Nobody I know looks forward to paying for insurance, especially when they know it costs too dang much.
It’s easy to assume that insurance companies want to keep your business as long as possible. Drivers who shop around for a cheaper policy will presumably switch companies because there is a great chance of finding a more affordable policy. A recent survey discovered that consumers who make a habit of shopping around saved $3,500 over four years compared to drivers who never shopped around.
If finding budget-friendly car insurance is your objective, then having an understanding of the best ways to shop for insurance coverage can make it easier for you to save money.
Vehicle owners have many insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and though it is a good thing to be able to choose, too many choices makes it more difficult to compare rates and cut insurance costs.
Consumers should take time to shop coverage around occasionally because insurance prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rates on Hummer H2 SUT insurance in Portland at your last renewal a different company probably has better premium rates today. Block out anything you think you know about insurance because you’re about to learn the best methods to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
Locating the best rates in Portland seems hard but is not really that difficult. Virtually everyone who is overpaying for insurance should be able to reduce their rates. But Oregon drivers should learn how companies price insurance differently and apply this information to your search.
Save a ton with discounts
Car insurance is not inexpensive, but there may be some discounts to reduce the price significantly. Some of these discounts will be visible when you quote, but occasionally some discounts must be requested specifically before you will receive the discount.
- Senior Citizens – Seniors may be able to get better car insurance rates.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new H2 SUT can get you a discount due to better safety requirements for new vehicles.
- Early Renewal Discounts – A few companies offer discounts for switching to them early. It can save you around 10%.
- Government Employees – Simply working for the federal government can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your company.
- ABS Braking Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles prevent accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
One last thing about discounts, most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. Just because you may think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you won’t be that lucky.
Large car insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are detailed below.
- GEICO may have discounts that include multi-policy, five-year accident-free, defensive driver, military active duty, emergency military deployment, and multi-vehicle.
- Auto-Owners Insurance includes discounts for air bags, group or association, mature driver, company car, safe vehicle, and good student.
- American Family offers premium reductions for bundled insurance, defensive driver, multi-vehicle, air bags, and TimeAway discount.
- Esurance may include discounts for homeowner, online shopper, online quote, emergency road assistance, good student, claim free, and paid-in-full.
- Progressive may offer discounts for online signing, continuous coverage, homeowner, multi-policy, and multi-vehicle.
- State Farm offers discounts including good driver, passive restraint, multiple policy, Steer Clear safe driver discount, anti-theft, student away at school, and driver’s education.
- AAA offers discounts for good driver, multi-car, anti-theft, good student, education and occupation, pay-in-full, and AAA membership discount.
If you want affordable Portland car insurance quotes, ask each company or agent what discounts are available to you. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policies in your area.
To find low cost Portland car insurance quotes, there are several ways of comparing rates from insurance companies in your area. The best method to find affordable insurance rates involves getting comparison quotes online.
Getting free rates online is quite simple, and it makes it obsolete to drive around to different Portland agent offices. The ability to buy insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you have a complicated situation and need the professional assistance of a licensed agent. Some companies do allow you to price shop your coverage online but buy the policy through an agent.
When comparison shopping, comparing more quotes helps increase your odds of locating a better price. Not every company provides online price quotes, so it’s important to compare rates from them, too.
The following companies are our best choices to provide quotes in Oregon. If you want cheap auto insurance in Portland, it’s highly recommended you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
It’s not one size fits all
Always remember that when buying your policy, there really is no one size fits all plan. Your financial needs are unique.
For instance, these questions can aid in determining whether you will benefit from professional help.
- Should I rate my Hummer H2 SUT as pleasure use or commute?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Which companies will insure me after a DUI?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- If my Hummer H2 SUT is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
If you’re not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Getting quotes from local Portland insurance agencies
Some consumers still like to visit with an insurance agent and that is not a bad decision One of the benefits of getting online price quotes is that you can find cheap car insurance quotes but also keep your business local.
By using this form (opens in new window), your information gets sent to companies in Portland who will return price quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t need to search for any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. You can find better rates and an insurance agent to talk to. In the event you want to get a rate quote from a specific company, just find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Choosing an insurance company is decision based upon more than just the premium amount. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
Types of car insurance agents in Portland
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from a reliable agent, there are two different agency structures to choose from. Car insurance agents are classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents can usually just insure with one company and some examples include Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. They are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies are trained well on their company’s products and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
The following is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Portland that are able to give comparison quotes.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents often have many company appointments and that is an advantage because they can write policies with any number of different companies and find the cheapest car insurance rates. If your premiums go up, your agent can switch companies which requires no work on your part. If you need cheaper car insurance rates, we recommend you include a couple of independent agencies for maximum quote selection.
Below are independent agencies in Portland that can give you price quotes.
Which car insurance company is best in Portland?
Selecting the highest-rated car insurance company is hard considering how many choices drivers have in Oregon. The company rank data displayed below can help you select which insurers you want to consider comparing prices from.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- The General
- Titan Insurance
- Mercury Insurance
Persistent drivers can save
In this article, we presented a lot of techniques to save on Hummer H2 SUT insurance in Portland. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the higher your chance of finding cheaper Portland car insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the best price on insurance is with an unexpected company.
Consumers change insurance companies for many reasons like denial of a claim, delays in responding to claim requests, high prices or poor customer service. It doesn’t matter what your reason, switching insurance companies can be less work than you think.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
How to find affordable quotes for Hummer H2 SUT insurance in Portland
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get budget Hummer H2 SUT insurance is to compare quotes once a year from insurance carriers in Portland.
First, take a little time to learn about individual coverages and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that result in higher rates such as accidents, traffic violations, and your credit history can be amended by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
Second, compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
Third, compare the quotes to your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find better rates and decide to switch, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
Fourth, give notification to your agent or company of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a signed application and payment for the new policy. Immediately store the proof of insurance paperwork somewhere easily accessible.
One thing to point out is to make sure you’re comparing the same coverage limits and deductibles on each price quote and and to get quotes from as many different insurance providers as possible. This helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Additional information is located at these links:
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much are Portland Car Insurance Rates for a Honda Accord? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota 4Runner? (FAQ)
- Prom Night Tips for Teen Drivers (State Farm)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)