Crashes Video (iihs.org)