It’s well known that insurance companies want to keep your business as long as possible. Consumers who shop around for the cheapest rate are very likely to switch companies because the odds are good of finding discount prices. A recent survey found that drivers who regularly shopped around saved over $72 a month compared to drivers who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding budget-friendly car insurance in Portland is your ultimate target, learning the best ways to find and compare auto insurance can save time and money.
The best way to get cheaper auto insurance rates is to compare prices annually from insurers who can sell car insurance in Portland. Prices can be compared by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Gain an understanding of how insurance companies determine prices and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating criteria that increase rates such as distracted driving and a low credit score can be controlled by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Quote rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only quote rates from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple insurance companies. Click to view companies
- Step 3: Compare the quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a lower rate, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
A tip to remember is to try to compare the same amount of coverage on each quote and and to get price quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. This provides an accurate price comparison and the best price quote selection.
Buying affordable auto insurance in Portland is not that difficult as long as you know where to start. In a nutshell, every car owner who has to purchase auto insurance will find a lower price. But Oregon consumers must understand how insurance companies calculate their prices and apply this information to your search.
When comparing insurance rates, know that more quotes helps you find more affordable insurance. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide rate quotes online, so it’s necessary to compare price quotes from the smaller companies as well.
The auto insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide free rate quotes in Oregon. To get the cheapest car insurance in Oregon, we recommend you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Tailor your car insurance coverage to you
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing insurance from an agent or online, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For example, these questions might point out if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- How much cheaper are high deductibles?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage on my Toyota Highlander Hybrid?
- Am I covered if I have no license?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Compare prices but buy from a neighborhood Portland auto insurance agent
Some consumers still like to get advice from a local agent and that is OK! One of the benefits of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find lower rates but also keep your business local.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents who will give competitive quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no need to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered directly to your email. You can find lower rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If for some reason you want to compare rates from a specific car insurance provider, feel free to navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on an insurer requires more thought than just a cheap quote. Any good agent in Portland should know the answers to these questions.
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies in Portland?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
If you want to buy car insurance from a good insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Portland agents can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only provide one company’s prices like Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. They are unable to shop your coverage around so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents are highly trained on sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents.
Listed below are exclusive insurance agencies in Portland who can help you get price quote information.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that elect to be independent are not locked into one company so as a result can place your coverage with lots of companies and get you the best rates possible. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can just switch to a different company and you can keep the same agent. When comparing car insurance rates, you should always include price quotes from independent agents to have the best price comparison.
Below are independent insurance agencies in Portland that are able to give rate quotes.
WelPland Insurance, SE Portland and Clackamas County
5845 SE 82nd Ave – Portland, OR 97266 – (503) 777-5406 – View Map