Toyota Prius insurance policy image courtesy of QuoteInspector.com
Unimaginable but true, almost 70% of drivers have been with the same company for four years or more, and practically 40% of auto insurance customers have never even compared rates from other companies. With the average premium in Oregon being $1,735, drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year just by shopping around, but they just don't want to find affordable rates by getting comparison quotes.
Really, the only way to find lower priced car insurance rates in Portland is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from providers who sell auto insurance in Oregon.
- First, learn about how car insurance works and the factors you can control to lower rates. Many things that drive up the price like traffic violations and your credit history can be improved by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Second, quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from multiple companies.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find better rates, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Fourth, notify your current company of your decision to cancel your current coverage. Submit the completed application along with a down payment for your new coverage. Make sure you put the certificate of insurance somewhere easily accessible.
An important bit of advice to remember is to make sure you enter similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote and and to get rates from all possible companies. Doing this enables an apples-to-apples comparison and the best price quote selection.
Cheaper Portland auto insurance quotes with discounts
Buying auto insurance is not cheap, but there could be available discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Some of these discounts will be visible at the time of quoting, but some need to be asked about before you will receive the discount.
- Drivers Ed for Students - It's a good idea to have your young drivers enroll in driver's education as it can save substantially.
- Driver Safety - Taking time to complete a course in defensive driver could possibly earn you a 5% discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts could cut 10% or more on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Club Memberships - Affiliation with a professional or civic organization is a good way to get lower rates on auto insurance.
- Home Ownership Discount - Owning your own home or condo can get you a discount due to the fact that maintaining a home means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- No Accidents - Insureds with no claims or accidents pay less when compared with policyholders that have many claims.
- Good Student - Being a good student may save as much as 25% on a Portland auto insurance quote. You can use this discount normally until age 25.
- Save over 55 - Drivers over the age of 55 can get a small decrease in premiums.
- Early Signing - Some insurance companies give discounts for buying a new policy before your current expiration date. It could save around 10% when you buy Portland auto insurance online.
Discounts lower rates, but some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you're out of luck. But all discounts should help reduce the premium cost.
The diagram below shows the comparison of Toyota Prius yearly insurance costs with and without discounts applied. The premiums are based on a male driver, no claims or driving violations, Oregon state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, safe-driver, multi-policy, marriage, claim-free, and homeowner discounts applied.
Popular auto insurance companies and a selection of discounts include:
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including driver's education, good student, Drive Safe & Save, anti-theft, accident-free, and good driver.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-policy, homeowner, continuous coverage, good student, and multi-vehicle.
- Travelers has discounts for payment discounts, home ownership, early quote, new car, continuous insurance, hybrid/electric vehicle, and IntelliDrive.
- American Family has savings for mySafetyValet, defensive driver, bundled insurance, accident-free, good driver, and TimeAway discount.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including good student, new graduate, newly retired, teen driver discount, and new vehicle discount.
When quoting, ask every insurance company what discounts are available to you. Savings may not be offered in Portland.
Most larger insurance companies provide prices for coverage direct online. Getting online quotes for Toyota Prius insurance in Portland is easy for anyone as you just enter the coverages you want as detailed in the form. Once entered, the quote system orders reports for credit and driving violations and returns a price quote based on many factors.
Being able to quote online for Toyota Prius insurance in Portland makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it's absolutely necessary to get many rate quotes if you want to get the best rate on car insurance.
To save time and use this form to compare rates, compare rates now from the companies shown below. If you have a policy now, it's recommended you complete the form with the coverage information just like they are on your policy. This guarantees you are getting a rate comparison based on similar coverages.
The companies shown below are ready to provide free quotes in Oregon. In order to find cheaper car insurance in Oregon, we suggest you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Statistics and details
The data table displayed below outlines estimates of rate quotes for Toyota Prius models. Having knowledge of how insurance policy rates are formulated is important for drivers to make decisions when shopping around.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Prices do not factor in specific Portland garaging location which can affect coverage rates significantly.
Male drivers compared to female drivers in Portland
The diagram below shows the difference between Toyota Prius yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers. The rates are based on a clean driving record, no claims, full coverage, $250 deductibles, single status, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Does it make sense to buy full coverage?
The illustration below shows the comparison of Toyota Prius insurance rates with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. Data assumes no claims, a clean driving record, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to drop comp and collision
There is no clear-cut formula to delete comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let's say your Toyota Prius replacement cost is $5,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $4,000 after you pay the deductible. If you are currently paying more than $400 annually for full coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some conditions where only buying liability is not advised. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should keep full coverage in place.
Decisions You Make Can Impact Your Insurance Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for a few of the rating criteria that help calculate the rates you pay for insurance. When you understand what influences your rates, this enables you to make decisions that will entitle you to lower insurance prices. Lots of factors are taken into consideration when quoting car insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving history, but others are more transparent like where you live or how financially stable you are.
