Nobody that owns a car looks forward to buying car insurance, especially knowing the price is too high.
Unimaginable but true, most car insurance buyers kept their coverage with the same car insurance company for four years or more, and almost half have never shopped around. Portland insurance shoppers can save hundreds of dollars each year, but they just don’t understand how much savings they would realize if they switched to a more affordable policy.
Due to the abundance of options for buying affordable insurance for a Scion xB in Portland, it’s nearly impossible to find a lower cost company.
When price shopping your coverage, comparing a large number of companies gives you a better chance of getting a lower rate.
The following companies can provide free quotes in Portland, OR. To locate cheaper car insurance in Portland, OR, we recommend you visit two to three different companies in order to find the most affordable rates.
Do you qualify for discounts on Scion xB insurance in Portland?
Not too many consumers would say car insurance is affordable, but there may be some discounts that can help lower your rates. Some of these discounts will be visible at the time of quoting, but occasionally some discounts must be requested specifically before you will receive the discount.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Older drivers could receive reduced rates.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course in high school.
- No Claim Discounts – Portland drivers who stay claim-free can earn big discounts as compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Government Employee Discount – Simply working for the federal government may reduce rates when you quote Portland car insurance with a few car insurance companies.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Purchasing coverage when you have multiple vehicles on a single policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Driver Safety – Taking time to complete a course teaching safe driver skills could earn you a small percentage discount if your company offers it.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Keeping the miles down on your Scion could be rewarded with lower premium rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Distant College Student Discount – Kids living away from Portland attending college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle could qualify for this discount.
Just know that some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Despite the fact that it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck.
The information below illustrates the comparison of Scion xB insurance costs with and without discounts applied. The rates are based on a male driver, no claims or violations, Oregon state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-car, multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, and marriage discounts applied.
Large car insurance companies and their offered discounts are:
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including multi-policy, continuous coverage, homeowner, good student, online signing, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for good student, mature driver, electronic funds transfer, youthful driver, early shopping, switch companies, and business and professional.
- Farm Bureau has discounts for driver training, safe driver, good student, youthful driver, multi-policy, and renewal discount.
- State Farm discounts include good student, student away at school, good driver, safe vehicle, and multiple autos.
- GEICO may offer discounts for five-year accident-free, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, driver training, air bags, and membership and employees.
- SAFECO may have discounts that include bundle discounts, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, homeowner, accident prevention training, and teen safety rewards.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts for newly retired, good student, new graduate, new vehicle discount, and newly married.
Check with every prospective company which discounts you may be entitled to. A few discounts may not be offered in your state.
Insurance rate breakdown
The premium table shown next showcases detailed analysis of policy rates for Scion xB models. Having insight into how car insurance premiums are calculated can assist in making smart choices when purchasing an auto insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, and safe-driver. Premium amounts do not factor in specific zip code location which can influence insurance rates greatly.
Scion xB insurance costs by age and gender
The diagram below shows the comparison of Scion xB insurance costs for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no accidents or driving violations, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are factored in.
Difference between full coverage and liability only rates
The example below shows the comparison of Scion xB premium costs with and without full coverage. The data assumes no claims, a clean driving record, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no clear-cut rule to drop comp and collision coverage, but there is a general school of thought. If the annual cost of coverage is about 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let’s say your Scion xB book value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $8,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $800 annually for full coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some cases where dropping full coverage is not financially feasible. If you have an outstanding loan on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest in the vehicle. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not buy liability only.
Eight Tips to Get Cheap Portland Insurance Premiums
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that help calculate the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what controls the rates you pay, this enables you to make decisions that could help you find better car insurance rates.
The list below includes some of the items car insurance companies consider when setting prices.
- Too many car insurance claims and you’ll pay more – Car insurance companies in Oregon give most affordable rates to policyholders that do not abuse their auto insurance. If you file a lot of claims you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Location can affect price – Having an address in a small town has definite advantages if you are looking for the lowest rates. City drivers have congested traffic and a longer drive to work. Less people living in that area translates into fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate.
- Lower rates with continuous car insurance coverage – Having a gap between insurance policy dates will be a guaranteed way to bump up your car insurance costs. In addition to paying higher rates, the inability to provide proof of insurance will get you a revoked license or a big fine. You may have to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Oregon motor vehicle department.
