It’s a fact that auto insurance companies don’t want you to compare rates. Insureds who compare rates annually are highly likely to switch insurance companies because they have a good chance of finding better rates. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that people who compared price quotes annually saved approximately $70 a month as compared to drivers who never shopped around for better prices.
If saving money on car insurance in Portland is the reason you’re here, then understanding the best ways to shop for insurance premiums can make the process more efficient.
The preferred way to get cheaper auto insurance rates is to annually compare prices from insurers that sell auto insurance in Portland.
First, try to understand policy coverages and the measures you can take to prevent rate increases. Many policy risk factors that drive up the price such as your driving record and an unacceptable credit rating can be remedied by being financially responsible and driving safely.
Second, quote rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can provide prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
Third, compare the new rates to the price on your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find better rates and decide to switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
Fourth, tell your current agent or company of your intention to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit a completed policy application and payment for the new coverage. Once coverage is bound, safely store the certificate verifying proof of insurance somewhere easily accessible.
The key thing to know about shopping around is to use the same liability limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get rates from as many carriers as you can. This helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Portland, OR. If you wish to find cheaper auto insurance in Portland, we suggest you compare several of them to find the lowest car insurance rates.
Auto insurance does more than just protect your car
Even though Portland Freestyle insurance rates can get expensive, auto insurance is required in Oregon but also provides important benefits.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability protection if you drive a vehicle. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Freestyle, almost all lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you have physical damage coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank may buy a policy for your Ford at a much higher premium rate and require you to reimburse them for the expensive policy.
- Auto insurance protects both your Ford and your personal assets. It will also provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of insuring your Freestyle are without a doubt worth the cost, especially for larger claims. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is overpaying more than $810 a year so it’s recommended you shop around every year to ensure rates are competitive.
How Car Insurance Companies Calculate Ford Freestyle Insurance Costs
One of the most helpful ways to save on car insurance is to to have a grasp of the different types of things that are used to determine your premiums. If you know what impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower car insurance prices.
- Liability limits should be high – Your car insurance policy’s liability coverage is the protection if ever a jury decides you are liable for personal injury or accident damage. It provides for a legal defense which can cost a lot. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to other policy coverages, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
- Does insurance coverage cost more for males? – Statistics show that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. Now that doesn’t mean women are BETTER drivers than men. They both are in accidents at about the same rate, but the males tend to have more serious accidents. Not only that, but men also get more serious tickets like DUI and reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 are the most expensive to insure and therefore are the most expensive to insure.
- Good credit means lower costs – Credit score can be an important factor in calculating your premium rate. If your credit rating is not that good, you could be paying less to insure your Ford Freestyle if you clean up your credit. People that have very high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than drivers who have bad credit.
- Vehicle risk impacts prices – The type of car, truck or SUV you need to insure makes a big difference in your rates. The most favorable rates tend to be for low performance passenger cars, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- Bundle policies and save money – The majority of insurance companies apply lower prices to customers that buy multiple policies such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can be ten or even fifteen percent. If you currently are using one company, it’s in your best interest to compare Ford Freestyle rates in Portland to help ensure you have the lowest rates.
- When should you not file car insurance claims? – If you are a frequent claim filer, you should expect higher rates. Car insurance companies in Oregon give cheaper rates to policyholders who only file infrequent claims. Auto insurance is intended to be relied upon for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Do you know your physical damage deductibles? – Insurance for physical damage to your car, also called comprehensive and collision insurance, protects your Ford from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply would be a dented fender, vandalism, and having your car stolen. Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. The more you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Car insurance rates and age – Older insureds have been proven to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure, and are safer drivers. Teenage drivers are statistically proven to be less responsible when at the wheel of a vehicle therefore car insurance rates are much higher.
Which is the best insurance?
When it comes to choosing coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s needs are different and your policy should reflect that.
For instance, these questions could help you determine if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Does insurance cover tools stolen from my truck?
- What states are considered no-fault?
- Is pet coverage available?
- If my Ford Freestyle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Cheaper auto insurance premiums are out there
Affordable Ford Freestyle insurance in Portland can be sourced on the web and from local agencies, and you need to price shop both to get a complete price analysis. Some auto insurance companies may not have online rate quotes and these small, regional companies only sell through independent agents.
You just learned a lot of techniques to get a better price on Ford Freestyle insurance in Portland. It’s most important to understand that the more companies you get rates for, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable Portland auto insurance quotes. You may even find the most savings is with the least-expected company. These smaller insurers may often insure only within specific states and give better rates compared to the large companies like Allstate and Progressive.
When shopping online for auto insurance, don’t be tempted to reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, an accident victim reduced collision coverage only to find out that it was a big mistake. Your strategy should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price, not the least amount of coverage.
Additional information is located below:
- Booster Seat Ratings (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for High Risk Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Auto Insurance for a Toyota Corolla? (FAQ)
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)