The recommended way to get the cheapest car insurance rates in Portland is to compare quotes annually from insurance carriers that sell auto insurance in Oregon.
First, spend a few minutes and learn about what is in your policy and the measures you can take to prevent high rates. Many things that are responsible for high rates such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and a less-than-favorable credit score can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. This article provides tips to help reduce premium rates and get discounts that may be overlooked.
Second, obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices for a wide range of companies. Begin your rate comparison
Third, compare the price quotes to your existing policy and see if there is a cheaper rate in Portland. If you can save money and decide to switch, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Fourth, provide adequate notice to your current company of your intention to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application to your new insurance company. As soon as you have the new policy, safely store the certificate of insurance with the vehicle registration.
One bit of advice is to try to compare identical limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get rates from as many companies as you can. Doing this helps ensure a fair price comparison and many rates to choose from.
Sadly, almost 70% of drivers kept buying from the same company for more than four years, and almost 40% of drivers have never compared quotes from other companies. The average driver in Portland can save hundreds of dollars each year, but they don’t know the actual amount they would save if they changed companies.
The quickest way to get policy rate comparisons for GMC Envoy insurance in Portland is to realize most of the bigger providers pay for the opportunity to quote your coverage. All you need to do is spend a couple of minutes providing details such as if you are currently licensed, your credit rating estimate, how much coverage you want, and the make and model of your vehicles. Your information is then submitted to many highly-rated insurers and they respond with quotes with very little delay.
To check rates for your GMC Envoy now, click here and enter the information requested.
The companies shown below provide quotes in Oregon. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit as many as you can to find the lowest car insurance rates.
Lower Insurance Rates with These Tips
Lots of things are part of the equation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious such as traffic violations, but some are less apparent like your vehicle usage or your vehicle rating. Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that play a part in calculating your auto insurance rates. If you have some idea of what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this allows you to make good choices that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
The list below includes some of the items used by companies to determine rates.
- Is your vehicle theft-ready? – Purchasing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Theft deterrent systems like OnStar found on GM vehicles, advanced tracking like LoJack, and vehicle immobilization systems all aid in stopping vehicle theft.
- Gals tend to take less risk – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that females tend to be a little less risky than males. This data doesn’t prove that women are better drivers. Both sexes cause auto accidents at about the same rate, but the males cause more damage. They also get more serious tickets like DUI and reckless driving.
- How do annual miles impact premiums? – The higher the mileage driven each year the more you will pay for auto insurance. A lot of insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage based upon how much you drive. Autos used primarily for pleasure use receive lower rates compared to those used for work or business. Ask your agent if your declarations sheet shows how each vehicle is driven, because it can save money. Having the wrong rating on your Envoy is throwing money out the window.
- Poor credit decisions can cost you – Your credit score can be a huge factor in calculating your premium rate. Consumers who have very high credit ratings tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims as compared to drivers with poor credit scores. If your credit score leaves room for improvement, you could potentially save money when insuring your GMC Envoy by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- Be proud to be claim-free – Auto insurance companies in Oregon provide better rates to people who only file infrequent claims. If you’re an insured who likes to file claims you can expect much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Costs may be higher where you live – Choosing to live in less populated areas of the country can save you money when it comes to auto insurance. Drivers in populated areas tend to have congested traffic and more severe claims. Fewer drivers and short commutes corresponds to lower accident rates in addition to lower liability claims.
Why you need car insurance
Despite the potentially high cost of GMC Envoy insurance, insuring your vehicle is a good idea for several reasons.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability insurance if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your GMC Envoy with a loan, most lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you have physical damage coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may insure your GMC at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your GMC Envoy and your personal assets. It will also reimburse you for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of your driving. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. On average, a vehicle owner in Portland overpays as much as $865 each year so we recommend shopping around once a year at a minimum to make sure the price is not too high.