It's a known fact that insurance companies don't want policyholders to compare prices from other companies. People who compare other rates will presumably buy a new policy because there is a great chance of finding lower prices. A survey found that drivers who regularly shopped around saved about $865 annually compared to drivers who never compared prices.
If finding the lowest price on Dodge Ram insurance is your ultimate target, then having some insight into the best way to quote and compare coverages can help make the process easier.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to find discount Dodge Ram insurance in Portland is to do a yearly price comparison from different companies who provide car insurance in Oregon. Rate comparisons can be done by following these steps.
- Step 1: Gain an understanding of how insurance companies determine prices and the modifications you can make to keep rates low. Many things that result in higher rates like speeding tickets, careless driving and a lousy credit rating can be controlled by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Request price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide rate quotes from multiple insurance companies. View a list of agents
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy to determine if you can save on Ram insurance in Portland. If you find a lower rate quote and change companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Step 4: Notify your agent or company of your intention to cancel your existing policy. Submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to the newly selected company. Immediately place your new proof of insurance certificate in your vehicle's glove compartment or console.
One important bit of advice is to compare similar coverage information on every price quote and and to get rate quotes from as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and maximum price selection.
Cheap companies for Dodge Ram insurance
The car insurance companies shown below are our best choices to provide free quotes in Portland, OR. If you wish to find the cheapest auto insurance in OR, it's a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
The premium information shown next covers estimates of insurance premium costs for Dodge Ram models. Having knowledge of how auto insurance premiums are established is important for making informed decisions when comparing rate quotes.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Ram Quad Cab ST 2WD||$266||$400||$368||$22||$110||$1,166||$97|
|Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 2WD||$302||$486||$368||$22||$110||$1,288||$107|
|Ram Quad Cab SLT 2WD||$302||$486||$368||$22||$110||$1,288||$107|
|Ram Crew Cab ST 2WD||$302||$486||$368||$22||$110||$1,288||$107|
|Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$302||$486||$368||$22||$110||$1,288||$107|
|Ram Crew Cab SLT 2WD||$302||$486||$368||$22||$110||$1,288||$107|
|Ram Crew Cab TRX 2WD||$302||$486||$368||$22||$110||$1,288||$107|
|Ram Quad Cab SLT 4WD||$302||$486||$368||$22||$110||$1,288||$107|
|Ram Crew Cab ST 4WD||$302||$486||$368||$22||$110||$1,288||$107|
|Ram Crew Cab Sport 2WD||$336||$574||$368||$22||$110||$1,410||$118|
|Ram Quad Cab Sport 2WD||$336||$574||$368||$22||$110||$1,410||$118|
|Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 4WD||$336||$574||$368||$22||$110||$1,410||$118|
|Ram Crew Cab TRX 4WD||$336||$574||$368||$22||$110||$1,410||$118|
|Ram Crew Cab SLT 4WD||$336||$574||$368||$22||$110||$1,410||$118|
|Ram Quad Cab Laramie 2WD||$336||$574||$368||$22||$110||$1,410||$118|
|Ram Crew Cab Laramie 2WD||$336||$574||$368||$22||$110||$1,410||$118|
|Ram Crew Cab Sport 4WD||$336||$574||$368||$22||$110||$1,410||$118|
|Ram Quad Cab Sport 4WD||$336||$574||$368||$22||$110||$1,410||$118|
|Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4WD||$336||$660||$368||$22||$110||$1,496||$125|
|Ram Quad Cab Laramie 4WD||$336||$660||$368||$22||$110||$1,496||$125|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and claim-free. Information does not factor in specific zip code location which can lower or raise premium rates greatly.
Full coverage rates vs. liability-only in Portland
The example below illustrates the difference between Dodge Ram car insurance rates with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in Oregon. The premiums are based on no claims or violations, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are factored in.
Deciding between full coverage and liability only
There isn't a steadfast formula to exclude full coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than 10% of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let's assume your Dodge Ram claim settlement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most your company would pay you is $5,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying in excess of $500 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are a few situations where dropping full coverage is not recommended. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not opt for liability only.
You Can Change Your Insurance Costs
Many factors are taken into consideration when quoting car insurance. Most are fairly basic like your driving record, although some other factors are not quite as obvious such as your marital status or how financially stable you are. An important part of buying insurance is that you know the factors that go into determining the rates you pay for car insurance. When consumers understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables you to make decisions that will entitle you to lower rates.
- Safer vehicles cost less to insure - Vehicles that have high safety ratings are cheaper to insure. Safer cars reduce the chance of injuries and fewer serious injuries means your insurance company pays less and thus lower rates.
