The recommended way to quote cheaper Jaguar X-Type insurance is to start comparing prices regularly from companies who sell insurance in Portland.
First, take a few minutes and learn about the different coverages in a policy and the measures you can control to keep rates in check. Many rating factors that cause rate increases like speeding and poor credit rating can be amended by paying attention to minor details.
Second, request price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can quote rates from multiple companies.
Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage and see if you can save money. If you find a better price and change companies, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
One tip to remember is to use the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get price estimates from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this ensures the most accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, most consumers in Oregon renewed their policy with the same company for over three years, and just under half have never quoted auto insurance rates at all. With the average auto insurance premium being $1,847, American drivers could save roughly $860 every year, but most tend to underestimate the amount of savings they would get if they just switched companies.
Finding affordable coverage in Portland is not rocket science. Just about every person who shops around for insurance stands a good chance to find lower prices. Nevertheless, Oregon drivers do need to know how big insurance companies determine what you pay and use it to find better rates.
Auto insurance providers offering cheap prices in Oregon
The companies shown below provide price quotes in Portland, OR. To find cheaper auto insurance in Portland, it’s a good idea that you visit several of them to get the most competitive price.
Insurance discounts help lower rates for Jaguar X-Type insurance in Portland
Some insurers don’t always advertise their entire list of discounts very clearly, so the following is a list of both well-publicized as well as the least known insurance savings.
- Federal Employees – Active or retired federal employment can save as much as 8% depending on your company.
- Driving Data Discount – Drivers who elect to allow data collection to look at their driving habits by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate may get a rate reduction as long as they are good drivers.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles – Buying a policy with several vehicles with one company can get a discount for every vehicle.
- First Accident Forgiveness – This isn’t a discount exactly, but a handful of insurance companies will forgive one accident before your rates go up with the catch being you have to be claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Insureds who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accidents.
- Defensive Driver Discount – Passing a safe driver course is a good idea and can lower rates if your company offers it.
- Use Seat Belts – Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the medical payments premium.
- Auto/Life Discount – Insurance companies who offer life insurance give better insurance rates if you take out life insurance.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Low annual miles may enable drivers to earn better premium rates on cars that stay parked.
As a footnote on discounts, some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, it’s just not the way it works. Any qualifying discounts will reduce your policy premiums.
The best insurance companies and a selection of discounts are outlined below.
- American Family offers premium reductions for defensive driver, multi-vehicle, bundled insurance, mySafetyValet, good student, early bird, and air bags.
- Nationwide may offer discounts for accident-free, Farm Bureau membership, multi-policy, defensive driving, business or organization, and family plan.
- MetLife offers discounts including good student, claim-free, good driver, multi-policy, defensive driver, and accident-free.
- 21st Century has savings for driver training, student driver, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, and 55 and older.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for teen driver, distant student, business and professional, electronic funds transfer, early shopping, and switch companies.
- Allstate may have discounts that include good payer, FullPay discount, new car, EZ pay plan discount, auto/life discount, and premier plus.
If you want low cost Portland auto insurance quotes, ask every insurance company to give you their best rates. Some discounts listed above may not apply to policies in your state. To see a list of insurers with the best Jaguar X-Type insurance discounts in Oregon, click this link.
Local Portland insurance agents and car insurance
Some consumers just prefer to go talk to an agent and that is not a bad decision One of the benefits of comparing rates online is the fact that drivers can get better rates and still have a local agent.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Portland that give free quotes for your business. There is no need to drive around as quotes are delivered directly to your email. You can find the lowest rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you want to compare rates for a specific company, you can always navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Picking a insurance company is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Does their agency support local causes in Portland?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Portland?
- How long has the business existed?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
How to choose the best auto insurance agent in Portland
When finding a reliable insurance agent, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Car insurance agencies can be described as either exclusive or independent.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive normally can only provide a single company’s rates and some examples include Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive agencies are usually well trained in insurance sales which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Below are exclusive insurance agents in Portland that are able to give price quotes.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents in the independent channel do not have single company limitations and that allows them to write policies with multiple insurance companies and get the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, your agent can switch companies and that require little work on your part.
When comparison shopping, you need to check rates from independent agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Portland willing to provide price quote information.
Auto insurance coverage options for a Jaguar X-Type
Knowing the specifics of your auto insurance policy can be of help when determining the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Shown next are typical coverage types offered by auto insurance companies.
Medical expense insurance – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for immediate expenses for surgery, rehabilitation expenses, EMT expenses, prosthetic devices and ambulance fees. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you lack health insurance entirely. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Collision – This coverage will pay to fix damage to your X-Type caused by collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against claims such as rolling your car, scraping a guard rail, hitting a mailbox, sustaining damage from a pot hole and colliding with a tree. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Drivers also have the option to bump up the deductible on your X-Type to bring the cost down.
Auto liability insurance – Liability coverage can cover damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people in an accident. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. Your policy might show liability limits of 25/50/20 that means you have a limit of $25,000 per injured person, $50,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $20,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against claims such as structural damage, court costs, legal defense fees, repair costs for stationary objects and attorney fees. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as high a limit as you can afford. Oregon requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/20 but drivers should carry more coverage.
The illustration below shows why the minimum limit may not be enough.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision) – This pays for damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for things like a tree branch falling on your vehicle, fire damage and hitting a deer. The maximum payout a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the market value of your vehicle, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers – Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your Jaguar X-Type.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (which is 25/50/20), their limits can quickly be used up. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is important protection for you and your family.
Quote more and you will save more
Lower-priced Jaguar X-Type insurance in Portland can be found online as well as from independent agents in Portland, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. Some companies do not provide price quotes online and these small, regional companies only sell through independent agents.
We covered some good ideas how to get a better price on Jaguar X-Type insurance in Portland. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote Portland auto insurance, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from an unexpected company. Some small companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas compared to the large companies like GEICO and State Farm.
Additional detailed information can be found at these sites:
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)
- Who Has the Cheapest Portland Auto Insurance for a Jeep Grand Cherokee? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for State Employees in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for Safe Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Nissan Sentra in Portland? (FAQ)
- Safety Tips for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- What if I Can’t Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)