How long has it been since you shopped around for cheaper Ford Five Hundred insurance in Portland? There isn’t anyone who looks forward to paying for car insurance, in particular when they could get a better deal.
Amazingly, a large majority of drivers have remained with the same car insurance company for at least four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never shopped around. Consumers in the United States could save an average of almost 47% each year by just shopping around, but they just assume it’s a time-consuming process to compare rates online.
How to find low-cost rates for Ford Five Hundred insurance in Portland
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to find better pricing on Ford Five Hundred insurance in Portland is to begin comparing prices regularly from insurance carriers that sell auto insurance in Oregon. Rate comparisons can be done by following these guidelines.
- Learn about how companies set rates and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that are responsible for high rates such as speeding tickets, accidents and a bad credit score can be remedied by paying attention to minor details.
- Quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide prices from multiple insurance companies. View rates
- Compare the quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save some money and change companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
The most important part of this process is that you’ll want to compare the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get price quotes from as many carriers as you can. Doing this provides a fair price comparison and a good representation of prices.
Online insurance companies like Allstate and Progressive all claim big savings with TV and radio ads and consumers find it hard to separate fact from fiction and find the best price available.
It is always a good idea to do price comparisons as often as possible since rates tend to go up over time. Just because you found the best deal on Ford Five Hundred insurance in Portland a year ago you will most likely find a better price today. You can search a lot of Five Hundred insurance out there, but you can learn some guaranteed methods to quit paying high car insurance rates in Portland.
The quickest method to compare policy rates for Ford Five Hundred insurance in Portland is to know the trick all the major auto insurance companies allow for online access to provide you with free rate quotes. All consumers are required to do is provide a small amount of information including how much school you completed, whether the vehicles are used for commuting, what you do for a living, and coverage limits. Those rating factors is then sent to insurance companies and they respond with quotes instantly.
If you would like to start a quote now, click here and find out if you can get cheaper insurance in Portland.
The companies shown below offer free rate quotes in Portland, OR. If multiple companies are listed, it’s highly recommended you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Buying the right Ford Five Hundred insurance in Oregon is an important decision
Even though Portland Five Hundred insurance rates can get expensive, insurance is required by state law in Oregon and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means state laws require specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage if you want to drive legally. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Five Hundred with a loan, most lenders will require that you carry insurance to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank will be required to insure your Ford at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your car and your assets. It will also cover many types of medical costs that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays expenses related to your legal defense in the event you are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your insurance policy will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of buying enough insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially when you need to use it. According to a recent study, the average American driver is overpaying over $869 every year so it’s important to compare rates at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Eight factors that determine insurance rates
Lots of things are part of the equation when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense such as your driving history, but other criteria are less obvious such as your marital status or your vehicle rating. An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that play a part in calculating your car insurance rates. If you have some idea of what controls the rates you pay, this enables you to make decisions that could result in cheaper rates.
Having a spouse can save on car insurance – Having a wife or husband can actually save you money on your car insurance policy. Having a significant other translates into being more mature and responsible and it’s statistically proven that drivers who are married file infrequent claims.
A car insurance policy lapse can increase prices – Allowing your car insurance policy to lapse is a sure-fire way to increase your rates. In addition to paying higher premiums, not being able to provide proof of insurance can result in a license revocation or jail time. You may need to file a SR-22 with the Oregon DMV.
Low stress job equals lower rates – Careers like fire fighters, executives, and stock brokers usually pay higher premiums than the average policyholder due to stressful work requirements and long work hours. Other jobs such as scientists, athletes and the unemployed generally pay rates lower than average.
Your address can impact prices – Living in small towns and rural areas may provide you with better prices when it comes to car insurance. Residents of big cities tend to have more aggressive driving styles and much longer commute distances. Fewer drivers and short commutes means fewer accidents.
Is your car built for speed? – The performance of the car or truck you own makes a big difference in determining your rates. The cheapest insurance rates tend to be for economy passenger models, but that’s not the only thing that factors into the final price.
