Would you like to buy cheaper Volkswagen Routan insurance in Portland? I really doubt anyone likes paying for insurance, particularly when the price is too high.
Smart shoppers know that insurance companies don’t want their policyholders to compare prices. People who shop around for a cheaper policy will presumably move their business because of the good chance of finding lower rate quotes. A recent insurance study revealed that drivers who routinely compared rates saved about $860 a year compared to people who never compared rates.
If saving the most money on Volkswagen Routan insurance in Portland is your intention, then learning a little about how to shop and compare cheaper coverage can make it easier for you to save money.
Steps to quoting cheaper Volkswagen Routan insurance in Portland
Really, the only way to get affordable Volkswagen Routan insurance in Portland is to compare quotes once a year from insurers who can sell car insurance in Oregon. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
Step 1: Try to learn a little about policy coverages and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that cause rate increases like inattentive driving and a negative credit history can be improved by being financially responsible and driving safely. Read the full article for information to get low prices and find discounts that you may qualify for.
Step 2: Request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can quote prices from many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the quotes to your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save some money and switch companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
Step 4: Notify your current company of your intent to cancel the current policy and submit payment and a signed application to the new company. Once the application is submitted, place the new certificate verifying coverage in your glove compartment.
An important part of this process is to make sure you enter identical coverages on every quote and and to analyze every insurance company. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and a good representation of prices.
You have multiple insurance companies to choose from, and although it’s nice to be able to choose, too many choices makes it more difficult to locate the cheapest rates for Volkswagen Routan insurance in Portland.
You should make it a habit to shop coverage around on a regular basis since rates are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Even if you got the best deal on Volkswagen Routan insurance in Portland a couple years back you will most likely find a better price today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about insurance because you’re about to learn the proper way to save money, get proper deductibles and limits, all at the lowest rate.
This article will help you learn how insurance works and also save some money in the process If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will most likely be able to save money using these techniques. Although Oregon vehicle owners do need to know how companies calculate your policy premium because rates fluctuate considerably.
Discounts for lower-cost auto insurance quotes
Auto insurance companies don’t always publicize every discount they offer in an easy-to-find place, so below is a list some of the best known and the more hidden ways to save on auto insurance.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Drivers that enable their company to spy on when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device such as Progressive’s Snapshot could save a few bucks as long as they are good drivers.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you can combine your auto and home policy and place coverage with the same company you will save as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of 25 to 30%.
- Federal Government Employee – Active or retired federal employment could provide a small rate reduction with certain companies.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Some auto insurance companies give lower rates if you buy a life policy as well.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
The information below illustrates the difference between Volkswagen Routan car insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. Data assumes a female driver, no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, Oregon state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-car, and claim-free discounts applied.
Companies and a partial list of their discounts are shown below.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including military active duty, multi-vehicle, driver training, defensive driver, seat belt use, and five-year accident-free.
- Auto-Owners Insurance discounts include group or association, student away at school, good student, paperless, multi-policy, and mature driver.
- American Family includes discounts for early bird, defensive driver, mySafetyValet, Steer into Savings, air bags, and good student.
- Esurance has savings for online quote, anti-lock brakes, emergency road assistance, homeowner, and good driver.
- Progressive has discounts for homeowner, online signing, good student, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and online quote discount.
- State Farm offers discounts including passive restraint, driver’s education, anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, good student, and student away at school.
- AAA may have discounts that include education and occupation, multi-policy, pay-in-full, AAA membership discount, multi-car, good student, and anti-theft.
Before purchasing a policy, check with each insurance company the best way to save money. Some discounts might not be offered in your state. To see a list of insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Portland, click here.
Most of the larger companies provide prices on the web. The process doesn’t take a lot of time as you just enter your coverage information into a form. Once you submit the form, the company’s rating system requests credit information and your driving record and quotes a price based on the information you submitted. The ability to get online price quotes for Volkswagen Routan insurance in Portland makes it easy to compare insurance prices and it is important to get many rate quotes if you want to find the best possible rates on auto insurance.
To quickly find out how much you can save on auto insurance, visit the companies below or click here to submit a quote request to multiple companies at once. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you input coverages and limits just like they are on your policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you will be getting rate quotes for the exact same coverage.
The companies in the list below offer free quotes in Portland, OR. To get the best cheap auto insurance in Portland, we suggest you compare several of them to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
Insurance rate breakdown
The data table shown below outlines detailed analysis of insurance policy prices for Volkswagen Routan models. Having a good understanding how prices are figured can be useful when making smart choices when buying a car insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Routan S 2WD||$270||$470||$328||$20||$98||$1,186||$99|
|Routan SE 2WD||$304||$572||$328||$20||$98||$1,322||$110|
|Routan SEL 2WD||$304||$672||$328||$20||$98||$1,422||$119|
|Routan SEL Premium 6 Cyl 2WD||$338||$672||$328||$20||$98||$1,456||$121|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Premium costs do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can increase or decrease coverage rates considerably.
The diagram below demonstrates how deductible levels and can change Volkswagen Routan annual premium costs for different age categories. Data assumes a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Difference between full coverage and liability only rates
The information below shows the difference between Volkswagen Routan yearly insurance costs with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The data assumes no claims or driving citations, $100 deductibles, single status, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no clear-cut formula of when to eliminate comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Volkswagen Routan replacement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company will settle for is $5,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying more than $500 annually to have full coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some cases where buying only liability insurance is not a good idea. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you must maintain physical damage coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not remove full coverage.
