The best way we recommend to find affordable quotes for Chevy Volt insurance is to compare prices regularly from providers who provide car insurance in Portland.
- Step 1: Try to learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the things you can change to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that are responsible for high rates such as traffic violations, accidents, and a negative credit history can be controlled by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Step 2: Quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes from multiple insurance companies. Compare rates
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to the price on your current policy to see if cheaper Volt coverage is available. If you find a better price, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Notify your company or agent to cancel your current coverage. Submit payment and a completed application to your new carrier. As soon as coverage is bound, keep the new certificate of insurance in your glove compartment.
A valuable tip to remember is that you’ll want to make sure you compare the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get rate quotes from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
Smart shoppers know that insurance companies want to keep your business as long as possible. Insureds who get comparison quotes at least once a year are very likely to buy a different policy because they stand a good chance of finding a more affordable policy premium. A recent survey discovered that people who compared rate quotes regularly saved as much as $860 a year compared to policyholders who never shopped around for lower prices.
If finding the best rates on auto insurance in Portland is your goal, learning how to get rate quotes and compare cheaper coverage can help you succeed in saving money.
If you are paying for car insurance now, you will be able to save money using the following tips. Our objective in writing this article is to let you in on how to effectively get price quotes and how to save the most money. Although Oregon consumers must know the way insurance companies determine prices and take advantage of how the system works.
Cheap Chevy insurance prices in Portland
The companies shown below provide price comparisons in Portland, OR. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in OR, we recommend you visit as many as you can to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
Save a ton with discounts
Companies don’t always advertise the complete list of policy discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so we break down some of the more common and also the lesser-known discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Portland car insurance online. If they aren’t giving you every credit you qualify for, you may be paying too high a price.
- Waiver for an Accident – This isn’t a discount exactly, but some insurance companies may permit one accident without raising rates as long as you don’t have any claims for a set time period.
- Safety Course Discount – Participating in a class that teaches driver safety techniques could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Auto/Life Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Full Payment Discount – By making one initial payment instead of making monthly payments you could save 5% or more.
- Discount for Swiching Early – A few insurance companies offer discounts for switching policies before your current Volt insurance policy expires. You could save around 10% when you buy Portland car insurance online.
- Data Collection Discounts – Drivers who elect to allow their company to track when and where they use their vehicle by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system might see lower rates if they show good driving skills.
- Driver’s Ed – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll in driver’s education as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
Don’t be surprised that most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though you would think it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
If you would like to view insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Portland, click here to view.
Insurance Premium Influencing Factors
Lots of factors are used when premium rates are determined. Most are fairly basic such as traffic violations, but other factors are more transparent like your vehicle usage or how financially stable you are. Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that go into determining the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels, this helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
Listed below are some of the most rate-impacting factors that factor into premiums.
- Drive fewer miles and save – The more you drive your Chevy annually the higher your rate. Many insurance companies apply a rate based upon how the vehicle is primarily used. Autos not used for work or commuting get more affordable rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Double check that your auto insurance declarations sheet states the right rating data. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Volt is throwing money out the window.
- How credit score affects auto insurance prices – Having a bad credit score is a big factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. Insureds that have high credit scores tend to be more responsible than drivers with lower credit scores. If your credit rating could use some work, you could be paying less to insure your Chevrolet Volt if you improve your credit rating.
- The type of car you drive affects your costs – The make and model of the car or truck you are buying insurance for makes a big difference in how high your rates are. The most favorable rates are for lower cost passenger vehicles, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Eliminate unneeded extra policy coverages – There are many additional coverages that sound like a good idea at the time if you aren’t diligent. Insurance for personal injury protection, death and dismemberment, and extra life insurance coverage may be costing you every month. These coverages may sound good when talking to your agent, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Good drivers have lower rates – A bad driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Drivers with clean records receive lower rates compared to drivers with tickets. Even a single moving violation could increase your next policy renewal by as much as twenty percent. Drivers who get serious violations like DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may face state-mandated requirements to file a SR-22 with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
- Choose high NHTSA crash test ratings and save – Vehicles that have high safety ratings get lower rates. These vehicles reduce injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates directly to fewer claims passed on to you as lower rates. If your Chevy Volt scored better than four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you may qualify for a discount.
