Expensive auto insurance in Portland can stress out your family’s budget and force you to prioritize other expenses. Comparing rates annually can lower your rates and help to make sure you’re not throwing money away.
We don’t have to point out that fact that car insurance companies want to keep you from comparing rates. People who shop around for better prices will most likely move their business because they stand a good chance of finding coverage at a more affordable price. A recent survey discovered that people who compared rates regularly saved an average of $860 a year as compared to drivers who never compared rates.
If finding budget-friendly rates on Jeep Patriot insurance is the reason you’re reading this, then having an understanding of how to quote prices and compare car insurance can help simplify the process.
How to buy affordable Jeep Patriot insurance in Portland
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get cheaper Jeep Patriot insurance in Portland is to annually compare prices from providers who provide car insurance in Oregon.
Step 1: Read about how companies set rates and the modifications you can make to lower rates. Many risk factors that result in higher prices such as at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be amended by paying attention to minor details.
Step 2: Compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from multiple companies.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your current policy premium to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate quote and buy the policy, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
Step 4: Provide written notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current coverage and submit a down payment and signed policy application to your new company or agent. When you receive it, place your new proof of insurance certificate with your registration paperwork.
The most important part of shopping around is to use identical limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. This enables the most accurate price comparison and maximum price selection.
With drivers having so many auto insurance companies to choose from, it is hard for the average consumer to pick a lower cost insurer.
It’s a good idea to do rate comparisons quite often because auto insurance prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Even if you got the lowest price on Jeep Patriot insurance in Portland a few years ago there is a good chance you can find better rate quotes now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate how to use online quotes to buy cheaper Jeep Patriot insurance in Portland.
The quickest method to compare insurance rates from multiple companies is to take advantage of the fact car insurance companies have advanced systems to compare their rates. The one thing you need to do is provide information including which vehicles you own, how much you drive, driver details, and your job. Your details is then submitted to many different companies and they return quotes within a short period of time.
To start a quote now, click here then complete the form.
The companies shown below offer comparison quotes in Portland, OR. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in Oregon, it’s highly recommended you get price quotes from several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
Jeep Patriot insurance rate analysis
The price information shown below outlines different rate quotes for Jeep Patriot models. Learning more about how insurance prices are calculated can help guide drivers when making smart policy decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Patriot Sport 2WD||$266||$502||$432||$26||$130||$1,356||$113|
|Patriot Sport 4WD||$266||$502||$432||$26||$130||$1,356||$113|
|Patriot Limited 2WD||$306||$610||$432||$26||$130||$1,504||$125|
|Patriot Limited 4WD||$306||$610||$432||$26||$130||$1,504||$125|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Oregon minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Rate information does not factor in specific location which can change premiums significantly.
The illustration below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can influence Jeep Patriot premium costs for different age groups of insureds. The data is based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Should you buy full coverage?
The illustration below compares Jeep Patriot annual premium costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in Oregon. The prices are based on no claims or driving citations, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no policy discounts are applied.
Guidelines for eliminating full coverage
There isn’t a written rule for excluding physical damage insurance, but there is a general convention. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than around 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let’s assume your Jeep Patriot book value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most your company would pay you is $3,000 after paying your policy deductible. If it’s costing in excess of $300 annually for full coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are a few cases where removing full coverage is not advised. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to keep full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Why you need insurance for your Jeep vehicle
Despite the high insurance cost for a Jeep Patriot in Portland, car insurance may be required for several reasons.
- Almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Jeep has a loan, almost all lenders will require that you carry insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Jeep for a much higher rate and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your Jeep Patriot and your assets. It also can pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney in the event you are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially with large liability claims. But the average driver in Oregon is wasting up to $869 every year so compare quotes from several companies at every renewal to ensure rates are competitive.
Learn How to Get Auto Insurance for Less
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing a few of the rating criteria that aid in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. When consumers understand what determines base rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with big savings.
The list below includes some of the major factors auto insurance companies consider when setting your rate level.
Get a ticket, pay higher prices – Even a single ticket can boost insurance rates by twenty percent. Drivers who don’t get tickets get better rates as compared to those with violations. Drivers unfortunate enough to have severe violations such as reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence are required to prove financial responsibility with their state DMV in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
The information below demonstrates how citations and at-fault collisions impact Jeep Patriot premium costs for each different age group. The premiums assume a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
- Stay claim-free and save money – Companies in Oregon generally give better rates to drivers who do not file claims often. If you frequently file small claims, you can expect higher rates. Your car insurance is designed for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
- Put fewer miles on your vehicle – The higher the miles on your Jeep in a year’s time the more it will cost to insure it. The majority of insurers calculate prices based upon how much you drive. Vehicles not used for work or commuting cost less to insure than those that get driven frequently. Double check that your policy is rated on the proper vehicle usage, because it can save money. An incorrectly rated Patriot can result in significantly higher rates.
- Big cities have higher premiums – Residing in smaller towns and rural areas of the country may provide you with better prices when insuring your vehicles. City drivers tend to have more aggressive driving styles and longer commute times. Fewer drivers and short commutes corresponds to lower accident rates in addition to lower liability claims.
- Only buy what you need – There are a lot of additional coverages that can add up when buying auto insurance. Things like replacement cost coverage, better glass coverage, and extra life insurance coverage may be costing you every month. They may seem good at first, but if you’ve never needed them in the past remove them and pocket the money.