- Low mileage costs less – Driving a lot of miles annually the more you’ll pay to insure it. Many insurance companies apply a rate based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Autos that have low annual miles receive lower rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Incorrect rating for your xB is just wasting money. It’s a good idea to make sure your car insurance declarations sheet is showing how each vehicle is driven, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Don’t get traffic citations – Your driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Getting just one chargeable violation can bump up the cost to the point where it’s not affordable. Careful drivers pay lower auto insurance prices than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who have gotten serious tickets such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may face state-mandated requirements to maintain a SR-22 with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to keep their license.
The illustration below demonstrates how traffic citations and accidents influence Scion xB insurance costs for different age groups. The premium estimates are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
- Deter car thieves – Selecting a car model with a theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention devices like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all hinder vehicle theft.
- Car and home together may be cheaper – Most major insurance companies will give discounts to people who have multiple policies with them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can add up to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even with this discount applied, it’s always a smart idea to compare other Portland xB insurance rates to ensure the best deal.
- Physical damage deductibles – The deductibles define the amount you are required to spend out-of-pocket before your car insurance pays a claim. Physical damage protection, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, insures against damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are rear-ending another vehicle, vandalism, and damage from wind. The higher the amount you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the less your car insurance will be.
Insurance losses for a Scion xB – Companies use historical loss data when they calculate premium rates for each model. Vehicles that historically have high amounts or severity of claims will have a higher cost to insure. The table below demonstrates the insurance loss data for Scion xB vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is set at 100. Percentage numbers below 100 suggest losses that are better than average, while percentage numbers above 100 indicate more frequent claims or tendency to have larger claims.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Scion xB Models Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Scion xB 86 92 89 148 127 116BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Shop online but buy locally
Some consumers just want to talk to a local agent and that is not a bad decision One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is the fact that drivers can get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Upon completion of this quick form, the quote information is instantly submitted to companies in Portland who will give you bids to get your business. There is no reason to find an agent on your own due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. Get lower rates AND an agent nearby. If you want to quote rates from a particular provider, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right company should include more criteria than just the price. Any agent in Portland should have no problem answering these questions:
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Portland?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- What insurance companies do they work with in Portland?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- How are they compensated?
- Are they actively involved in the community?
Not all car insurance agents are the same
When narrowing the list to find a good insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the types of insurance agents and how they function. Car insurance agencies can be classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only provide pricing for a single company like Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. These agents are not able to give you multiple price quotes so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents receive a lot of sales training on sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Portland that can give you price quotes.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can sell policies from many different companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies with many different companies and get the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, your agent can just switch to a different company and the insured can keep the same agent.
If you are comparing car insurance prices, it’s a good idea to check rates from independent agents so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agents in Portland that can give you rate quotes.
WelPland Insurance, SE Portland and Clackamas County
5845 SE 82nd Ave – Portland, OR 97266 – (503) 777-5406 – View Map
After talking to the agent and getting answers to your satisfaction to these questions and an acceptable price quote, you may have just found an insurance agency that can adequately provide car insurance.
Cheaper auto insurance is out there
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your strategy should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
We’ve covered many ways to reduce Scion xB insurance premium rates online in Portland. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the better likelihood of getting cheaper Portland car insurance quotes. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a small mutual company. They often have lower prices on specific markets than their larger competitors like State Farm and Allstate.
How to find low-cost Scion xB insurance in Portland
The best way we recommend to get cheaper auto insurance rates is to regularly compare prices from insurance carriers in Portland. Prices can be compared by completing these steps.
First, spend a few minutes and learn about how car insurance works and the steps you can take to keep rates low. Many risk factors that cause high rates such as traffic violations, accidents, and a bad credit rating can be controlled by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
Second, quote rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices for a wide range of companies.
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate quote and change companies, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
The most important part of shopping around is that you’ll want to compare identical coverages on each quote request and and to get rate quotes from as many different companies as possible. This helps ensure a fair rate comparison and a complete price analysis.
For more information, feel free to browse the following helpful articles:
- Rollover Crash FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Teenagers in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Ford Explorer in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- Hybrid vehicles cost insurers more (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)