Dodge Grand Caravan insurance rates image courtesy of QuoteInspector.com
A study showed that the vast majority of insurance customers renewed their policy with the same company for four years or more, and 38% of drivers have never compared rates to find cheaper insurance. Consumers in Oregon could save $970 every year by just comparing quotes, but they won't spend time to save money by comparing rate quotes.
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to save on Dodge Grand Caravan insurance is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from insurance carriers who provide car insurance in Portland. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
- Get a basic knowledge of coverages and the measures you can control to keep rates down. Many policy risk factors that drive up the price like accidents, traffic violations, and a less-than-favorable credit history can be controlled by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Read the full article for ideas to prevent rate hikes and earn larger discounts.
- Request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple companies.
- Compare the new quotes to your existing rates to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find better rates and decide to switch, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
A good piece of advice is to make sure you're comparing similar limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get price estimates from as many companies as you can. Doing this ensures an accurate price comparison and a better comparison of the market.
If you have a current insurance policy, you will be able to reduce premiums using the following tips. Finding affordable protection in Portland is not as difficult as people think. Although Oregon drivers must understand the way companies determine how much to charge and use it to find better rates.
To find the best insurance prices, there are several ways of comparing rate quotes from local Portland insurance companies. By far the easiest way to find competitive Dodge Grand Caravan insurance rates is to get quotes online. When price shopping your coverage, quoting more increases your odds of finding a lower rate. Some insurance companies are not set up to provide price estimates online, so you also need to get prices from them, too.
The following companies can provide free rate quotes in Portland, OR. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you get rate quotes from several of them to find the most competitive car insurance rates.
Insuring your Grand Caravan just makes sense
Despite the potentially high cost of Dodge Grand Caravan insurance, buying insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to license the vehicle. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Grand Caravan, it's most likely the lender will require that you carry insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank may insure your Dodge at a more expensive rate and require you to fork over the higher premium.
- Insurance preserves both your assets and your car. It also can pay for medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your car definitely exceed the price paid, especially for larger claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is overpaying over $830 a year so we recommend shopping around at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Premium rates and analysis
The information displayed below outlines estimates of prices for Dodge Grand Caravan models. Learning a little about how insurance prices are determined can aid in making informed decisions when comparing rate quotes.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Grand Caravan CV||$118||$182||$306||$18||$92||$716||$60|
|Grand Caravan SE||$118||$182||$306||$18||$92||$716||$60|
|Grand Caravan Hero||$118||$222||$306||$18||$92||$756||$63|
|Grand Caravan Crew||$134||$222||$306||$18||$92||$772||$64|
|Grand Caravan SXT||$134||$222||$306||$18||$92||$772||$64|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, and claim-free. Estimates do not factor in zip code location which can modify premiums greatly.
Rate comparison of full coverage and liability-only
The example below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Grand Caravan insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in Oregon. The rates are based on no accidents, no driving violations, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are factored in.
Should you buy full coverage or liability only?
There is no clear-cut rule to eliminate physical damage coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than around 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let's pretend your Dodge Grand Caravan replacement cost is $7,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would get paid by your company is $6,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are paying over $600 a year for your policy with full coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some scenarios where only buying liability is not a good idea. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage.
Insurance discounts are available for cheaper rates
Companies that sell car insurance don't list every available discount in a way that's easy to find, so the following list contains both well-publicized and also the lesser-known discounts that you may qualify for. If you aren't receiving every discount available, you're paying more than you need to.
- Organization Discounts - Joining a professional or civic organization is a simple method to lower premiums on your bill.
- One Accident Forgiven - This isn't a discount exactly, but some insurance companies may permit one accident before raising your premiums if you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Early Renewal Discounts - A few insurance companies give discounts for switching companies before your current Grand Caravan insurance policy expires. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Drive Safe and Save - Accident-free drivers may receive a discount up to 45% compared to rates paid by drivers with frequent claims.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Vehicles equipped with air bags may earn rate discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Having worked for a branch of the government can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your company.
- Sign Online - Certain companies give back up to $50 simply for signing online.
- Use Seat Belts - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up before driving can save a little on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Discount for Home Ownership - Simply owning a home can earn you a little savings because owning a home requires personal responsibility.
One thing to note about discounts is that many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, that's just not realistic.
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Grand Caravan insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the premium. Data assumes a female driver, no claims or driving citations, Oregon state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, marriage, multi-car, and multi-policy discounts applied.