Is your vehicle theft-ready? – Buying a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can help lower your premiums. Advanced theft deterrents such as vehicle immobilizer systems, OnStar, and tracking devices like LoJack all hinder vehicle theft.
Low coverage deductibles cost more – Physical damage insurance, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, protects your Ford from damage. A few examples of covered claims are a windshield shattered by a rock, damage from fire, and damage caused by flying debris. The deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. The more you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the bigger discount you will receive.
High policy claims frequency drives up car insurance rates – Insurance companies in Oregon generally give the best rates to insureds who only file infrequent claims. If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can pretty much guarantee either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Your insurance policy is intended for the large, substantial claims.
Take policy discounts and save on Ford Five Hundred insurance in Portland
Some insurers do not list every discount available in a way that’s easy to find, so the list below gives a summary of some of the best known as well as the least known auto insurance savings.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Taking part in a driver safety course could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
- Theft Deterrent Discount – Cars and trucks equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Organization Discounts – Belonging to qualifying clubs or civic groups could earn you a nice discount when shopping for auto insurance.
- Sign Early and Save – A few companies allow discounts for switching companies prior to the expiration date on your current Five Hundred insurance policy. You may see this discount when you get Portland auto insurance quotes online.
- Multiple Cars – Having several vehicles with the same company can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Low Miles Discount – Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with lower premium rates due to less chance of an accident.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don’t profit that way.
To find auto insurance companies that offer some of these discounts in Oregon, click this link.
Can’t I compare prices from local Portland car insurance agents?
Many drivers still prefer to have an agent’s advice and that can be a great decision Insurance agents can answer important questions and help file insurance claims. The best thing about getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheap rate quotes but also keep your business local. Buying insurance from local agents is important particularly in Portland.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is emailed to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your coverage. There is no need to contact any agents since price quotes are sent to you. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance provider, don’t hesitate to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
If you need to find a good Portland insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies and how they function. Portland agents are considered either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Both types of agents can sell and service insurance coverage, but it’s important to point out the difference in the companies they write for because it can influence your selection of an agent.
Agents in the independent channel often have affiliation with several companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies amongst many companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they find a cheaper price, your policy is moved internally and you stay with the same agent. When shopping rates, we recommend you include at a minimum one independent agency so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Featured below is a short list of independent agents in Portland that may be able to give you competitive price quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive agencies write business for a single company and examples are Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. These agents are not able to compare rates from other companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive insurance agents are highly trained on sales techniques which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Listed below are Portland exclusive insurance agencies willing to provide comparison quotes.
Finding the right insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- Will one accident increase rates?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Portland?
- How is replacement cost determined on your vehicle?
- How many companies do they write for?
Persistence will pay off
In this article, we covered a lot of information how to reduce Ford Five Hundred insurance car insurance rates online in Portland. It’s most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the lowest car insurance rates come from an unexpected company. Regional companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates than their larger competitors like Allstate or State Farm.
There are still a few companies who do not offer rates over the internet and these small insurance companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agencies. Lower-priced insurance in Portland is available from both online companies and from local insurance agents, so compare prices from both to have the best selection.
How to find cheaper rates for Ford Five Hundred insurance in Portland
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find lower priced Ford Five Hundred insurance is to do a yearly price comparison from companies that insure vehicles in Portland. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
- Read about how car insurance works and the things you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates like accidents, traffic violations, and an unfavorable credit rating can be rectified by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Compare rates from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices from many different companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if a cheaper rate is available in Portland. If you find a lower rate, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
A good piece of advice is to compare the same amount of coverage on every price quote and and to get rate quotes from as many companies as you can. This provides an accurate price comparison and a better comparison of the market.
Much more information about insurance in Oregon is located at the links below
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- How Much is Portland Auto Insurance for Infrequent Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Ford Explorer in Portland? (FAQ)
- Determining Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)