If you want to save the most money, the best way to find cheaper quotes for auto insurance rates is to do an annual price comparison from insurers who provide auto insurance in Portland.
First, try to learn about how companies price auto insurance and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many factors that result in higher rates like accidents, traffic violations, and an imperfect credit rating can be improved by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
Second, get rate quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices from multiple sources. Compare rates now
Third, compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy and determine if there is any savings. If you find a lower rate quote and change companies, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
A good tip to remember is to use the same coverage limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to look at as many companies as possible. This ensures a fair rate comparison and a complete price analysis.
Astonishing but true according to a recent study, nearly 70% of Oregon drivers kept buying from the same company for four years or more, and roughly 40% of drivers have never compared rate quotes at all. With the average premium in the U.S. being $1,847, drivers can save as much as 46.5% each year by just comparing rate quotes, but most just don't grasp the large savings they would see if they switched to a cheaper policy.
Locating the best rates in Portland is really quite easy. Practically each driver who needs lower cost auto insurance will probably be able to find lower rates. Nevertheless, Oregon drivers benefit from understanding how big insurance companies determine what you pay and take advantage of how the system works.
Auto insurance quotes and discounts
Car insurance companies do not list every available discount very clearly, so we break down a few of the more common and the more hidden discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Portland car insurance online. If you are not receiving all the discounts possible, you could be saving more on your auto insurance.
- Theft Deterrent System - Vehicles with anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more on 124 Spider insurance in Portland.
- Distant Student Discount - Kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home and don't have a car could get you a discount.
- Air Bag Discount - Cars that have air bags can receive discounts of 20% or more.
- ABS Brakes - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with ABS or steering control can stop better under adverse conditions so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Claim-Free Discount - Good drivers with no accidents have much lower rates compared to policyholders that have many claims.
- Discount for Good Grades - Excelling in school may save you up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up to age 25.
- Driver's Ed - Require your teen driver to successfully complete driver's ed class in high school.
A little note about advertised discounts, many deductions do not apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, auto insurance companies aren't that generous.
If you would like to view auto insurance companies who offer online Fiat 124 Spider insurance quotes in Portland, click this link.
When comparison shopping, comparing all the rates in your area increases your odds of finding a lower rate.
The auto insurance companies shown below are ready to provide free rate quotes in Oregon. If you want cheap car insurance in OR, it's highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get the most affordable price.
You Can Change Your Insurance Costs
Many different elements are used in the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense like a motor vehicle report, but other factors are not as apparent such as your credit history or your commute time.
The items below are some of the things that factor into rates.
Low stress employer equals lower prices - Occupations such as judges, architects, and accountants have higher premium rates attributed to stressful work requirements and extremely grueling work hours. On the flip side, careers like professors, athletes and the unemployed have lower than average premiums.
Annual mileage impacts premiums - The more you drive your Fiat in a year the more you'll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers rate vehicles based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks that sit idle most of the time cost less to insure than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Having an incorrect usage rating on your 124 Spider may be wasting your money. It's a good idea to make sure your declarations sheet is showing the right rating data, because improper ratings can cost you money.
Accidents drive up prices - A bad driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Just one driving citation may cause rates to rise by as much as twenty percent. Drivers who don't get tickets pay lower auto insurance prices than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who get multiple tickets like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may find they need to file a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to legally drive.
Save money by having multiple policies - Many insurers apply a discount for people that buy multiple policies, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. The discount can be as much as ten percent or more Even if you're getting this discount consumers should still compare Fiat 124 Spider rates in Portland to ensure the best deal.
Vehicles with better crash test results cost less to insure - Vehicles that have high safety ratings get lower rates. Vehicles built for safety help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and reduced instances of injuries means your insurance company pays less passed on to you as lower rates.
Your spouse saves you money - Getting married may cut your premiums on your policy. Having a spouse demonstrates that you tend to be more responsible and statistics show married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Liability coverage - Liability insurance kicks in if ever you are responsible for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. This coverage provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
Improve your credit rating - Credit history factor in determining what you pay. People that have high credit ratings tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers with lower credit ratings. If your credit rating is lower than you'd like, you could be paying less to insure your Fiat 124 Spider by improving your credit score.
When to have guidance from a local insurance agent
Certain consumers would rather visit with an insurance agent and we recommend doing that One of the great benefits of comparing rate quotes online is you can get cheap insurance rates and also buy local.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Portland that can provide free Portland car insurance quotes for your insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to leave your house due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to you. Get lower rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you have a need to quote rates for a specific company, you can always navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
Picking the best insurer should depend on more than just the quoted price. You should also get answers to these questions.
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
- What is the agency's Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- What kind of financial rating does the company have?
Two types of car insurance agents
When researching a reliable agent, it's helpful to know the types of insurance agents and how they can service your needs differently. Insurance agents are considered either independent or exclusive.
Agents of this type have only one company to place business with such as Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agencies are very knowledgeable on their company's products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Drivers often buy from exclusive agents mostly because of high brand loyalty and solid financial strength.
Listed below are Portland exclusive insurance agents who can help you get rate quotes.
- Lisa Parks - State Farm Insurance Agent
11116 NE Halsey St A - Portland, OR 97220 - (503) 256-3077 - View Map
- Michael Holton - State Farm Insurance Agent
7113 SW Macadam Ave - Portland, OR 97219 - (503) 517-9090 - View Map
- Larry Rodman - State Farm Insurance Agent
7850 SW Barbur Blvd - Portland, OR 97219 - (503) 246-7753 - View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type often have affiliation with several companies so they can write business with an assortment of companies and get you the best rates possible. If you want to switch companies, they can switch companies in-house which is easy for the insured. When comparing insurance rates, it's a good idea to get rate quotes from independent agents to maximize your price options. They also have the ability to place coverage with smaller regional carriers that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Portland that are able to give price quote information.
- Darrell Grenz Insurance Agency
5651 N Lombard St - Portland, OR 97203 - (503) 206-6736 - View Map
- Fournier Group
510 SW 5th Ave #701 - Portland, OR 97204 - (503) 251-2255 - View Map
- Propel Insurance
888 SW 5th Ave #1170 - Portland, OR 97204 - (503) 467-7540 - View Map
Three reasons to insure your 124 Spider
Despite the high insurance cost for a Fiat 124 Spider in Portland, insurance is mandatory in Oregon but it also protects more than you think.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability in order to be legal. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your 124 Spider has a loan, it's most likely the lender will have a requirement that you have insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Fiat at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your Fiat 124 Spider and your assets. It will also provide coverage for medical bills incurred in an accident. Liability coverage will also pay attorney fees if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your car more than offset the price you pay, particularly if you ever have a claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is overpaying over $750 every year so it's recommended you shop around at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
Drivers switch companies for many reasons like high rates after DUI convictions, policy cancellation, being labeled a high risk driver and even an unsatisfactory settlement offer. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company is actually quite simple.
We just covered many tips how you can shop for Fiat 124 Spider insurance online. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers could even find that the lowest car insurance rates are with a lesser-known regional company.
Cheaper auto insurance in Portland can be purchased on the web and from local agencies, so you should compare both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies may not offer the ability to get a quote online and these small, regional companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
To learn more, feel free to visit the resources below:
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Seniors in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for High School Students in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much is Portland Car Insurance for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)