It’s an obvious assumption that car insurance companies want to keep you from comparing rates. Insureds who shop around for cheaper prices are inclined to switch companies because there is a great chance of finding coverage at a more affordable price. A recent car insurance study discovered that drivers who compared price quotes annually saved over $860 a year as compared to drivers who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding budget-friendly insurance is the reason you’re here, then knowing the best ways to shop for insurance premiums can save time and make the process easier.
The easiest way to find affordable quotes for car insurance rates in Portland is to do a yearly price comparison from different companies in Oregon. Drivers can shop around by following these guidelines.
Step 1: Read and learn about individual coverages and the measures you can take to prevent rate increases. Many risk factors that increase rates like inattentive driving and a negative credit rating can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Keep reading for additional ideas to help keep rates affordable and get additional discounts that may have been overlooked.
Step 2: Request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give prices from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers. Compare rates now
Step 3: Compare the new rates to your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save money and buy the policy, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Step 4: Tell your current agent or company of your intent to cancel your current policy and submit a completed policy application and payment for the new coverage. Once received, keep the new certificate verifying coverage in your vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
The key aspect of shopping around is to use the same level of coverage on every price quote and and to get quotes from every insurance company. This enables an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price selection.
Get cheaper rates by taking advantage of discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you may be missing some discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Certain credits will be shown when you purchase, but some need to be asked about prior to receiving the credit.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you combine your auto and home policies with the same insurance company you will save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in qualifying employment or professional organizations could earn you a nice discount on your next car insurance statement.
- Drive Less and Save – Driving less could qualify for discounted premium rates on garaged vehicles.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Have your child enroll in driver’s education as it can save substantially.
- Smart Student Discounts – Performing well in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
- Sign Early and Save – A few insurance companies give discounts for switching to them prior to your current Tiburon insurance policy expiration. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Active Military Service – Having a deployed family member may lower your rates slightly.
- Distant Student Discount – Any of your kids who are attending college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle can be insured at a reduced rate.
- New Car Discount – Buying insurance on a new vehicle can save up to 30% because newer vehicles keep occupants safer.
It’s important to understand that some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way. But any discount will cut the cost of your policy.
Some companies who may offer these money-saving discounts include:
Before you buy a policy, ask each company which discounts they offer. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not be offered in Portland. To see insurers that have a full spectrum of discounts in Oregon, follow this link.
The providers in the list below offer free rate quotes in Oregon. To find the best car insurance in Portland, OR, it’s highly recommended you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
Insurance is unique, just like you
When quoting and comparing the right insurance coverage, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Your financial needs are unique so your insurance should reflect that
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- Why am I required to buy liability insurance?
- Where can I find DUI or SR-22 insurance?
- How high should my medical payments coverage be?
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
If you can’t answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
Get rate quotes but buy from a local Portland insurance agency
Many drivers still like to talk to a local agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Professional agents can help you choose the best coverages and help submit paperwork. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find the best rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying insurance from local agencies is especially important in Portland.
Once you complete this quick form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in Portland who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to search for an agent since price quotes are sent to you instantly. If you have a need to quote rates from a specific insurance provider, feel free to go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Shown below are Portland auto insurance companies willing to provide comparison quotes for Hyundai Tiburon insurance in Portland.
Choosing an insurer requires more thought than just a cheap price quote. Any agent in Portland should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Does their agency support local causes in Portland?
- How long has their agency been in business in Portland?
- Do you need full coverage on every vehicle?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
You can find cheap coverage
You just read many tips how you can compare Hyundai Tiburon insurance rates in Portland. It’s most important to understand that the more companies you get car insurance rates for, the better likelihood of getting affordable Portland auto insurance quotes. You may even find the lowest rates come from a smaller regional carrier. Regional companies may only write in your state and offer lower car insurance rates compared to the large companies like Allstate or State Farm.
Lower-priced auto insurance in Portland is available from both online companies as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. Some auto insurance companies may not have the ability to get a quote online and these regional insurance providers work with local independent agencies.
For more information, take a look at the resources below:
- New vehicle ratings focus on headlights (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for Lyft Drivers? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Teachers in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for a Subaru Forester in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Business Use in Portland? (FAQ)
- Warning systems don’t curb driver distraction (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)