- Proper usage rating affects costs - The more you drive in a year's time the higher your rate. A lot of companies calculate rates based on how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks not used for work or commuting can get a lower rate than those used for commuting. It's a smart idea to ensure your declarations sheet is showing the right rating data. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Prius may be costing you higher rates.
- Claim-free discounts can add up - If you file a lot of claims you can pretty much guarantee higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Insurance companies in Oregon award cheaper rates to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Insurance coverage is intended for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
- Extra coverages are wasting money - Insurance policies have a lot of optional add-on coverages that you can get tricked into buying if you aren't diligent. Coverages like roadside assistance, death and dismemberment, and membership fees may be costing you every month. The coverages may be enticing when deciding what coverages you need, but if you've never needed them in the past remove them from your policy.
- Your address can affect price - Residing in smaller towns and rural areas of the country is a good thing when it comes to insurance. Lower population means fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate. People in densely populated areas have more auto accidents and longer commutes to work. The longer drive time means higher likelihood of an accident.
Insurance rates and age - Drivers with little experience tend to be inattentive and easily distracted when driving with friends so they pay higher insurance rates. Older, more experienced drivers tend to be more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
The chart below uses these variables: single driver, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Driving citations increase prices - Your driving citation history has a huge affect on how much you pay. Attentive drivers get better rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Having just one driving citation can boost insurance rates by twenty percent. Drivers who have serious tickets like reckless driving or DUI may find they need to file a SR-22 with their state in order to drive a vehicle legally.
The chart below illustrates how traffic citations and at-fault claims influence Toyota Prius insurance costs for different insured age categories. The costs are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Toyota Prius statistical loss data - Insurance companies analyze the history of losses to calculate a price that offsets possible losses. Vehicles that statistically have high amounts or severity of claims will cost more to insure. The next table illustrates the historical insurance loss data for Toyota Prius vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, as a total average, is represented as 100. Values below 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while numbers above 100 indicate more frequent losses or larger claims.
Toyota Prius Insurance Loss Statistics Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Toyota Prius C Hybrid 113 100 87 120 121 113 Toyota Prius Hybrid 101 97 98 103 118 103 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid 98 89 87 106 114 93 Toyota Prius V Hybrid 94 86 88 88 94 97BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics from IIHS.org for 2013-2015 Model Years
Your car insurance coverage should be tailored to you
Always keep in mind that when comparing a policy, there isn't really a best way to insure your cars. Your situation is unique.
For instance, these questions might point out if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- When can my company non-renew my policy?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Who does medical payments coverage extend to?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Am I better off with higher deductibles on my Toyota Prius?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- Is coverage enough to protect my assets?
- Should I buy full coverage?
If you don't know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form. It's fast, doesn't cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
Buying from insurance agencies
A small number of people prefer to talk to a local agent. Agents will help you protect your assets and help you file claims. The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find lower rates and still have a local agent. Buying from and supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is important especially in Portland.
By using this simple form, the quote information is transmitted to companies in Portland who want to provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no need to contact any agents since price quotes are sent to your email. If you need to get a price quote from a specific company, you just need to jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
The following is a list of car insurance companies in Portland that may be willing to give price quotes for Toyota Prius insurance in Portland.
- Todd Houser - State Farm Insurance Agent
7515 SW Barnes Rd #101 - Portland, OR 97225 - (503) 297-3788 - View Map
- Mariko Locke - State Farm Insurance Agent
5048 SE Hawthorne Blvd a - Portland, OR 97215 - (503) 232-2444 - View Map
- Steve Ching - State Farm Insurance Agent
1018 NW 13th Ave - Portland, OR 97209 - (503) 222-7771 - View Map
- Pibal Insurance Brokers of Oregon
1314 NW Irving St - Portland, OR 97209 - (503) 287-8808 - View Map
Picking the best insurer should include more criteria than just a cheap quote. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
Upon receiving positive feedback to any questions you may have and an acceptable price quote, chances are good that you have found an provider that can be relied on to properly service your car insurance policy.
Protect more than your Toyota Prius
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Toyota in Portland, insuring your vehicle is mandatory in Oregon but it also protects more than you think.
First, most states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability protection in order to be legal. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a lien on your Toyota Prius, it's most likely the lender will make it mandatory that you carry insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Toyota for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them for it.
Third, auto insurance protects your Toyota Prius and your assets. It will also cover many types of medical costs for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay for a defense attorney if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having auto insurance definitely exceed the price paid, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is overpaying over $869 every year so it's recommended you shop around at least once a year to ensure rates are inline.
When shopping online for car insurance, never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many situations where an insured cut full coverage and discovered at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
We've covered many ways to find affordable Toyota Prius insurance in Portland. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the better chance you'll have of finding the cheapest Toyota Prius rate quotes. You may even discover the lowest priced car insurance comes from an unexpected company.
Consumers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including denial of a claim, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, high prices or even being labeled a high risk driver. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching companies is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Additional car insurance information is available below:
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much are Portland Car Insurance Rates for a Honda Accord? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for State Employees in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for a Company Car in Portland? (FAQ)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)