If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to find affordable quotes for Saturn Ion insurance is to compare prices once a year from providers in Portland. Prices can be compared by following these steps.
- Gain an understanding of how auto insurance works and the steps you can take to prevent high rates. Many rating factors that increase rates like inattentive driving and an unacceptable credit rating can be eliminated by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Get rate quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from multiple companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy to see if cheaper Ion coverage is available in Portland. If you can save some money, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Provide written notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application for the new coverage. Immediately place the new proof of insurance paperwork with your vehicle’s registration.
A valuable tip to remember is that you use the same deductibles and limits on each quote and to quote with every company you can. Doing this ensures a level playing field and a better comparison of the market.
It’s an obvious assumption that car insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. People who perform rate comparisons are likely to switch companies because there is a high probability of finding better rates. A study showed that consumers who shopped around every year saved an average of $3,450 over four years as compared to drivers who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding the lowest rates on auto insurance in Portland is the reason you’re here, then knowing the best ways to shop for insurance coverage can save money and time.
Many insurance companies allow you to get insurance quotes online. Getting online rates for Saturn Ion insurance in Portland is fairly simple as all you need to do is type in your required coverages as detailed in the form. Upon sending the form, their system collects your driving and credit reports and generates pricing information.
Getting online rates for Saturn Ion insurance in Portland makes comparing rates easy, and it is imperative to perform this step if you want to find the best rate.
To find out how much you’re overpaying now, check out the insurance providers below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you copy the insurance coverages as shown on your current policy. This guarantees you will be getting a fair comparison for exact coverage.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Portland, OR. To buy cheap car insurance in Oregon, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the lowest price.
Buying the right Ion insurance in Oregon is an important decision
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Portland, car insurance is required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific minimum amounts of liability in order to license the vehicle. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Ion, it’s most likely the lender will force you to have comprehensive coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Saturn at a significantly higher premium and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your vehicle and your assets. It will also reimburse you for medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance outweigh the cost, especially for larger claims. The average driver in America is overpaying over $855 a year so compare rates every year to save money.
Saturn Ion Insurance Premium Factors
Many things are part of the equation when premium rates are determined. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but other criteria are not as apparent like your vehicle usage or your financial responsibility.
The items below are some of the most common factors used by insurance companies to determine rates.
Deter vehicle theft – Choosing to buy a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your insurance. Theft deterrent systems like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms all hinder car theft.
Save by driving cars with good safety ratings – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have lower insurance rates. Safer cars have better occupant injury protection and lower injury rates translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims which can mean better rates for you. If the Saturn Ion scored better than an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website you may pay a lower rate.
Get better rates if married – Your spouse helps lower the price compared to being single. Marriage translates into being more financially stable and it’s proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Liability coverage – Your policy’s liability coverage is the coverage that protects you when a court rules you are at fault for an accident. It provides legal defense starting from day one. This coverage is relatively inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
Lower premiums with uninterrupted coverage – Having a gap between insurance policy dates is a sure-fire way to bump up your insurance costs. Not only will you pay more, getting caught without coverage might get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
Job stress can make you pay more – Jobs such as military generals, executives, and emergency personnel generally pay higher premiums than the average policyholder attributed to stressful work requirements and lengthy work days. Conversely, careers such as farmers, engineers and retirees receive lower rates.
Responsible drivers pay less – A bad driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Careful drivers get better prices compared to drivers with tickets. Having just one ticket can increase rates substantially. Drivers who have received license-revoking citations such as DUI or reckless driving may face state-mandated requirements to maintain a SR-22 with their state’s licensing department in order to continue driving.
Use one insurance company and save – Many insurers will award a discount to customers that buy multiple policies such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can be anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even with this discount, you still need to comparison shop to guarantee you are still saving the most. Drivers may still save money by buying insurance from more than one company.
Portland insurance discounts for a Saturn Ion
Companies offering auto insurance do not list every discount available very well, so here is a list a few of the more well known and the more hidden auto insurance savings.
- Student Discounts – A discount for being a good student may save you up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up to age 25.
- No Accidents – Claim-free drivers are rewarded with significantly better rates on Portland car insurance quote when compared to bad drivers.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or former government employment can earn a discount up to 10% with some auto insurance companies.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying coverage for multiple cars or trucks on one policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some larger companies reward drivers for switching policies before your current expiration date. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Drivers over the age of 55 may be able to get a slight reduction on a Portland car insurance quote.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts could see savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- Driving Data Discount – Drivers who elect to allow driving data collection to spy on when and where they use their vehicle by using a small device installed in their vehicle like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
- Defensive Driver – Participating in a course teaching driver safety skills may get you a small discount depending on where you live.