- More traffic equals higher premiums - Being located in smaller towns and rural areas of the country can be a good thing when shopping for auto insurance. Drivers in populated areas have to deal with more aggressive driving styles and longer commutes to work. Fewer drivers means reduced accidents.
Driving citations increase rates - Just one citation could increase your next policy renewal forty percent or more. Drivers who don't get tickets receive lower rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who have serious citations such as reckless driving or DUI are required to submit a SR-22 form with their state in order to prevent a license revocation.
The information below shows how violations and accidents can drive up Dodge Ram annual premium costs for different ages of insureds. The rates are based on a married male driver, full coverage, $500 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
- Raise comp and collision deductibles and save - Comp and collision deductibles define the amount the insured will be required to pay if you file a covered claim. Coverage for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, insures against damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply would be a windshield broken by a bird, damage from fire, or theft of your vehicle. The more you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the less your car insurance will be.
- Job and insurance premiums - Occupations such as lawyers, executives, and accountants are shown to have higher average rates due to intense work requirements and long work hours. On the flip side, careers like scientists, engineers and retirees get better rates.
- Frequent insurance claims increase premiums - If you file claims often, you can expect either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Car insurance companies in Oregon provide discounts to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Insurance coverage is designed for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Auto insurance discounts help lower rates for Dodge Ram insurance in Portland
Auto insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but there's a good chance there are discounts that you may not know about. Many discounts should be triggered when you quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked about prior to receiving the credit.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Drivers who insure more than one vehicle with one company can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Clubs and Organizations - Joining a professional or civic organization could earn you a nice discount on your policy.
- Driver's Education for Students - Teen drivers should successfully take a driver's education course if it's offered in school.
- Accident Waiver - This one is not really a discount per se, but some insurance companies may permit one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Military Discounts - Having a family member in the military could trigger a small discount.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to wear their seat belts can save 10% or more on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Responsible Drivers - Drivers without accidents can save as much as half off their rates than their less cautious counterparts.
- Own a Home - Owning your own home or condo can save you money because maintaining a house requires personal responsibility.
- Switch and Save Discount - Some larger companies provide a discount for signing up prior to your current Ram insurance policy expiration. This discount can save up to 10%.
One last thing about discounts, some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. So when the math indicates you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won't be that lucky.
The example below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Ram yearly insurance costs with and without policy discounts. The information is based on a female driver, no violations or accidents, Oregon state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, homeowner, claim-free, multi-policy, multi-car, and marriage discounts applied.
To view auto insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Portland, follow this link.
Comparing prices from local Portland insurance agencies
Many people would rather buy from a licensed agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the benefits of comparing rates online is that you can obtain the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting local insurance agents is still important in Portland.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is immediately sent to participating agents in Portland who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to leave your house because prices are sent straight to your inbox. You can most likely find cheaper rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you need to get a price quote from one company in particular, you can always navigate to their website and submit a quote form there.
Two types of auto insurance agents
When narrowing the list to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they are slightly different. Agents in Portland can be classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents are appointed with more than one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with any number of different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they find a cheaper price, they simply move your policy to a different company and you stay with the same agent.
If you are comparing insurance prices, you absolutely need to get some free quotes from a couple of independent agencies to maximize your price options.
Shown below is a small list of independent insurance agents in Portland that may be able to give you free insurance quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents of this type can only write with one company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm, and AAA. These agents are not able to provide prices from multiple companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents receive extensive training in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage.
Below are Portland exclusive agencies that are able to give comparison quotes.
Deciding on an auto insurance agent should depend on more than just a cheap price quote. Any good agent in Portland should know the answers to these questions.
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Do they get paid more for recommending certain coverages?
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Is there a local claims center in Portland?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
Portland car insurance company ratings
Selecting the right insurer can be challenging considering how many choices there are in Portland. The company information shown below can help you choose which auto insurance companies to look at shopping prices with.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- The General
- Titan Insurance
- Mercury Insurance
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- American Family
- The Hartford
- Titan Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- Mercury Insurance
More quotes mean more car insurance savings
Cheap Dodge Ram insurance in Portland can be found online and from local insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies may not provide price quotes online and usually these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agencies.
We covered quite a bit of information on how to get a better price on Dodge Ram insurance in Portland. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your comparison will be. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier. Some small companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than their larger competitors like Progressive or GEICO.
For more information, feel free to visit the following helpful articles:
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- How Much are Portland Car Insurance Rates for a Learners Permit? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Car Insurance Rates for College Students? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Chevrolet Equinox in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Toyota Tacoma in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for a School Permit in Portland? (FAQ)
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- New Honda safety features benefit drivers of all ages (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)