Anyone knows that car insurance companies want to keep your business as long as possible. People who shop rates annually are likely to switch to a new company because there is a high probability of finding coverage at a cheaper rate. A recent study showed that people who faithfully checked for cheaper rates saved approximately $70 a month as compared to drivers who don’t regularly compare prices.
If finding the lowest rates on car insurance in Portland is why you’re reading this, then learning a little about how to get price quotes and compare coverage rates can make it easier for you to save money.
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get cheaper Ford Fiesta insurance is to start doing an annual price comparison from insurers who sell auto insurance in Portland.
- First, try to learn a little about policy coverages and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that cause high rates like speeding tickets, careless driving and poor credit rating can be controlled by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. This article provides more information to lower rates and earn larger discounts.
- Second, request rate estimates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while independent agents can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Third, compare the quotes to the price on your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you can save money and decide to switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Fourth, give notification to your current company of your decision to cancel the current policy and submit a down payment along with a completed application for your new coverage. As soon as you have the new policy, put the proof of insurance paperwork in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
One important bit of advice is that you use identical deductibles and limits on each price quote and to quote with all possible companies. Doing this guarantees the most accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
When looking for low cost Portland car insurance quotes, there are a couple ways of comparing price quotes from all the different companies. By far the easiest way to lower the rate you pay for insurance consists of shopping online.
Comparing quotes online is fast and free, and it takes the place of having to make phone calls or go to and from local Portland insurance agencies. Shopping for insurance online eliminates this option unless you have a need for the personal advice of an agent trained in personal lines coverage. It is possible to comparison shop online but have your policy serviced through an agent. When price shopping your coverage, making a lot of price comparisons increases your odds of finding better pricing.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Oregon. If you want to find cheap auto insurance in Portland, it’s highly recommended you visit as many as you can to get the lowest price.
Car insurance does more than just protect your car
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Ford in Portland, insurance is required in Oregon but it also protects you in many ways.
First, just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability in order to drive the car. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a loan on your vehicle, most banks will require you to have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If the policy lapses, the lender will be forced to insure your Ford for a lot more money and require you to pay the higher price.
Third, car insurance preserves both your Ford and your personal assets. Insurance will pay for medical transport and hospital expenses incurred in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your car more than cancel out the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. As of last year, the average driver in Oregon is overpaying more than $810 a year so compare rates every year to make sure the price is not too high.
Portland insurance discounts for a Ford Fiesta
Car insurance companies don’t list all their discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down a few of the more well known as well as some of the hidden credits available to you. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you deserve, you could be saving more on your auto insurance.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a family member in the military can result in better auto insurance rates.
- Telematics Devices – Drivers that enable driving data submission to analyze vehicle usage by using a telematics device such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive may get a rate reduction as long as they are good drivers.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government may reduce rates when you quote Portland car insurance but check with your company.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Requiring all passengers to buckle up before driving could cut 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Putting coverage on a new Fiesta can save up to 30% because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Online Discount – Many companies will provide an incentive get Portland car insurance on their website.
- Professional Memberships – Affiliation with a civic or occupational organization in Portland can get you a small discount on auto insurance.
We need to note that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. A few only apply to individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the appearance that all those discounts means the company will pay you, you’re out of luck. Any qualifying discounts will positively reduce your auto insurance premiums.
Popular auto insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are:
- State Farm has discounts for student away at school, multiple autos, passive restraint, Steer Clear safe driver discount, accident-free, and multiple policy.
- American Family may include discounts for early bird, good driver, mySafetyValet, TimeAway discount, air bags, and bundled insurance.
- GEICO offers discounts including five-year accident-free, military active duty, anti-theft, daytime running lights, seat belt use, and defensive driver.
- 21st Century offers premium reductions for student driver, early bird, air bags, automatic seat belts, good student, and theft prevention.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including multi-vehicle, online quote discount, good student, multi-policy, homeowner, online signing, and continuous coverage.
If you want the cheapest Ford Fiesta rate quotes, ask every company which discounts you qualify for. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not be available to policyholders in Portland. To see providers that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Portland, click here.
Independent versus exclusive insurance agencies
Many drivers still like to buy from a licensed agent and that is OK! One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain lower rates and still choose a local agent. Buying insurance from local agents is definitely important in Portland.
After completing this short form, your insurance coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents who can give free rate quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to search for any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go directly to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND an agent nearby. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance provider, you can always search and find their rate quote page and give them your coverage information.
Listed below is a short list of insurers in Portland that can give you price quotes for Ford Fiesta insurance in Portland.
WelPland Insurance, SE Portland and Clackamas County
5845 SE 82nd Ave – Portland, OR 97266 – (503) 777-5406 – View Map
Deciding on an company needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price. Any agent in Portland should have no problem answering these questions:
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Portland?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
Learning about specific coverages of your insurance policy can help you determine the best coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be ambiguous and coverage can change by endorsement. Below you’ll find the usual coverages offered by insurance companies.
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with an object or car. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers claims such as sideswiping another vehicle, crashing into a building, crashing into a ditch and rolling your car. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your Fiesta to bring the cost down.
Coverage for medical payments
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for bills such as nursing services, rehabilitation expenses, hospital visits and EMT expenses. They are often used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover both the driver and occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Liability insurance protects you from damage that occurs to other’s property or people by causing an accident. This insurance protects YOU against other people’s claims. It does not cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have liability limits of 25/50/20 which stand for $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a limit of $20,000 paid for damaged property. Another option is a combined limit which combines the three limits into one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability insurance covers things such as pain and suffering, attorney fees, medical expenses and repair costs for stationary objects. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but buy higher limits if possible. Oregon requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/20 but it’s recommended drivers buy more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below demonstrates why buying the state minimum limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like hitting a deer, damage from getting keyed and vandalism. The most a insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
This provides protection when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your Ford Fiesta.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (Oregon limits are 25/50/20), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Frequently these coverages are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Persistent drivers can save
While you’re price shopping online, do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits and discovered at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The aim is to find the BEST coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.
The cheapest Ford Fiesta insurance in Portland can be sourced from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, so you need to shop Portland car insurance with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers don’t offer rates over the internet and most of the time these regional carriers only sell through independent insurance agencies.
We just covered a lot of tips how to compare Ford Fiesta insurance prices in Portland. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting affordable Ford Fiesta insurance quotes. You may even find the most savings is with an unexpected company. These smaller insurers often have lower rates on specific markets compared to the large companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
To learn more, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- Understanding Limits and Deductibles (Allstate)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Auto Insurance for a Jeep Grand Cherokee? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Homeowners in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Hyundai Elantra in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with Accidents in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much is Portland Car Insurance for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Drunk Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)