It’s easy to assume that car insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. Drivers who shop around for a cheaper policy will, in all likelihood, switch to a new company because there are good odds of finding lower prices. A recent car insurance study revealed that consumers who routinely shopped for cheaper coverage saved approximately $850 each year compared to other drivers who never shopped around for better prices.
If finding the lowest price on insurance in Portland is your goal, then understanding how to find companies and compare insurance can save time and make the process easier.
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get more affordable Fiat 500 insurance in Portland is to compare prices at least once a year from providers who provide auto insurance in Oregon. Price quotes can be compared by completing these steps.
First, it will benefit you to learn about how companies set rates and the factors you can control to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that cause rate increases like speeding tickets, careless driving and an unfavorable credit rating can be remedied by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article gives more information to help reduce prices and find discounts that you may qualify for.
Second, compare prices from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates from many different companies.
Third, compare the new quotes to the price on your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you can save some money and switch companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
The key thing to know about shopping around is to try to use similar coverage information on each quote request and and to analyze every company you can. Doing this provides a fair rate comparison and a thorough price selection.
When comparison shopping, comparing more rates from different companies helps locate a lower rate. Not every company provides online price quotes, so you need to compare prices from them as well.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Portland, OR. If you wish to find the best cheap car insurance in Oregon, we recommend you click on several of them to get the cheapest price.
Insurance quotes and discounts
Some insurance providers do not advertise all discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so below is a list a few of the more well known and also the more inconspicuous credits available to you. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens can possibly qualify for lower premium rates.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Factory options such as air bags or motorized seat belts could see savings up to 30%.
- Data Collection Discounts – People who choose to allow their company to monitor driving patterns by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive may get a rate reduction if they show good driving skills.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims can earn big discounts as opposed to drivers with a long claim history.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking part in a safe driver course could cut 5% off your bill and make you a better driver.
- Drive Less and Save – Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with lower rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you combine your auto and homeowners policies and insure them with the same company you could get a discount of as much as 10 to 15 percent.
Don’t be shocked that many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. If you do the math and it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you aren’t that lucky.
A list of companies and some of the discounts are shown below.
- Travelers discounts include home ownership, multi-car, payment discounts, multi-policy, student away at school, and early quote.
- 21st Century offers premium reductions for anti-lock brakes, automatic seat belts, student driver, defensive driver, and homeowners.
- State Farm may have discounts that include multiple autos, passive restraint, accident-free, driver’s education, and defensive driving training.
- GEICO may include discounts for five-year accident-free, anti-theft, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and military active duty.
- SAFECO includes discounts for anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, safe driver, teen safe driver, accident prevention training, teen safety rewards, and multi-car.
- AAA has savings for good student, multi-car, multi-policy, education and occupation, anti-theft, AAA membership discount, and good driver.
It’s a good idea to ask every insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. A few discounts may not be available in every state. To locate insurers that offer the discounts shown above in Portland, click here to view.
Learn How to Get Car Insurance at a Discount
Lots of factors are considered when you get your auto insurance bill. Some of the criteria are obvious like a motor vehicle report, but other factors are less obvious such as whether you are married or how safe your car is.
- Insurance rates are higher for high performance vehicles – The make and model of the car you need to insure makes a significant difference in your car insurance bill. Lower cost passenger models usually have the lowest premiums, but your final cost has many other factors.
- Youthful drivers pay more – Older insureds have been proven to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and get fewer tickets. Beginning drivers are proven to be inattentive when at the wheel of a vehicle and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- Safer vehicles save money – Safer cars get lower rates. Vehicles engineered for safety protect occupants better and any reduction in injury severity translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and cheaper rates on your policy. If the Fiat 500 earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you are probably receiving a discount.
- Tickets drive up rates – Having a single speeding ticket or other violation can boost insurance rates substantially. Attentive drivers receive lower rates than bad drivers. Drivers with severe citations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions are required to file a SR-22 with their state in order to legally drive a vehicle.
Insurance losses for a Fiat 500 – Insurance companies use past loss statistics for each vehicle when determining insurance rates. Vehicles that the data determines to have higher claim amounts or frequency will have higher rates for specific coverages.
The information below illustrates the historical loss data for Fiat 500 vehicles. For each type of coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles compiled together is considered to be 100. Numbers shown that are under 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while numbers shown that are more than 100 indicate more frequent losses or tendency to have larger claims.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Fiat 500 Models Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Fiat 500 72 76 66 96 89 84 Fiat 500 Convertible 76 79 60 85 Fiat 500 Electric 73 59 76 60 Fiat 500L 112 80 102 128 93 97BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years