A list of insurance companies and some of the discounts include:
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-vehicle, online signing, multi-policy, online quote discount, and homeowner.
- AAA may include discounts for multi-policy, anti-theft, AAA membership discount, pay-in-full, good student, and education and occupation.
- Farmers Insurance has savings for alternative fuel, switch companies, youthful driver, mature driver, and homeowner.
- GEICO offers discounts including good student, driver training, multi-vehicle, seat belt use, and multi-policy.
- Esurance offers discounts for safety device, homeowner, online quote, claim free, and multi-policy.
- SAFECO discounts include accident prevention training, homeowner, teen safety rewards, safe driver, anti-theft, bundle discounts, and drive less.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for driver's education, Drive Safe & Save, safe vehicle, passive restraint, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and multiple policy.
When quoting, ask each company or agent to apply every possible discount. All car insurance discounts might not be offered in your area.
Insurance agencies near you
A small number of people just want to sit down and talk to an agent and that is just fine! An additional benefit of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get better rates and still have a local agent.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is instantly submitted to agents in your area who will give competitive quotes for your coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to contact any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to you. You can find the lowest rates and an insurance agent to talk to. In the event you want to compare rates from one company in particular, you would need to find their quoting web page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding a good company shouldn't rely on just the quoted price. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage in Portland?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Are they full-time agents?
- How often do they review coverages?
- Is the agency covered by Errors and Omissions coverage?
The following is a list of insurance companies in Portland willing to provide comparison quotes for Dodge Grand Caravan insurance in Portland.
- Donna Tallman - State Farm Insurance Agent
6305 SE Powell Blvd - Portland, OR 97206 - (503) 771-2579 - View Map
- Fox Insurance Agency
1819 SW 5th Ave - Portland, OR 97201 - (503) 277-2300 - View Map
- Chris Shobe - State Farm Insurance Agent
2900 SE Stark St b - Portland, OR 97214 - (971) 242-8981 - View Map
- Vern Fonk
9955 SE Washington St #103 - Portland, OR 97216 - (971) 213-1015 - View Map
Upon getting good feedback to your questions as well as a price you're happy with, it's possible that you found an provider that is reliable enough to adequately provide car insurance. But remember, you have the power to cancel coverage whenever you want so don't assume you're contractually obligated to any specific agency for any length of time.
Car insurance coverages for a Dodge Grand Caravan
Understanding the coverages of a car insurance policy helps when choosing the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. Car insurance terms can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement.
Liability coverage will cover damage or injury you incur to people or other property. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show values of 25/50/20 that translate to a $25,000 limit per person for injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $20,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage pays for claims such as loss of income, structural damage, repair bills for other people's vehicles, court costs and pain and suffering. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but it's cheap coverage so purchase higher limits if possible. Oregon state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/20 but drivers should carry more coverage.
The next chart demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not be adequate coverage.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
This coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants as well as damage to your Dodge Grand Caravan.
Since a lot of drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (Oregon limits are 25/50/20), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea.
This coverage pays for damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like vandalism, damage from getting keyed, damage from flooding, a broken windshield and rock chips in glass. The maximum payout you'll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Coverage for medical payments
Med pay and PIP coverage pay for expenses like ambulance fees, chiropractic care and surgery. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is not available in all states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Collision insurance covers damage to your Grand Caravan caused by collision with an object or car. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers things like sideswiping another vehicle, colliding with another moving vehicle, damaging your car on a curb, rolling your car and colliding with a tree. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are older. You can also choose a higher deductible on your Grand Caravan to save money on collision insurance.
One last note
Drivers switch companies for a variety of reasons including high rates after DUI convictions, policy non-renewal, lack of trust in their agent and high prices. Whatever your reason, finding a new car insurance company is not as difficult as it may seem.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don't be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your aim should be to get the best coverage possible at the lowest possible cost, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
More affordable car insurance in Portland is available both online and with local Portland insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both to have the best selection. A few companies may not offer online quoting and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through local independent agencies.
Helpful learning opportunities
- What is Covered by GAP Insurance? (Allstate)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Nissan Versa in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much are Portland Car Insurance Rates for a Honda Accord? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for High School Students in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Car Insurance for 4x4 Vehicles? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Nurses in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a GMC Sierra in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Real Estate Agents in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much is Portland Car Insurance for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Portland Auto Insurance Rates for Hybrid Vehicles? (FAQ)
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Protect Yourself Against Auto Theft (Insurance Information Institute)