The easiest way to get affordable car insurance rates is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from providers who sell auto insurance in Portland.
- Get an understanding of the coverage provided by your policy and the changes you can make to keep rates down. Many things that cause rate increases such as accidents, traffic violations, and a negative credit history can be eliminated by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while agents who are independent can quote prices from many different companies. View insurance agents
- Compare the quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you can save money and switch companies, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
A key point to remember is to use identical deductibles and limits on every quote and and to get price quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this ensures an accurate price comparison and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
It’s safe to conclude that insurance companies don’t want their policyholders to compare prices. Consumers who get comparison quotes once a year will most likely switch to a new company because they have good chances of finding a policy with better rates. A recent auto insurance study revealed that people who regularly compared price quotes saved an average of $865 annually as compared to drivers who never compared other company’s rates.
If finding discount rates on insurance in Portland is the reason you’re here, then having an understanding of how to find companies and compare insurance premiums can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
Discount Portland car insurance quotes
Car insurance is expensive, but you might be missing out on some discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Some trigger automatically when you get a quote, but a few must be asked about before you will receive the discount.
- Drivers Education – Teen drivers should take driver’s ed class in school or through a local driver safety program.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Government Employee Discount – Active or former government employment may qualify for a discount when you quote Portland auto insurance with a few car insurance companies.
- Anti-theft System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more on SRX insurance in Portland.
- Pay Early and Save – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of making monthly payments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Homeowners Savings – Being a homeowner can save you money because it requires personal responsibility.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Driving fewer miles may allow you to get discounted prices on garaged vehicles.
- Defensive Driver – Completing a safe driver course could save 5% or more and also improve your driving technique.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
The example below illustrates the difference between Cadillac SRX premium costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. The costs are based on a female driver, no accidents or driving violations, Oregon state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, multi-policy, marriage, multi-car, homeowner, and claim-free discounts applied.
Auto insurance companies that may offer quotes with many of the previously listed discounts possibly include:
Double check with all the companies which discounts you may be entitled to. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in your state. If you would like to see a list of companies who offer free Cadillac SRX insurance quotes in Portland, click here to view.
Most companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive allow consumers to get insurance quotes on the web. Doing online price comparisons for Cadillac SRX insurance in Portland is fairly straightforward as you simply type in the coverage amounts you desire on the page. Upon sending the form, their rating system orders your driving and credit reports and returns pricing information based on the information you submitted. The ability to get online quotes for Cadillac SRX insurance in Portland makes it simple to compare prices and it’s necessary to get many rate quotes if you are searching for affordable insurance pricing.
To quickly compare rates now, take a look at the companies shown below. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend you input the limits and deductibles identical to your current policy. Using the same limits helps guarantee you will be getting rate comparison quotes for similar insurance coverage.
The following companies provide price quotes in Oregon. If multiple companies are listed, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Cadillac SRX insurance charts and tables
The premium information displayed below covers detailed analysis of coverage prices for Cadillac SRX models. Understanding more about how car insurance prices are calculated can help customers make smart choices when buying a policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|SRX Luxury 2WD||$166||$402||$416||$24||$124||$1,132||$94|
|SRX Luxury AWD||$166||$402||$416||$24||$124||$1,132||$94|
|SRX Performance 2WD||$184||$402||$416||$24||$124||$1,150||$96|
|SRX Performance AWD||$184||$402||$416||$24||$124||$1,150||$96|
|SRX Premium 2WD||$184||$402||$416||$24||$124||$1,150||$96|
|SRX Premium AWD||$184||$402||$416||$24||$124||$1,150||$96|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Rate information does not factor in your specific Portland location which can lower or raise prices considerably.
Cost of full coverage in Portland
The chart below compares Cadillac SRX yearly insurance costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The rate quotes are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are factored in.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There is no exact formula of when to exclude full coverage, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of coverage is more than about 10% of the vehicle’s replacement cost less your deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let’s assume your Cadillac SRX replacement cost is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would receive is $5,000 after paying your policy deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $500 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
There are some conditions where removing full coverage is not a good idea. If you haven’t paid off your loan, you have to keep full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not buy liability only.