Learn How to Get Car Insurance at a Discount
Many factors are taken into consideration when premium rates are determined. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but others are more obscure like where you live or your vehicle rating.
Shown below are a partial list of the pieces used by insurance companies to determine rates.
Better drivers have lower prices – Whether or not you get tickets has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Only having one moving violation can increase rates to the point where it’s not affordable. Good drivers receive lower rates as compared to those with violations. Drivers with flagrant citations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence might be required by their state to submit a SR-22 form with their state in order to prevent a license revocation.
The example below demonstrates how traffic citations and at-fault accidents can drive up Volkswagen Routan insurance prices for each different age category. Data assumes a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
- Cheaper rates by combining – The majority of insurers will give discounts to customers that buy multiple policies, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even with this discount applied, it’s still a good idea to check prices from other companies to help guarantee you have the best rates.
- Your occupation and car insurance rates – Careers like real estate brokers, social workers, and financial analysts have the highest rates because of high stress levels and long work days. On the other hand, careers such as farmers, historians and the unemployed get better rates.
- Defend yourself with liability – The liability section of your policy will afford coverage in the event that a jury decides you are liable for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides you with a defense in court up to the limits shown on your policy. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
Insurance costs and driver gender – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that women are safer drivers than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that females are better at driving than males. Both genders cause auto accidents in similar percentages, but the men tend to have higher claims. Men also receive more major tickets like driving under the influence (DUI). Teenage male drivers tend to get in the most accidents and thus pay the highest rates.
The chart below shows the comparison of Volkswagen Routan annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The prices are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
- Alarms and GPS tracking lowers rates – Selecting a car model with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Advanced theft deterrents such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all help prevent your car from being stolen.
- Little extras can really add up – There are a lot of extra coverages that you can buy on your Routan policy. Things like rental car reimbursement, death and dismemberment, and additional equipment coverage could be just wasting money. These may sound like a good investment initially, but if they’re wasting money get rid of them and save.
You are unique and your car insurance should be too
When it comes to coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
For example, these questions could help you determine if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- How much liability coverage do I need in Oregon?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- What is roadside assistance coverage?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- What is the ISO rating for a Volkswagen Routan?
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- When can I cancel my policy?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Exclusive versus independent auto insurance agents
Many drivers prefer to get advice from a local agent and we recommend doing that One of the benefits of comparing insurance prices online is that you can obtain cheaper premium rates and also buy local. Buying from and supporting local insurance agents is important particularly in Portland.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, your information is emailed to local insurance agents who will give competitive quotes to get your business. You won’t need to contact any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. It’s the lowest rates AND an agent nearby. If you wish to compare rates from one company in particular, you can always search and find their rate quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Two types of Portland car insurance agents
When narrowing the list to find a local insurance agency, there are two types of insurance agents that you can select. Agencies in Portland are categorized either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Independent insurance agents do not have single company limitations so they can write business with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If you want to switch companies, they simply move your policy to a different company and the insured can keep the same agent.
If you are comparing auto insurance prices, you need to get insurance quotes from a few independent agents for the best price selection.
Featured below is a partial list of independent agencies in Portland that may be able to provide free rate quotes.
Agents of this type can only provide pricing for a single company and examples are Allstate and State Farm. They usually cannot shop your coverage around so you need to shop around if the rates are high. These agents are highly trained on sales techniques which aids in selling service over price.
The following is a short list of exclusive agencies in Portland willing to provide price quote information.
Picking a insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Where are claims handled?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
Once you have answers to your satisfaction to any questions you may have and inexpensive Volkswagen Routan insurance in Portland quotes, you’ve probably found an auto insurance agent that can be trusted to adequately provide auto insurance.
Choosing the best Volkswagen Routan insurance in Oregon is an important decision
Despite the high insurance cost for a Volkswagen Routan in Portland, buying car insurance is required by state law in Oregon and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
First, most states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability insurance if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you took out a loan on your Routan, almost all lenders will require you to have physical damage coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the lender will be forced to insure your Volkswagen at a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them the higher premium.
Third, car insurance protects not only your Volkswagen Routan but also your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your Volkswagen gets damaged, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. An average driver in America is currently overpaying as much as $810 a year so shop around every year to make sure the price is not too high.
How much can you save?
While you’re price shopping online, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many cases, drivers have reduced physical damage coverage and learned later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your objective should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost.
We just covered quite a bit of information on how to get a better price on Volkswagen Routan insurance in Portland. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a small mutual company.
Consumers leave their current company for any number of reasons including policy non-renewal, high prices, unfair underwriting practices or even not issuing a premium refund. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching companies is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Steps to finding more affordable Volkswagen Routan insurance in Portland
If you want to save the most money, the best way to find better pricing on Volkswagen Routan insurance is to do an annual price comparison from insurance carriers who provide auto insurance in Portland. You can compare prices by following these steps.
First, try to comprehend auto insurance and the things you can change to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as accidents, careless driving, and a bad credit score can be remedied by being financially responsible and driving safely.
Second, compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices for a wide range of companies.
Third, compare the new quotes to your existing rates and determine if cheaper Routan coverage is available. If you can save some money, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
Fourth, provide proper notification to your current company to cancel your current policy and submit a signed application and payment to your new carrier. As soon as you can, keep the new proof of insurance certificate in your vehicle.
The key aspect of shopping around is to make sure you enter the same deductibles and limits on every quote and and to get rates from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this helps ensure a fair rate comparison and the best rate selection.
Additional information can be read below:
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford Edge? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers with Accidents in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)