- How much liability protection do you need? – Your policy’s liability coverage will afford coverage if you are determined to be liable for damages caused by your negligence. Your policy’s liability insurance provides for a legal defense to attempt to prove you were not liable. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so insureds should have plenty of protection for their assets.
- Having a spouse pays dividends – Having a significant other actually saves money on auto insurance. Having a significant other translates into being more mature it has been statistically shown that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Chevy Volt statistical loss data – Insurers take into consideration insurance loss statistics for every vehicle when they set coverage costs for each model. Models that statistically have higher losses will be charged more to insure. The table shown below demonstrates the actual insurance loss data for Chevy Volt vehicles.
For each policy coverage, the claim amount for all vehicles combined as an average is set at 100. Values that are under 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values over 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or larger claims.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Chevrolet Volt Models Vehicle Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Volt Electric 89 83 81 71 73 90BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Compare rates but buy from a local Portland insurance agent
Many people still prefer to get advice from a local agent and we recommend doing that The biggest benefit of comparing car insurance online is you can get cheaper premium rates and still have a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, the quote information is emailed to local insurance agents in Portland who will gladly provide quotes for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. You can find lower rates AND a local agent. If you need to get a comparison quote from a specific company, just search and find their rate quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing the best insurer needs to be determined by more than just a cheap price quote. Here are some questions to ask:
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- How long have they worked with personal auto insurance coverage?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
If you want to buy car insurance from a reputable agency, you must know there are a couple types of agencies and how they work. Car insurance agents are considered either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
These type of agents work for only one company like American Family, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Many people buy from the same agent for years mainly due to loyalty to the company rather than having the cheapest rates.
Below are exclusive agents in Portland that can give you rate quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Peggy Romero
7825 SE Foster Rd – Portland, OR 97206 – (503) 255-7828 – View Map
- John Lokting – State Farm Insurance Agent
307 SE 102nd Ave – Portland, OR 97216 – (503) 252-5581 – View Map
- Lisa Parks – State Farm Insurance Agent
11116 NE Halsey St A – Portland, OR 97220 – (503) 256-3077 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel do not sell for just one brand and that is an advantage because they can write policies with any number of different companies and find the cheapest rate. If they find a lower price, the business is moved internally without you having to go to a different agency.
When comparing car insurance rates, it’s recommended you contact a couple of independent agencies for the best price selection. Most also have access to smaller companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Below is a list of independent agents in Portland that are able to give price quotes.
- Chamberlain Insurance
7831 SE Stark St #102 – Portland, OR 97215 – (503) 256-1448 – View Map
- Focus 1 Insurance
1500 NW 18th Ave #107 – Portland, OR 97209 – (503) 206-6588 – View Map
- Ross and Associates Insurance Services, Inc.
9201 SE 91st Ave – Portland, OR 97086 – (503) 698-3833 – View Map
Quote more and you will save more
Insureds leave their current company for any number of reasons including being labeled a high risk driver, unfair underwriting practices, questionable increases in premium or even policy non-renewal. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new auto insurance company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
When buying insurance coverage, make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many cases, consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits and discovered at claim time that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. The aim is to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest cost while still protecting your assets.
Budget-conscious Chevy Volt insurance can be found from both online companies and from local agencies, so you need to quote Portland car insurance with both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies may not have price quotes online and many times these small insurance companies provide coverage only through local independent agencies.
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Ride Shares in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for High Risk Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Car Insurance Quotes for Used Cars? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Teenagers in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Auto Insurance Rates for Electric Cars? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Honda Civic in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Honda CR-V in Portland? (FAQ)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Shopping for a Safe Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)