Just know that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So even though it sounds like you can get free auto insurance, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
A few popular companies and a partial list of their discounts can be found below.
- GEICO has discounts for multi-vehicle, driver training, membership and employees, anti-theft, emergency military deployment, and seat belt use.
- Travelers offers discounts including student away at school, multi-policy, payment discounts, multi-car, IntelliDrive, save driver, and early quote.
- Nationwide has savings for multi-policy, anti-theft, easy pay, good student, and accident-free.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for distant student, alternative fuel, good student, mature driver, business and professional, and early shopping.
- Esurance offers discounts for renters, Switch & Save, good student, good driver, Pac-12 alumni, and online quote.
- State Farm may have discounts that include student away at school, Drive Safe & Save, passive restraint, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, accident-free, and safe vehicle.
- Progressive includes discounts for homeowner, online quote discount, continuous coverage, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- Mercury Insurance may include discounts for annual mileage, multi-car, professional/association, good driver, low natural disaster claims, and type of vehicle.
When getting a coverage quote, ask each company or agent which credits you are entitled to. Discounts may not apply to policyholders in Portland. If you would like to choose from a list of insurers with discount rates in Oregon, click this link.
Different people need different insurance coverages
When quoting and comparing coverage, there isn’t really a “best” method to buy coverage. Every insured’s situation is different.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if you would benefit from professional advice.
- Is my trailer covered?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- What policy terms are available?
- What is no-fault insurance?
- What is the ISO rating for a Saturn Ion?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Get rate quotes but work with a local neighborhood Portland car insurance agent
Some consumers just want to buy from a licensed agent and that is OK! The best thing about getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from local insurance agencies is still important in Portland.
After filling out this short form, the quote information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Portland that give free quotes for your coverage. It’s much easier because you don’t need to contact any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. You can find the lowest rates AND an agent nearby. If for some reason you want to compare prices for a specific company, you can always find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Pick the best car insurance agent in Portland for you
If you would like to find a reliable agent, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agencies that you can choose from. Portland agents may be either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be independent do not work for one specific company so they can write business with many different companies and find you the best rates. If they find a cheaper price, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to do anything.
When comparing auto insurance rates, you should always include rate quotes from multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from. They often place coverage with companies that do not advertise much which could offer lower prices.
Below is a short list of independent agencies in Portland that may be able to give price quotes.
- Hecht and Hecht Insurance Agency Inc.
425 NE Hancock St – Portland, OR 97212 – (503) 542-1130 – View Map
- Elliott, Powell, Baden and Baker Inc
1521 SW Salmon St – Portland, OR 97205 – (503) 227-1771 – View Map
- WelPland Insurance, SE Portland and Clackamas County
5845 SE 82nd Ave – Portland, OR 97266 – (503) 777-5406 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only provide one company’s prices and examples are American Family, State Farm, and AAA. They generally cannot give you multiple price quotes so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive insurance agents are trained well on their company’s products which aids in selling service over price. Some insured continue to use the same exclusive agent mostly because of loyalty to the company and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
The following is a short list of exclusive agents in Portland that can give you comparison quotes.
- Lisa Parks – State Farm Insurance Agent
11116 NE Halsey St A – Portland, OR 97220 – (503) 256-3077 – View Map
- Roland Havens – State Farm Insurance Agent
6720 NE Glisan St – Portland, OR 97213 – (503) 252-1608 – View Map
- Chad Humphrey – State Farm Insurance Agent
15160 NW Laidlaw Rd #210 – Portland, OR 97229 – (503) 992-6251 – View Map
Finding the right auto insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap quote. Any agent in Portland should have no problem answering these questions:
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- If your car is totaled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
Upon receiving good responses for all questions you ask as well as offering an affordable quote, it’s possible that you found a car insurance agent that is a good match to insure your vehicles. Just remember policyholders can cancel coverage for any reason so never assume that you are permanently stuck with a specific agent for any length of time.
Compare auto insurance rates regularly to save
Cheaper auto insurance in Portland can be purchased both online and from local agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some auto insurance companies may not have the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small, regional companies prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
People who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including poor customer service, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, delays in responding to claim requests or even unfair underwriting practices. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new company can be less work than you think.
While you’re price shopping online, do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, an accident victim reduced collision coverage and discovered at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. Your strategy should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best cost.
For more information, take a look at the resources below:
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for High Risk Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for First-time Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Government Employees in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for High School Students in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Teenage Males in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Teachers in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford F-150 in Portland? (FAQ)
- Uninsured Motorist Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Collision Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)