Auto insurance agents can help
Many people still prefer to talk to a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Most agents can make sure you are properly covered and help in the event of a claim. One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates and still buy from a local agent. Supporting local insurance agencies is definitely important in Portland.
To find an agent, once you fill out this form (opens in new window), your information is sent to local insurance agents in Portland who will give you bids to get your business. There is no need to find an agent on your own due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific car insurance provider, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
When researching a good Portland insurance agent, it’s important to understand the types of insurance agents and how they can service your needs differently. Car insurance agents are either exclusive or independent. Either one can provide car insurance policies, but it’s worth mentioning why they differ since it can impact which agent you choose.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents are normally appointed by many insurers and that allows them to write policies through many companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don’t have to switch agencies. If you need lower rates, you definitely need to compare prices from several independent agencies to have the best price comparison.
Listed below are Portland independent agencies that can possibly get you free car insurance quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These agents have only one company to place business with and examples are State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. They generally cannot place coverage with different providers so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are trained well on what they offer and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive agents in Portland willing to provide price quote information.
Picking an insurance agent requires more thought than just a low price. Get answers to these questions too.
- Does the company have a local claim office in Portland?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Portland?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Oregon?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
Three reasons to not skimp on car insurance
Even though Portland SRX insurance rates can get expensive, insuring your vehicle is mandatory in Oregon but it also protects more than you think.
- Most states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Cadillac SRX with a loan, more than likely the lender will require you to have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your Cadillac at a much higher rate and require you to fork over for the much more expensive policy.
- Car insurance preserves your vehicle and your assets. It will also reimburse you for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your SRX definitely exceed the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. According to a 2015 survey, the average American driver overpays more than $820 a year so you should quote rates once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are competitive.
Insurance coverage breakdown
Having a good grasp of your insurance policy can be of help when determining the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are the normal coverages found on most insurance policies.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage – Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants and also any damage incurred to your Cadillac SRX.
Since many Oregon drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (25/50/20 in Oregon), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage should not be overlooked. Frequently the UM/UIM limits do not exceed the liability coverage limits.
Collision coverage – Collision coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers things like rolling your car, hitting a parking meter, sustaining damage from a pot hole, damaging your car on a curb and scraping a guard rail. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your SRX to save money on collision insurance.
Medical expense coverage – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for bills like EMT expenses, nursing services, dental work and hospital visits. They are used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. It covers both the driver and occupants in addition to any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Auto liability – Liability insurance can cover damage that occurs to a person or their property that is your fault. Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have values of 25/50/20 that translate to $25,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $50,000 for the entire accident, and $20,000 of coverage for damaged property. Alternatively, you may have a combined single limit or CSL which provides one coverage limit with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability coverage pays for claims like emergency aid, legal defense fees, funeral expenses, repair bills for other people’s vehicles and medical expenses. How much liability coverage do you need? That is up to you, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Oregon state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/20 but drivers should carry more coverage.
The chart below shows why low liability limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Comprehensive protection – This coverage pays for damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like hitting a deer, damage from getting keyed, hail damage and vandalism. The highest amount you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Persistent drivers can save
We covered quite a bit of information on how to reduce Cadillac SRX insurance rates online in Portland. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the better likelihood of getting low cost Portland auto insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the lowest rates come from a small mutual company. These companies may often insure only within specific states and give better rates as compared to the big name companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive.
Lower-priced car insurance in Portland is definitely available online as well as from insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. A few companies may not offer rates over the internet and usually these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent agencies.
When buying insurance coverage, it’s a bad idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. In many instances, an accident victim reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your objective should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the lowest possible cost while still protecting your assets.
Additional car insurance information is located below:
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a 20 Year Old Male in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much are Portland Car Insurance Rates for Good Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for 18 Year Olds in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Car Insurance Quotes for Welfare Recipients? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for High Mileage Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- Self-driving cars won’t replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- All About Airbag Safety (State Farm)