The preferred way to find low-cost prices for car insurance rates in Portland is to regularly compare price quotes from insurers in Oregon. You can shop around by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Learn about coverages and the things you can control to keep rates low. Many rating criteria that drive up the price like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and your credit history can be amended by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Continue reading for tips to prevent expensive rate increases and find missing discounts.
- Step 2: Obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates from multiple companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rates to your existing rates and see if you can save money. If you find a better price, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Step 4: Notify your current company to cancel your existing policy and submit a signed application and payment to your new company or agent. As soon as you have the new policy, put the certificate verifying proof of insurance in your vehicle's glove compartment or console.
An important part of this process is to use the same coverage limits and deductibles on every price quote and to quote with every insurance company. This helps ensure a level playing field and the best rate selection.
It's hard to fathom, but the vast majority of drivers have purchased from the same company for well over three years, and nearly the majority have never even compared quotes to find cheaper rates. Drivers in Oregon could save an average of nearly $1,000 each year just by shopping around, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to find cheaper car insurance rates.
Finding cheaper car insurance rates is not a difficult process. Consumers just need to take a few minutes comparing price quotes to find the company with cheaper Portland auto insurance quotes.
It's so easy to compare rates online that it makes it a waste of time to drive to insurance agencies in your area. The ability to get quotes online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you have a need for the advice and guidance of a local agency. Drivers can compare online quotes and have a local agent actually service the policy.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide price quotes in Oregon. If you wish to find the best cheap car insurance in Portland, OR, we recommend you compare several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
Save a ton with discounts
Car insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but you may find discounts to cut the cost considerably. A few discounts will automatically apply when you quote, but some need to be specially asked for in order for you to get them. If you aren't receiving every discount available, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Pay Now and Pay Less - By paying your policy upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- 55 and Retired - Seniors can get lower premium rates.
- Buy New and Save - Buying coverage on a new vehicle can save you some money because newer vehicles are generally safer.
- Discounts for Multiple Vehicles - Purchasing coverage when you have multiple cars or trucks on a single policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Drive Safe and Save - Drivers without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates as compared to drivers with claims.
- Theft Deterrent Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Discount for Multiple Policies - When you have multiple policies with one insurance company you will save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Driving Data Discount - Policyholders that allow driving data collection to monitor driving habits remotely such as Progressive's Snapshot and State Farm's In-Drive might get better premium rates if they are good drivers.
- Claim-Free Discount - Insureds who avoid accidents and claims are rewarded with significantly better rates on Portland auto insurance quote when compared with insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, it's just not the way it works.
To choose insurers offering car insurance discounts in Oregon, click here.
When to contact an insurance agent
Many people would prefer to sit down with an agent and that is not a bad decision Professional agents are trained risk managers and help submit paperwork. An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is you may find better rates but also keep your business local. Putting coverage with neighborhood insurance agencies is still important in Portland.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is immediately sent to agents in your area who want to provide quotes to get your business. There is no need to even leave your home because prices are sent immediately to your email address. If you want to compare prices from a particular provider, don't hesitate to jump over to their website and complete a quote there.
Below are Portland car insurance companies that can give you price quote information for Buick Regal insurance in Portland.
Deciding on a insurance company is decision based upon more than just a cheap price. Any agent in Portland should have no problem answering these questions:
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
Four Tips to Get Lower-cost Portland Insurance Rates
The best way to find cheaper car insurance is to take a look at some of the elements that are used to determine the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what impacts premium levels, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to lower rates.
The following are some of the things used by your company to calculate rates.
Teen drivers pay high prices - Older insureds are shown to be more cautious, cause fewer claims and accidents, and are safer drivers. Teenage drivers are proven to be inattentive when driving so they pay higher car insurance rates.
Better premiums on vehicles with better crash test results - Cars with high safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. These vehicles reduce occupant injuries and lower rates of occupant injuries means your insurance company pays less and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your Buick has ratings of a minimum an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it may cost less to insure.
Performance makes a difference - The performance level of the car you are insuring makes a huge difference in your rates. Lower performance four cylinder passenger models normally have pretty low rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
Single drivers take more risk - Walking down the aisle actually saves money compared to being single. Having a spouse demonstrates that you tend to be more mature and responsible and it's statistically proven that being married results in fewer claims.
Insurance losses for a Buick Regal - Companies use historical loss data as a tool for profitable underwriting. Models that have higher frequency or amount of claims will have a higher premium rate. The table shown below demonstrates the historical insurance loss data for Buick Regal vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles averaged together is a value of 100. Values that are 100 or less suggest a better than average loss history, while numbers that are greater than 100 indicate a higher chance of having a claim or an increased chance of a larger loss.
|Vehicle Make and Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Buick Regal 2WD||96||92||82||104||94||97|
|Buick Regal 4WD||113||87|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Protect your vehicle and other assets
Despite the potentially high cost of Buick Regal insurance, insuring your vehicle may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In Oregon these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Buick Regal with a loan, it's most likely the lender will require you to have comprehensive coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If the policy lapses, the bank will be required to insure your Buick at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
- Car insurance protects both your assets and your car. It will also provide coverage for many types of medical costs that are the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your Regal are definitely more than the cost, particularly for liability claims. But the average American driver is overpaying over $700 annually so you should quote your policy with other companies every year to make sure the price is not too high.
What is the best auto insurance company in Portland?
Choosing the top insurance provider is difficult considering how many different companies sell coverage in Portland. The ranking information in the next section may help you pick which insurers you want to consider when comparing rate quotes.
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA - A++
- Travelers - A++
- GEICO - A++
- State Farm - A++
- The Hartford - A+
- Esurance - A+
- Nationwide - A+
- Allstate - A+
- Mercury Insurance - A+
- Titan Insurance - A+
Top 10 Portland Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- State Farm
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Titan Insurance
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
Persistence will pay off
When getting Portland auto insurance quotes online, do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many instances, consumers will sacrifice collision coverage and learned later that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest price.
Affordable Buick Regal insurance in Portland can be found online as well as from independent agents in Portland, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection. Some companies do not provide internet price quotes and usually these regional carriers provide coverage only through independent agents.
For more information, link through to the following helpful articles:
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Handicapped Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for a Nissan Rogue in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Subaru Outback in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Unemployed Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Inexperienced Drivers in Portland? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Immigrants in Portland? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Teenage Females in Portland? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers Over Age 50 in Portland? (FAQ)
- Understanding Rental Car Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)