Insurance premiums and driver gender – Over the last 30 years, statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. However, this does not mean females are better drivers. Women and men cause at-fault accidents in similar percentages, but the men tend to have higher claims. Not only that, but men also get ticketed for serious violations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly.
The information below shows the difference between Jeep Patriot insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The data assumes no claims or driving citations, full coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in.
Jeep Patriot insurance claim data – Auto insurance companies take into consideration historical loss data for every vehicle to help determine the rate you pay. Models that the statistics show to have higher prevalence or dollar amount of losses will cost more for coverage. The information below illustrates the compiled insurance loss statistics for Jeep Patriot vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is a value of 100. Values under 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while values that are above 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased probability of a larger loss.
Auto Insurance Loss Data for Jeep Patriot Models Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Jeep Patriot 4dr 2WD 80 139 65 123 121 140 Jeep Patriot 4dr 4WD 73 121 67 98 100 111BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Earn discounts on Portland car insurance
Some insurance providers don’t necessarily list the complete list of policy discounts very well, so the list below gives a summary of some of the best known and also the lesser-known credits that you can use to lower your rates.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Older drivers are able to get a small discount on rates.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Fewer annual miles on your Jeep can earn discounted car insurance rates on garaged vehicles.
- Military Discounts – Being on active deployment in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Telematics Data – Policyholders that allow their company to study driving manner by using a telematic data system like Allstate’s Drivewise could see a rate decrease as long as they are good drivers.
- Accident Forgiveness – Not really a discount, but some companies like State Farm and Allstate will allow you to have one accident before they charge you more for coverage if you are claim-free for a specific time period.
- Air Bag Discount – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts may qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you combine your home and auto policies and place coverage with the same company you could get a discount of up to 20% and get you inexpensive Jeep Patriot insurance in Portland.
- New Car Discount – Putting insurance on a new Patriot can save up to 30% compared to insuring an older model.
- Good Students Pay Less – A discount for being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. The discount lasts up until you turn 25.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you’re out of luck.
The illustration below illustrates the comparison of Jeep Patriot insurance premiums with and without some available policy discounts. The price estimates are based on a female driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, Oregon state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, claim-free, homeowner, marriage, multi-policy, and safe-driver discounts applied.
To choose companies who offer discounts in Portland, click this link.
Your situation helps dictate your coverage
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s needs are different.
For instance, these questions could help you determine if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Is a fancy paint job covered?
- When should I not file a claim?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- What discounts do I qualify for?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- Will my insurance pay for OEM parts?
- Why is insurance for a teen driver so high in Portland?
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
Are auto insurance agents used anymore?
A small number of people just want to talk to a local agent and often times that is recommended Licensed agents will help you protect your assets and help submit paperwork. An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that drivers can save money and get cheaper prices and still buy from a local agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, the quote information is immediately sent to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to contact an agency since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. In the event you want to quote rates from a specific company, feel free to visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Picking the best insurance company should include more criteria than just a cheap price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- How many years have they been established?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Will a damage claim use OEM or aftermarket replacement parts?
- When do they do a full risk review?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
When looking for a local Portland insurance agency, you must know there are a couple different types of agents and how they can service your needs differently. Insurance agents can be described as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Both types can do a good job, but it’s worth mentioning the difference in the companies they write for because it can impact your agent selection.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive write business for a single company such as AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. They generally cannot compare other company’s rates so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies receive a lot of sales training on what they offer which can be an advantage.
Shown below are Portland exclusive agencies who can help you get price quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent do not write with just one company so they can write business through lots of different companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. If prices rise, they simply move your policy to a different company and you can keep the same agent.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you should always contact several independent insurance agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
The following are independent insurance agents in Portland that can give you price quotes.
After getting positive responses and a good coverage price, chances are good that you have found an auto insurance agent that is a good match to service your policy.
Portland auto insurance company ratings
Selecting a highly-rated insurance provider is hard considering how many different companies sell coverage in Oregon. The rank data displayed below can help you pick which insurers to look at when looking for cheaper rates.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- The General
- Titan Insurance
- Mercury Insurance
Affordable rates are available
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can find cheap Jeep Patriot insurance in Portland. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the lowest premium rates come from a small mutual company.
Lower-priced Jeep Patriot insurance in Portland is possible on the web as well as from insurance agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies may not provide rate quotes online and many times these regional insurance providers only sell through local independent agencies.
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s not a good idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are many occasions where someone sacrificed liability limits or collision coverage to discover at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price.
Steps to finding low-cost rates for Jeep Patriot insurance in Portland
It takes a few minutes, but the best way to get low-cost Jeep Patriot insurance in Portland is to regularly compare quotes from insurance carriers who provide auto insurance in Oregon. Prices can be compared by following these steps.
- Step 1: Gain an understanding of individual coverages and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that cause rate increases like inattentive driving and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be controlled by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Step 2: Quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from a single company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from multiple companies. View rates
- Step 3: Compare the new quotes to your existing coverage and see if there is a cheaper rate in Portland. If you find a better price and switch companies, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Give proper notification to your current agent or company to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to the newly selected company. Be sure to place your new proof of insurance paperwork along with your vehicle registration.
The critical component of shopping around is to compare the same deductibles and limits on every price quote and and to get quotes from every company you can. Doing this helps ensure an accurate price comparison and a thorough price selection.
- Self-driving cars won’t replace humans (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for Lyft Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for College Graduates? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a GMC Sierra in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Real Estate Agents in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much is Portland Car Insurance for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for Low Mileage Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)