The easiest way to get affordable car insurance rates in Portland is to annually compare prices from providers who sell insurance in Oregon. Rates can be compared by following these steps.
- Step 1: Try to understand how companies price auto insurance and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that drive up the price like speeding and an imperfect credit rating can be amended by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Step 2: Get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices for a wide range of companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new quotes to your existing policy and see if you can save money. If you can save some money, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Step 4: Give notification to your current company to cancel your existing policy and submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to the newly selected company. When you receive it, put the new proof of insurance paperwork in a readily accessible location in your vehicle.
An essential thing to point out is that you use the same deductibles and limits on each price quote and and to get quotes from every company you can. Doing this helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
Unimaginable but true, most car insurance buyers have remained with the same car insurance company for more than four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates to find cheaper insurance. Many drivers in Oregon could save as much as $970 a year, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to compare rate quotes online.
If you already have coverage, you will definitely be able to get lower rates using the tips covered below. The purpose of this post is to let you in on how car insurance companies work. Nevertheless, Oregon car owners need to learn the way insurance companies set your policy premium and use it to find better rates.
All the larger car insurance companies allow you to get pricing direct online. Comparing Volkswagen Passat insurance rates online is fairly simple as all you need to do is type in your coverage preferences as requested by the quote form. When complete, the system collects your driving record and credit report and returns pricing information determined by many factors.
This makes it simple to compare prices and it’s also necessary to get many rate quotes if you want to get the lowest payment possible.
To save time and find out how much you’re overpaying now, check out the car insurance providers below. If you currently have coverage, we recommend you replicate the insurance coverages exactly as they are listed on your policy. Doing this assures you are getting rate quotes for exact coverage.
The providers in the list below provide price quotes in Oregon. To buy the best cheap auto insurance in OR, it’s a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to find the most affordable car insurance rates.
Premium rates and analysis
The coverage information shown next covers a range of insurance rates for Volkswagen Passat models. Learning a little about how rate quotes are calculated can help guide drivers when making informed purchases.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Passat Komfort Station Wagon||$214||$406||$256||$16||$76||$968||$81|
|Passat Komfort 4-Dr Sedan||$214||$406||$300||$18||$90||$1,028||$86|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Rates do not factor in specific location which can lower or raise coverage prices greatly.
The illustration below highlights how deductible selection and can change Volkswagen Passat insurance costs for different age groups. The prices are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are factored in.
Male drivers versus female drivers
The illustration below shows the difference between Volkswagen Passat car insurance rates for male and female drivers. Data assumes no violations or claims, full coverage, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Choosing the best Volkswagen vehicle insurance in Oregon is an important decision
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Portland, car insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
First, just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability insurance if you want to drive legally. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a lien on your vehicle, almost all lenders will require you to buy insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the lender may insure your Volkswagen at a much higher rate and require you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
Third, insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. It will also provide coverage for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage will also pay for a defense attorney if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of having car insurance outweigh the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a recent study, the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $820 a year so smart consumers compare quotes at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
What Determines Volkswagen Passat Insurance Premiums?
It’s important that you understand some of the factors that are used to determine your premiums. If you know what determines base rates, this enables informed choices that will entitle you to cheaper rates. Lots of things are taken into consideration when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense like your driving record, although some other factors are less obvious like your vehicle usage and annual miles driven.
The items below are some of the major factors used by insurance companies to determine your rate level.
Accidents are costly – Your driving record impacts premiums far more than you think. Even one moving violation can increase the cost of insurance by as much as thirty percent. Attentive drivers pay less for auto insurance compared to bad drivers. Drivers unfortunate enough to have dangerous citations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence might be required by their state to file a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to legally drive a vehicle.
The diagram below demonstrates how traffic citations and at-fault fender-benders impact Volkswagen Passat car insurance rates for each different age group. The rate quotes are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
- Lower premiums for safer cars – Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce occupant injuries and better occupant protection translates directly to fewer claims and cheaper rates on your policy. If your Volkswagen Passat has at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org it may cost less to insure.
- Liability protection safeguards assets – Liability insurance will protect you if you are responsible for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. Liability provides for a legal defense which can be incredibly expensive. Liability is cheap compared to comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- Is your vehicle theft-ready? – Owning a car with a theft deterrent system can help lower your premiums. Advanced theft deterrents like vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all hinder vehicle theft.
More performance means more cost – The type of car you are buying insurance for makes a significant difference in the rate you pay. The best insurance prices are generally reserved for lower performance four cylinder passenger cars, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
The chart below uses these variables: married female driver age 50, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It compares Volkswagen Passat car insurance rates compared to other models that have a range of performance risks.
Premiums are lower the older you get – Drivers with little experience are proven to be careless and easily distracted with other occupants in the car so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Older people are shown to be more cautious, file fewer claims, and are generally more financially stable.
The data below assumes a single driver, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
- Does your occupation cost you more? – Jobs such as real estate brokers, police officers, and accountants are shown to have higher rates than average because of job stress and extremely grueling work hours. Other professions such as scientists, students and the unemployed pay the least.
- Add-on coverages you don’t need – There are a ton of additional coverages that you can buy if you don’t pay attention. Coverages like personal injury protection, towing coverage, and motor club memberships may be costing you every month. They may sound like good ideas when buying your policy, but if you’ve never needed them in the past eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
Claims statistics for a Volkswagen Passat – Companies analyze historical claim data in order to profitably underwrite each model. Models that historically have a trend towards higher claims will have higher rates.
The next table shows the insurance loss data used by companies for Volkswagen Passat vehicles. For each coverage category, the loss probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is equal to 100. Values under 100 mean the vehicle has better than average losses, while numbers that are greater than 100 show a trend for more claims or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
Volkswagen Passat Insurance Claim Statistics Specific Volkswagen Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Volkswagen Passat 101 99 99 111 113 102BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
How to find a good Portland car insurance company
Buying coverage from the top company is difficult considering how many different companies there are to choose from in Oregon. The information below can help you select which insurers to look at purchasing from.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- Titan Insurance – 95%
- USAA – 94%
- AAA Insurance – 91%
- Nationwide – 90%
- State Farm – 90%
- The Hartford – 89%
- GEICO – 89%
- 21st Century – 88%
- Liberty Mutual – 88%
- Allstate – 88%
Don’t give up on cheaper rates
Drivers switch companies for any number of reasons including not issuing a premium refund, high rates after DUI convictions, policy cancellation or even an unsatisfactory settlement offer. Whatever your reason, finding a great new company is less work than it seems.
As you quote Portland auto insurance, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many cases, someone sacrificed full coverage only to discover later that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The goal is to find the BEST coverage for the lowest cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
You just learned quite a bit of information on how to get a better price on Volkswagen Passat insurance in Portland. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even be surprised to find that the most savings is with some of the smallest insurance companies.
Much more information about auto insurance in Oregon is available below:
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota RAV4 in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)