Unbelievably, over 70% of consumers have purchased from the same company for more than four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never shopped around. Consumers in Portland can save hundreds of dollars each year just by comparing rates, but they don’t believe the large savings they would see if they moved their coverage to a different company.
The best way to find low-cost prices for car insurance rates is to do a yearly price comparison from providers in Portland. Drivers can shop around by following these guidelines.
- It will benefit you to learn about auto insurance and the steps you can take to drop your rates. Many things that drive up the price like getting speeding tickets and an unacceptable credit score can be improved by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can quote prices from many different companies. View a list of agents
- Compare the quotes to your existing policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save money, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
One thing to point out is to try to use identical deductibles and limits on each quote and and to get quotes from as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this ensures a fair price comparison and a good representation of prices.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in Portland, OR. To find cheap car insurance in Portland, OR, we suggest you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Determine discounts on Portland car insurance
Some providers don’t always list all their discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the next list breaks down some of the more common and the harder-to-find discounts that you may qualify for.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed with a military unit could be rewarded with lower rates.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Sign Early and Save – Some companies give discounts for renewing your policy prior to the expiration date on your current Trax insurance policy. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Bundled Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you could earn a discount of nearly 15% which can help you find low cost Chevrolet Trax insurance.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Federal government employees could qualify for a slight premium decrease with select insurance companies.
- Club Memberships – Joining qualifying clubs or civic groups is a good way to get lower rates on your policy.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Buying coverage for all your vehicles on the same car insurance policy can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
Don’t be surprised that most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
Companies who may offer most of the discounts above include:
Before purchasing a policy, check with each company to give you their best rates. Some discounts may not apply in your area. To see insurers that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Portland, follow this link.
Three reasons to not skimp on car insurance
Despite the high insurance cost for a Chevy Trax in Portland, paying for car insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
First, almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your car has a lienholder, it’s most likely the lender will stipulate that you carry insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may insure your Chevy for a much higher rate and force you to pay the higher price.
Third, car insurance preserves both your car and your personal assets. It will also cover hospital and medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your car insurance policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of insuring your car are definitely more than the cost, especially when you need to use it. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays more than $800 each year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison every year to ensure rates are competitive.
Will just any policy work for me?
When buying the right insurance coverage, there isn’t really a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s needs are different and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving out-of-state?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- What does medical payments cover?
- Why do I only qualify for high-risk insurance?
- Am I covered while delivering pizza?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Oregon?
If you can’t answer these questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
You may require the services of an insurance agency
Many people just prefer to sit down with an agent and doing that can be a smart decision Agents can point out coverage gaps and give you someone to call. One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get cheap insurance quotes but also keep your business local. Buying insurance from small agencies is important especially in Portland.
By using this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents in Portland who will return price quotes for your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to find an agent on your own as quotes are delivered directly to you. If you need to compare prices from a specific insurance provider, just go to their quote page and give them your coverage information.
Choose an insurance agent wisely
When looking for a reliable agent, it helps to know the two different agency structures that you can choose from. Agents in Portland can be categorized as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Both can write policy coverage, but it is important to understand the difference in the companies they write for because it may have an impact on the kind of agent you use.
Independent Insurance Agencies or Brokers
These type of agents are not employed by one company and that allows them to write policies with many different companies and find you the best rates. If they quote lower rates, they can switch companies in-house and you stay with the same agent. If you need lower rates, it’s a good idea to get rate quotes from at a minimum one independent agency so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
Shown below is a small list of independent agents in Portland who may be able to give you competitive price quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These type of agents can only provide one company’s prices like AAA, Allstate, and State Farm. They generally cannot provide prices from multiple companies so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. These agents are very knowledgeable in insurance sales which aids in selling service over price.
Shown below are exclusive agencies in Portland willing to provide price quotes.
Choosing the best car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Oregon?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Portland?
- How many companies do they write for?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?