Anyone knows that auto insurance companies don’t want policyholders to shop around. Consumers who shop for lower rates will probably move their business because there is a significant possibility of finding lower prices. A survey found that consumers who routinely shopped for cheaper coverage saved over $850 each year as compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding low prices for Mercury Sable insurance is your goal, then having a grasp of how to shop and compare insurance can help make the process easier and more efficient.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find discount Mercury Sable insurance is to do a yearly price comparison from insurers in Portland. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
- Spend some time learning about policy coverages and the things you can control to prevent high rates. Many rating criteria that result in higher prices like high-risk driving behaviors and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be amended by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Later in this article we will cover more information to get low prices and earn a bigger discount.
- Request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide rate quotes for many different companies. Click to view companies
- Compare the quotes to your existing rates to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a better price, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Give notification to your agent or company to cancel your current coverage. Submit a completed policy application and payment for your new coverage. As soon as you receive it, keep your new certificate verifying coverage in your glove compartment.
One thing to remember is to make sure you’re comparing the same level of coverage on each price quote and to quote with as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this enables a level playing field and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
If you are already insured, you will be able to buy cheaper insurance using the tips covered below. Buying the cheapest insurance in Portland can initially seem challenging. But Oregon drivers do need to understand how the larger insurance companies market on the web because it can help you find the best coverage.
Quote Portland Mercury Sable insurance online
It’s important to know that comparing more quotes increases the chance that you will find the best rates.
The companies shown below can provide price quotes in Portland, OR. To get the cheapest car insurance in Oregon, it’s highly recommended you compare several of them to find the most competitive car insurance rates.
Three main reasons to buy car insurance
Even though Portland Sable insurance rates can get expensive, maintaining insurance is required in Oregon but also provides important benefits.
First, just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a loan on your car, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it mandatory that you carry insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may insure your Mercury at a more expensive rate and force you to pay for it.
Third, car insurance protects not only your Mercury Sable but also your financial assets. It will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your Sable are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying more than $830 a year so compare quotes from several companies at every renewal to save money.
Discounts can help lower rates on Mercury Sable insurance in Portland
Some companies don’t list all possible discounts very clearly, so we researched some of the more common and also the lesser-known discounts that may be available.
- Early Signing – A few larger companies allow discounts for buying a policy before your current coverage expires. The savings is around 10%.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Factory options such as air bags or automatic seat belts could see savings as much as 30%.
- Paperwork-free – Many companies will give a small break for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Drivers that enable data collection to monitor where and when they drive by installing a telematics device such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system may get a rate reduction if they have good driving habits.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Low mileage vehicles can earn better premium rates on cars that stay parked.
- Save over 55 – If you’re over the age of 55, you may qualify for better car insurance rates.
- Portland Homeowners Discount – Owning a house in Portland can save a few bucks because owning a home requires a higher level of personal finance.
- Federal Employees – Federal government employees could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
- Safety Course Discount – Successfully completing a course teaching defensive driver skills is a good idea and can lower rates if your company offers it.
Drivers should understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Even though the math looks like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
A list of car insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are included below.
- Progressive offers discounts including good student, continuous coverage, online signing, online quote discount, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
- Farmers Insurance may offer discounts for distant student, teen driver, homeowner, bundle discounts, youthful driver, pay in full, and mature driver.
- Farm Bureau has discounts for 55 and retired, driver training, safe driver, multi-vehicle, and youthful driver.
- State Farm may include discounts for multiple policy, student away at school, multiple autos, anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, and driver’s education.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for daytime running lights, good student, multi-policy, five-year accident-free, federal employee, anti-theft, and air bags.
- SAFECO includes discounts for multi-car, safe driver, accident prevention training, teen safety rewards, homeowner, anti-lock brakes, and teen safe driver.
- Liberty Mutual has savings for newly married, preferred payment discount, new graduate, new move discount, hybrid vehicle, and newly retired.
It’s a good idea to ask every company to apply every possible discount. Some credits may not apply everywhere.
Auto insurance is available from your local insurance agencies
Some people still prefer to have an agent’s advice and that is not a bad decision A good thing about comparing auto insurance online is you can get cheap auto insurance rates and still buy from a local agent.
After completing this simple form, your insurance data is emailed to companies in Portland that can provide free Portland auto insurance quotes for your coverage. You won’t need to do any legwork due to the fact that quote results will go to you. Get lower rates without requiring a lot of work. In the event you want to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, feel free to go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
Deciding on an insurance company needs to be determined by more than just the price. A good agent in Portland will have answers to these questions.
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- Does their agency support local causes in Portland?
- Does the agent recommend any additional coverage?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
The type of auto insurance agent you choose is important
If you need to find a reliable insurance agent, you should know the different agency structures and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Portland agents are classified as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only provide pricing for a single company like Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are well trained on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below is a short list of exclusive agents in Portland that are able to give price quote information.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type are not employed by one company so they have the ability to put coverage through many companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, your agent can just switch to a different company and you can keep the same agent. If you are comparing auto insurance prices, we highly recommend that you compare quotes from a couple of independent agencies so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
The following is a short list of independent agencies in Portland that can give you rate quotes.
Car insurance can be complex
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing coverage for your vehicles, there really is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. You are unique and your policy should reflect that.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Are my friends covered when driving my Mercury Sable?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Does every company file a SR-22 automatically?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- Do I need an umbrella policy?
- Is pet coverage available?
- Is my nanny covered when transporting my kids?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area.
What is the best auto insurance company in Portland?
Choosing the best insurance company can be rather challenging considering how many companies sell coverage in Oregon. The company information in the next section may help you select which car insurance providers to look at putting your business with.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- State Farm
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Titan Insurance
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- American Family
Don’t give up on cheaper rates
In this article, we covered some good ideas how to save on Mercury Sable insurance in Portland. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get car insurance rates for, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a lesser-known regional company. They often have lower car insurance rates on specific markets compared to the large companies like Allstate or State Farm.
When searching for inexpensive Portland auto insurance quotes, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your objective should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be read at these sites: