Regrettably, over 70% of consumers have purchased from the same company for at least the last four years, and 38% of customers have never shopped around. With the average insurance premium being $1,735, Portland drivers could pocket 60% a year by just shopping around, but they just don’t understand how easy it is to compare rate quotes.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get more affordable auto insurance rates in Portland is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from insurance carriers in Oregon. Rate comparisons can be done by completing these steps.
- First, read about how auto insurance works and the things you can change to keep rates in check. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as speeding tickets, accidents and poor credit history can be improved by being financially responsible and driving safely. Keep reading for additional ideas to find cheap prices and earn a bigger discount.
- Second, request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from multiple companies.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy and determine if there is any savings. If you can save money, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, provide notification to your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your current policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application for your new policy. Immediately upon receiving it, put the certificate verifying coverage with your registration paperwork.
An important bit of advice to remember is to try to use the same level of coverage on each price quote and and to get quotes from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this guarantees the most accurate price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
If you have a current auto insurance policy, you will be able to get lower rates using the concepts covered in this article. Locating the best rates in Portland can initially seem challenging. But Oregon car owners do need to understand how companies calculate their prices and take advantage of how the system works.
The best way to compare insurance rates in your area takes advantage of the fact all the major auto insurance companies have advanced systems to compare their rates. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is take a few minutes to give details like if it has an anti-theft system, how much school you completed, your occupation, and if you lease or own. The rating information is then sent to insurance companies and they return rate quotes instantly.
To find lower lower-cost Chrysler Aspen insurance rates now, click here and complete the form.
The following companies are ready to provide price quotes in Portland, OR. If you wish to find cheap auto insurance in OR, we recommend you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Car insurance is not optional in Oregon
Despite the high insurance cost for a Chrysler Aspen in Portland, car insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a specific level of liability coverage if you want to drive legally. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Chrysler has a loan, almost all lenders will have a requirement that you have insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Chrysler at a much higher rate and force you to pay for it.
- Car insurance preserves both your vehicle and your assets. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay to defend you if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance definitely exceed the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver is overpaying over $700 annually so you should quote and compare rates at least once a year to ensure rates are inline.
Discounts for cheap auto insurance rates
Car insurance companies don’t always publicize every discount available in an easy-to-find place, so the following is a list of a few of the more well known and the more hidden ways to save on auto insurance.
- No Claim Discounts – Insureds with no claims or accidents can earn big discounts in comparison to policyholders that have many claims.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or former government employment could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
- Defensive Driver Discounts – Successfully completing a safe driver course could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Drivers Ed for Students – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers successfully take a driver’s education course as it can save substantially.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to wear their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you combine your homeowners and auto insurance and insure them with the same company you could earn a discount of at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles that have anti-lock braking systems prevent accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, that’s just not realistic.
The best auto insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are detailed below.
- Progressive offers discounts for online signing, multi-vehicle, homeowner, good student, online quote discount, and continuous coverage.
- MetLife may include discounts for multi-policy, accident-free, defensive driver, good driver, good student, claim-free
- Mercury Insurance discounts include ease of repair, multi-policy, good driver, professional/association, and low natural disaster claims.
- Nationwide offers premium reductions for defensive driving, easy pay, family plan, good student, Farm Bureau membership, and business or organization.
- GEICO has savings for driver training, seat belt use, air bags, five-year accident-free, and good student.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including multi-car, pay-in-full, education and occupation, AAA membership discount, multi-policy, good student, and good driver.
Double check with all the companies to give you their best rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policies in Portland. If you would like to see a list of insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Portland, click here.
Do I need an insurance agent?
A small number of people would prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is a personal choice. An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that you can find cheaper premium rates but also keep your business local. Buying insurance from local agents is still important in Portland.
By using this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is emailed to agents in your area that give free quotes for your insurance coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to drive around since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. You can find better rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you wish to quote rates from a specific insurance provider, just go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
The following are Portland insurance companies that may be willing to give rate quotes for Chrysler Aspen insurance in Portland.
Picking an provider is decision based upon more than just a low price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- How long has their agency been open in Portland?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
How to find a good Portland car insurance company
Choosing the right insurer can be a challenge considering how many different companies there are to choose from in Oregon. The company ratings shown below could help you decide which car insurance providers to look at when shopping around.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- The General
- Titan Insurance
- Mercury Insurance
Compare rates regularly to save
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage to discover at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your objective should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the lowest possible cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
More affordable auto insurance in Portland is possible on the web in addition to many Portland insurance agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance providers may not offer the ability to get quotes online and usually these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
Additional detailed information is located in these articles:
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)
- How Much are Portland Car Insurance Rates for Good Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for 17 Year Olds in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Uninsured Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much is Portland Car Insurance for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Portland Auto Insurance Rates for Hybrid Vehicles? (FAQ)
- Should I Purchase an Umbrella Liability Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)