If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get budget auto insurance rates in Portland is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from providers that insure vehicles in Oregon.
Step 1: Gain an understanding of the different coverages in a policy and the things you can control to keep rates low. Many risk factors that increase rates such as at-fault accidents and an unacceptable credit score can be remedied by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
Step 2: Get rate quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices for a wide range of companies. Compare rates now
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to determine if you can save on Spark EV insurance in Portland. If you find a lower rate and change companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
Step 4: Give notification to your agent or company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit a signed application and payment for your new policy. Once the application is submitted, place your new certificate of insurance in an accessible location in your vehicle.
The key thing to know about shopping around is to make sure you enter the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to get quotes from as many different companies as possible. This provides an accurate price comparison and the best price selection.
It’s amazing but 70% of consumers have been with the same company for well over three years, and almost half have never compared rates to find lower-cost insurance. Oregon consumers could save almost 60% a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t believe how much savings they would realize if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
Five Tips to Get More Affordable Portland Insurance Prices
An important part of buying insurance is that you know a few of the rating criteria that go into determining the level of your policy premiums. If you have some idea of what determines premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get cheaper rates. Lots of factors are part of the equation when pricing auto insurance. A few of the factors are predictable such as your driving history, but some are not as apparent like where you live and annual miles driven.
Listed below are some of the most common factors insurance companies consider when setting rates.
- Amount of liability protection – Your insurance policy’s liability coverage provides coverage if you are ruled to be at fault for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Liability insurance provides legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Pay more out-of-pocket – The deductibles are the amount of money the insured will be required to pay if you file a covered claim. Physical damage coverage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply are colliding with a stationary object, collision with a deer, and damage from wind. The more you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Single drivers take more risk – Having a spouse actually saves money when buying insurance. Marriage is viewed as being more stable financially and it’s statistically proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- Always keep your policy in force – Having a gap between insurance policy dates will be a guaranteed way to increase your renewal premiums. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance may result in a steep fine or even jail time. Then you may be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Oregon motor vehicle department.
- Lower rates for safer cars – Cars with five star safety ratings tend to be cheaper to insure. These vehicles reduce occupant injuries and fewer injuries translates directly to fewer claims and cheaper rates on your policy. If your Chevy has ratings of a minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website it is probably cheaper to insure.
Get the best coverage at the best price
Cheaper Chevy Spark EV insurance in Portland can be bought online and with local Portland insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection. A few companies may not have online quoting and usually these smaller providers work with independent agents.
As you shop your coverage around, never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal should be to get the best coverage possible at the lowest possible cost, not the least amount of coverage.
More detailed insurance information is located in these articles:
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Seniors in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Portland Auto Insurance Quotes for Lyft Drivers? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance FAQ (Trusted Choice)
- Auto Insurance Facts and Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)